GlobalHealthPhD2020

PhD Applicants: Fall 2020

Congrats to all of you who got acceptances! And good luck to those who are still waiting... it seems endless.

Did you guys reach out to your interviewer(s) after the the actual interview to say 'thank you'/provide more info/etc? DO you think it's a good idea to do so?  

1 hour ago, GlobalHealthPhD2020 said:

Waitlisted for JHU IH! Not expecting any movement on the waitlist, but forever hopeful 😊

This process is so competitive and I’m just realizing how many applications programs get! I’m sorry to everyone in the similar waitlist/rejection boat

How did you become notified? By email? Or checking portal?

Just now, MDMS2020 said:

How did you become notified? By email? Or checking portal?

So I actually just sent an email to the program coordinator! I’m unsure why but programs don’t necessarily send waitlist notifications, so that’s the only way I found out! I hope this helps 😊

Just now, GlobalHealthPhD2020 said:

So I actually just sent an email to the program coordinator! I’m unsure why but programs don’t necessarily send waitlist notifications, so that’s the only way I found out! I hope this helps 😊

Oh thanks. Could u please send me his/her email?

3 hours ago, PHPHD2020 said:

Anyone apply to University of Maryland HSR or GWU? 

I applied to GWU health policy

2 hours ago, PublicHealth123 said:

Congratulations 🎊 to everyone accepted and good luck 🍀 to all those still waiting! 

Has anyone heard anything from SDSU-UCSD JDP program? 

Hey, I spoke to some of the last year's students and they got their acceptances around Valentines day. So should be coming up soon!

2 hours ago, EpiApp20 said:

Hey, I spoke to some of the last year's students and they got their acceptances around Valentines day. So should be coming up soon!

Thank you! 

Have you also applied there? 

17 hours ago, Anik_91 said:

Congrats to all of you who got acceptances! And good luck to those who are still waiting... it seems endless.

Did you guys reach out to your interviewer(s) after the the actual interview to say 'thank you'/provide more info/etc? DO you think it's a good idea to do so?  

I always think it's a good idea. Personally, it helps my nerves to pause and take a moment to express my appreciation. I wrote thank you notes to my interviewers. I sent an e-mail for phone interview and sent card for in person interviews (I'm old school).

In one instance, I have yet to hear anything further.  But all the others, I received a nice response and a message stating to please reach out with any questions.

. While I have never been on an admissions committee, I have hired people and been on selection committee for practicum placement. I think it helps interviewers keep candidates fresh in their minds. Also, in situations where the candidate is probably applying several places, I feel it helps to reinforce interest.

19 hours ago, GlobalHealthPhD2020 said:

Waitlisted for JHU IH! Not expecting any movement on the waitlist, but forever hopeful 😊

This process is so competitive and I’m just realizing how many applications programs get! I’m sorry to everyone in the similar waitlist/rejection boat

Keep those hopes up!! I know of two people that have received acceptance from JH off the wait list! I'm rooting for ya!! :)

2 minutes ago, GlobalHealthPhD2020 said:

By *~magic~* somehow just accepted into the BSHS program at Brown! I think decisions are taking a while to get updated officially into the portal, so please don’t fret if you’re waiting 🥰 

That's amazing! Congrats!!

7 minutes ago, GlobalHealthPhD2020 said:

By *~magic~* somehow just accepted into the BSHS program at Brown! I think decisions are taking a while to get updated officially into the portal, so please don’t fret if you’re waiting 🥰 

Wow, so happy for you :) You really deserved this. So See you soon :)

9 minutes ago, PublicHealth2020grad said:

That's amazing! Congrats!!

Thank you so much! 😊

4 minutes ago, MDMS2020 said:

Wow, so happy for you :) You really deserved this. So See you soon :)

Thank you so much!! Have you decided on Brown?! 😊

16 hours ago, PHPHD2020 said:

Anyone apply to University of Maryland HSR or GWU? 

I also applied to GWU health policy! I got an email for an interview late Jan and had one last week. They told me to expect to hear back in a couple of weeks so I'm assuming by late Feb ish we might hear decisions? 

Hi everyone! 

So thrilled to hear about so many wonderful and well-deserved acceptances. And to those who have received less positive news, keep your heads up! I really believe that you'll land somewhere that will value you, and support you to make an impact in public health :) And anywhere that doesn't think that doesn't deserve you! Truly. So far, I've been accepted to JHU Health Policy and Management, Vanderbilt Health Policy, and GW Health Policy (during my phone interview with GW, they said they would be recommending my application for admission and that I would receive an official letter in March). I'm waiting to hear back from Harvard Health Policy and was told to expect news at the end of February or early March. I haven't heard a thing from Wharton (health econ and management), so I think I'm out of the running.

If you are considering JHU, Vanderbilt, or GW, please do reach out! I would love to connect. I can't speak to GW or Vanderbilt, but during my phone call with JHU, they told me that they expect the wait list to move and this year was exceptionally competitive (4 spots for 80+). Most of what I know I've included here, but feel free to DM me! I'm happy to discuss the interview process or in-person visits, or even bounce ideas/thoughts as we reach the decision portion of this process.

Edited by HealthPolicy2020