GlobalHealthPhD2020

PhD Applicants: Fall 2020

7 hours ago, BehavHealthPhD2020 said:

I reached out to Rutgers (SBS) on monday and was told they would be sending out letters in the next few days!

Thank you for this information. 

6 hours ago, leafypoet said:

I had my Hopkins interview and was thoroughly unimpressed with the faculty member interviewing me. They couldn't have been less interested. Could I have caught them on a bad day, and can I really judge a whole department by my interactions with one person? Hopkins was probably my first choice, but now I'm not so sure. Anyone in the same boat?

The same feeling, exactly! No empathy no motivation, just formal questions and answers. I didn’t like it. For me, It seemed that they care more about their production rate.
Nevertheless, they would release the decisions this Monday. 

Is anyone else still waiting to hear from Brown's Epidemiology PhD program? I'm sitting in limbo where I wasn't invited to recruitment day but I have yet to be rejected (or receive any communications from them). Curious if any others are in the same position. I'm assuming I will be rejected, but I'd just like to know for sure!

1 hour ago, phd_2020 said:

Is anyone else still waiting to hear from Brown's Epidemiology PhD program? I'm sitting in limbo where I wasn't invited to recruitment day but I have yet to be rejected (or receive any communications from them). Curious if any others are in the same position. I'm assuming I will be rejected, but I'd just like to know for sure!

I'm also in the same boat

On 2/12/2020 at 10:24 AM, THSRPPhD said:

Hello all,

Congratulations to all those who got accepted. 
Pls did anyone apply to Rutgers or UIowa and has heard back from them? 

I was actually interviewed with U of Iowa for Epidemiology Doctoral program last week on Feb 4th. I might be updated next week according to their direction during the interview. Hope it will be useful source to you.

8 hours ago, Annaseo said:

I was actually interviewed with U of Iowa for Epidemiology Doctoral program last week on Feb 4th. I might be updated next week according to their direction during the interview. Hope it will be useful source to you.

Hi, thank you for your response. Same here. I pray we get in. 

14 hours ago, phd_2020 said:

They just emailed me a no 

I was just contacted for a fifth interview with a school (Yes, all 5 are for the same program!). My first interview with them was over 3 weeks ago. Anyone have thoughts on what this means? Are they really uncertain about me as a candidate and trying to make up their mind, a disorganized program that doesn't coordinate between faculty on the adcom, or really into me as an applicant? I am just really confused and overthinking this is giving me anxiety.

On 2/12/2020 at 4:00 AM, scepticemia said:

Not sure how exact these dates are, but if they do manage to narrow things down, they should start mailing the applicants within a week or so. I feel like the complete list of results will, however, not be declared till the end of this month. But different departments do it in different ways though, so not a lot to go on. Any idea what it was like last year?

From the survey page, it seems like the rejections came around Feb.14 for epi last year. If they follow the same schedule, we may be able to hear something by the end of this week or early next week!

In case this is helpful:

Average GRE, good grades, good LOR (hopefully), and about a year total of research experience (combining undergrad and grad research experiences).

Rejected by:

• Boston University (Epi)
  • Minnesota (Epi)

Accepted By:

• Pitt (Epi) - No interview
  • Louisville (Health Promotion) - Skype interview with 4 faculty
  • Wisconsin-Milwaukee Zilber School of Public Health (Health Promotion) - Phone Interview with 3 faculty

Received my 4th rejection in a row today. I am still waiting to hear from 3 other programs but I’m honestly losing hope for this cycle. It’s a tough pill to swallow knowing that I’ll have to go through this whole process all over again but can’t give up. Good luck to those that’s still waiting! 

16 hours ago, phd_2020 said:

I'm also still waiting. Just called them after seeing people were accepted/rejected and they said if I haven't heard anything, and haven't been invited to the recruitment day, then they're still deliberating on my app.

5 minutes ago, epi2020app said:

I'm also still waiting. Just called them after seeing people were accepted/rejected and they said if I haven't heard anything, and haven't been invited to the recruitment day, then they're still deliberating on my app.

I also didn't hear back today (as others above have posted), so perhaps this is a good sign after all. I won't hold out hope though. Thanks for calling!

2 hours ago, hopeful2020PhD said:

I was just contacted for a fifth interview with a school (Yes, all 5 are for the same program!). My first interview with them was over 3 weeks ago. Anyone have thoughts on what this means? Are they really uncertain about me as a candidate and trying to make up their mind, a disorganized program that doesn't coordinate between faculty on the adcom, or really into me as an applicant? I am just really confused and overthinking this is giving me anxiety.

What... on earth? You've already been accepted though, hopeful2020PhD. Take heart. Maybe another professor is interested in working with you. :)

20 minutes ago, meatbao said:

Guys check your JHU portal. I didn't receive an email but my decision is already up on the portal!

I was wait-listed 😩

Edited by ms26

29 minutes ago, meatbao said:

Guys check your JHU portal. I didn't receive an email but my decision is already up on the portal!

Can I ask you for what program and track? 

On 2/12/2020 at 10:01 AM, MNCH Hopeful said:

If anyone is also waiting to hear from NYU- Global Public Health, I was told that they already extended interview invitations to applicants a few weeks ago. They might do another round of interviews but no decisions have been made yet. 

Did you apply to a specific program? I'm waiting to hear back about Social & Behavioral Sciences- nothing yet.

17 hours ago, phd_2020 said:

I'm in that same limbo phase for SBS- good to know others are too.

2 minutes ago, midwesternbelle said:

Did you apply to a specific program? I'm waiting to hear back about Social & Behavioral Sciences- nothing yet.

Hey, I applied to the same program and I haven’t heard anything at all. I emailed them yesterday and that’s when I was told about some interview requests being sent out. They may do another round of interviews but I’m not sure 😕 

14 minutes ago, MDMS2020 said:

Can I ask you for what program and track? 

Sure! I applied to the genetic epi track