GlobalHealthPhD2020

PhD Applicants: Fall 2020

27 minutes ago, ms26 said:

I was wait-listed¬†ūüė©

So sorry to hear that! Is this your top choice? @scepticemia mentioned earlier that only 50-60% people will accept their offer, so there is movement in the waiting list. Don't lose hope!

Edited by meatbao

One of the schools I was accepted to matched me with a faculty member that I have very little in common with research interest wise.  Going to meet with the faculty member (because maybe they'll be beginning a new project not indicated in their CV), but did this happen to anybody else? I was really pleased with the program otherwise, but this threw me for a curveball.  But, I've also been in a situation (with another school) where I was unsure how to feel about a program after the faculty were pretty emotionless. It can be confusing! So y'all are not alone.

3 hours ago, smoothieman said:

In case this is helpful:

Average GRE, good grades, good LOR (hopefully), and about a year total of research experience (combining undergrad and grad research experiences).

Rejected by:

• Boston University (Epi)
  • Minnesota (Epi)

Accepted By:

• Pitt (Epi) - No interview
  • Louisville (Health Promotion) - Skype interview with 4 faculty
  • Wisconsin-Milwaukee Zilber School of Public Health (Health Promotion) - Phone Interview with 3 faculty

I've been accepted to University of Louisville TOO! :) DM me if you want to chat.

5 minutes ago, midwesternbelle said:

One of the schools I was accepted to matched me with a faculty member that I have very little in common with research interest wise.  Going to meet with the faculty member (because maybe they'll be beginning a new project not indicated in their CV), but did this happen to anybody else? I was really pleased with the program otherwise, but this threw me for a curveball.  But, I've also been in a situation (with another school) where I was unsure how to feel about a program after the faculty were pretty emotionless. It can be confusing! So y'all are not alone.

Maybe they just have funding for an RA? Could be about getting you a stipend more than anything

15 minutes ago, MNCH Hopeful said:

By chance, is there anyone still waiting to hear back from Columbia - Sociomedical Sciences? It’s been radio silence since I submitted in November.

Also waiting to hear back from this program too haha- I figured that I would be a second string applicant (I have a lot of strong factors, but a weak UG GPA).  I know people are starting to be accepted and rejected though, so I figure the news will reach me when it's ready.

28 minutes ago, meatbao said:

So sorry to hear that! Is this your top choice? @scepticemia mentioned earlier that only 50-60% people will accept their offer, so there is movement in the waiting list. Don't lose hope!

Yes it is one of my top choices. I am lucky and have an acceptance at another institution that I would be very happy to go to but I'm still waiting to hear about funding for that one so I feel very much in limbo. Hopefully the wait-list will move a bit. Thank you!

20 minutes ago, midwesternbelle said:

Also waiting to hear back from this program too haha- I figured that I would be a second string applicant (I have a lot of strong factors, but a weak UG GPA).  I know people are starting to be accepted and rejected though, so I figure the news will reach me when it's ready.

Haha same! I checked the results page from last cycle and people were getting rejected in late March! 

2 minutes ago, MNCH Hopeful said:

Haha same! I checked the results page from last cycle and people were getting rejected in late March! 

Well wishing us both luck! I've been accepted to two schools now, so a lot of the pressure is off.  But, it's helpful to have options to consider in terms of funding & moving across the country!

4 hours ago, oldschoolfall2020 said:

for anyone waiting to hear from UW Global Health, I have a colleague who got accepted today  

Do you know which track they applied for?

2 hours ago, ms26 said:

Yes it is one of my top choices. I am lucky and have an acceptance at another institution that I would be very happy to go to but I'm still waiting to hear about funding for that one so I feel very much in limbo. Hopefully the wait-list will move a bit. Thank you!

Same! I'm admitted at two schools and still waiting to hear about funding for both. Can't really make a decision without knowing about funding.. I hope they let us know soon!

4 hours ago, meatbao said:

Guys check your JHU portal. I didn't receive an email but my decision is already up on the portal!

On SOPHAS? I don’t see any update...

5 hours ago, meatbao said:

Guys check your JHU portal. I didn't receive an email but my decision is already up on the portal!

Where do you check? I feel so dumb, but is it a tab on the left? Or under the checklist for application page? Checklist pages (two programs) says ‚ÄúCurrently, your application is¬†Application Sent for Review.‚Ä̬†

Is the the place where I would see a change?

2 minutes ago, RubyTue said:

Where do you check? I feel so dumb, but is it a tab on the left? Or under the checklist for application page? Checklist pages (two programs) says ‚ÄúCurrently, your application is¬†Application Sent for Review.‚Ä̬†

Likely means we are rejected. Last year rejection came out the day after acceptances and waitlists.... So that is what I am assuming this means in my portal.

8 minutes ago, Epi2020 said:

Hi all! I was wondering if anyone have heard anything or been interviewed for the UC Berkeley Epi program? 

Hi! I applied to the Berkeley epi program too. I am 99% sure that they do not do any interviews and that we should hear back about decisions sometime in late Feb-early March (based on last years results page). 

1 hour ago, RubyTue said:

Yes! that's the place to check. My tab was changed from "Application checklist" to "Admission Decision" today. Hope you hear something great soon!

17 minutes ago, ms26 said:

Hi! I applied to the Berkeley epi program too. I am 99% sure that they do not do any interviews and that we should hear back about decisions sometime in late Feb-early March (based on last years results page). 

Thanks so much!! looks like we'll just have to wait it out ūüėď