GlobalHealthPhD2020

PhD Applicants: Fall 2020

12 hours ago, RubyTue said:

And there it is (JHU EPI)...  😩  Alas.  It was just a dream, and I do have a good career as is...

Same here. No worries. There's a lot of great programs out there for us. We can still make it. 

12 hours ago, Soychorizo said:

Finally some good news!! I got into Stanford! They called to tell me and I have no idea what they said to be honest

Wow. This is amazing. Congratulations!!!! Which program did you get in?

8 hours ago, scepticemia said:

Same here. No worries. There's a lot of great programs out there for us. We can still make it. 

Thanks for the positivity. But for a bazillion reasons, I chose the go big or go home approach. This was a dream of mine, but at 45, I”m not moving for it. And, given my life so far, I’m 95% ok with it. My regrets are not this application cycle, but having to turn down the fellowship 16 years ago. Even though the reasons were very good (namely cancer and needing to stay employed/insured).

My hope is that, since I did interview, that the interviewers recommended me for the DrPH option. Because, when I lay it all out, it is a better fit for me, given my career so far.

Edited by RubyTue

23 hours ago, THSRPPhD said:

Congratulations!!! You deserve it.

On 2/14/2020 at 2:00 PM, leafypoet said:

So happy for you. 😭

Thank you so much guys! Also wishing you guys the best!!!!! You all made this journey bearable for me so thank you!!

37 minutes ago, GradApp2020 said:

It doesn’t look like many people have applied to Emory, but in case anyone is waiting, I thought I’d share that they’ve released decisions. 

Is this referring to a specific program? I didn’t think they coordinated decision dates across programs?

Edited by epi2020app

54 minutes ago, GradApp2020 said:

It doesn’t look like many people have applied to Emory, but in case anyone is waiting, I thought I’d share that they’ve released decisions. 

Could you please specify which program you were talking about? Thanks!

On 2/12/2020 at 12:38 PM, GlobalHealthPhD2020 said:

This completely happened to me, I was SUPER heartbroken. I definitely think the informal chat can go a long way once you are accepted, and if you find another advisor at JHU that is willing to work with you then I would recommend a switch provided this POI does not seem like a good match :) 

On 2/12/2020 at 12:28 PM, leafypoet said:

Thanks for your advice, hopeful2020PhD. The person interviewing was indeed my POI, and he did mention that he had a full day of interviews. I suppose he may have just been burnt out from the process and quite possibly tired of hearing PhD hopefuls spell out the same answers to his questions. I'll keep an open mind, I guess, and do what you said - which is to schedule an informal chat later down the track. Sounds like it's going to be really hard to get in anyway, so this might all be mute after the admissions decisions have been made. 

On 2/12/2020 at 11:17 AM, leafypoet said:

I had my Hopkins interview and was thoroughly unimpressed with the faculty member interviewing me. They couldn't have been less interested. Could I have caught them on a bad day, and can I really judge a whole department by my interactions with one person? Hopkins was probably my first choice, but now I'm not so sure. Anyone in the same boat?

I had this happen with one of my super-top-school interviewers who was also a POI, though the other interviewer at the school who was also a POI seemed a lot more interested in me. I didn't wind up getting in, BUT I also know that the lackluster interview was one of the last ones my interviewer was doing at the end of a long stretch... so maybe she was extra tired. A couple of thoughts, gleaned while I was freaking out about the interview that didn't go well: 1. From a friend who ended up getting into her program after a lackluster interview: even if you put down the person as POI and it didn't go well, they still vote by committee in adcomms, and it isn't necessarily the case that the POI that doesn't seem excited will be who they assign to you. Maybe someone else will want to take you on instead (what happened to my friend - and she told me to trust my instincts when the interview I had made me not excited to work with that person, as her lackluster interviewer turned out to be a bullet dodged in terms of actual research match for her, and her actual assigned advisor, who had actually not been on her radar, to be a great fit) 2. This process is competitive and we can all feel a little helpless. I went to a very prestigious school for my master's, and if I could go back, I would go somewhere different because it was a terrible fit. Bear in mind that prestige does not equal fit. At said lackluster interview, the POI actually asked me, "what about you is unique that you can bring to school x?" which kind of threw me off... I came up with an answer, but I wrote a pretty thorough application, so it bothered me a little bit that the conversation wasn't more collegial. Yes, these schools are hopefully funding us, and that's competitive, and they have a tough choice to make given all the brilliant applicants I see on this forum (and those who are not on the forum that I imagine to be equally brilliant and committed), but we are giving up a lot in terms of opportunity costs to work for them... so I have been kind of seeing folks who seem to look at this as more of a one-sided thing as a bit of a red flag, because I will need them to mentor me and care about me to a decent extent, and so hopefully they see my value enough to have a conversation with me that flows a bit better and is not so one-sided. I am heavily leaning toward going to a top 20 but not top 10 program (if funding comes through) precisely because, in addition to doing great research that interests me, I have really appreciated how collegial the feel of my conversations with prospective mentors have been. I tend to be a little long-winded on here, but I just want to encourage everyone here to trust your gut!! Give people the benefit of the doubt, absolutely, but just take a lackluster interview as a data point - nothing more, nothing less, but a data point to consider -- is my unsolicited advice.

Wanted to share this with folks because I thought there were some good thoughts here: 

http://hellophd.com/2018/02/087-how-do-i-choose-a-phd-program/

It's a podcast on choosing a PhD program. They ramble for the first 20 min or so so I'd skip that part, but the 20 minutes mark onward has some good advice to consider.

On 2/15/2020 at 10:25 PM, RubyTue said:

Thanks for the positivity. But for a bazillion reasons, I chose the go big or go home approach. This was a dream of mine, but at 45, I”m not moving for it. And, given my life so far, I’m 95% ok with it. My regrets are not this application cycle, but having to turn down the fellowship 16 years ago. Even though the reasons were very good (namely cancer and needing to stay employed/insured).

My hope is that, since I did interview, that the interviewers recommended me for the DrPH option. Because, when I lay it all out, it is a better fit for me, given my career so far.

WOW! That is really something. It is great that despite so many adversities you chose to fight through! I am sure bigger and better things are waiting to happen. JHU is indeed one of the best places one can go to study public health and I really hope that your DrPH works out.

17 hours ago, NotaBene said:

Wanted to share this with folks because I thought there were some good thoughts here: 

http://hellophd.com/2018/02/087-how-do-i-choose-a-phd-program/

It's a podcast on choosing a PhD program. They ramble for the first 20 min or so so I'd skip that part, but the 20 minutes mark onward has some good advice to consider.

Wow, thank you! I was seriously for searching for something like this yesterday.

On 2/13/2020 at 1:48 PM, epi2020app said:

I'm also still waiting. Just called them after seeing people were accepted/rejected and they said if I haven't heard anything, and haven't been invited to the recruitment day, then they're still deliberating on my app.

Hi! I'm in the same boat. Do you have any idea when we would hear back? Thanks!

On 2/15/2020 at 10:34 PM, Se7en said:

Could you please specify which program you were talking about? Thanks!

This was for the nutrition program. The program coordinators noted, however, that decisions for all programs would be decided within two weeks of the doctoral event. 

On 2/14/2020 at 6:26 AM, Harvard_Waitlist said:

Harvard yes. And I know a couple people who interviewed with Columbia so I would assume yes. 

Do you know which program at Columbia?

9 hours ago, scepticemia said:

WOW! That is really something. It is great that despite so many adversities you chose to fight through! I am sure bigger and better things are waiting to happen. JHU is indeed one of the best places one can go to study public health and I really hope that your DrPH works out.

And if I admit the motivation to apply this year, it was a second cancer diagnosis, and remembering how much I love learning and research as I read every pubmed article I could find.

Edited by RubyTue

On 2/9/2020 at 10:10 PM, scepticemia said:

This is one of my positions of interest as well. I am an international applicant. Did you get an email from Fran Burman afterwards, with a link to their department video? 

If you are OK working in Canada, you could connect with Dr. Madhukar Pai at McGill...

Congratulations! That is an amazing program!!!

I thought it was a good thing if programs claimed to be reviewing my application... is it not? :(

Congratulations! For those of us who are staring down the barrel, please tell us what you did differently, or how did you improve your application this time around?

Wow... congratulations!!!!

Congratulations!!!

Thanks for mentioning this... quite helpful. However, in the GSAS application, there was a page where they had explicitly asked to mention 3 faculty members with whom my research interests were well aligned, and 3 faculty members with whom I had reached out to discuss about my research interests. I had not reached out to anyone... so I left the second question blank. This seems to me their way of either making sure that people we talked to were not reviewing our applications, or they were trying to find a best fit for us. Not sure which though... 

Thanks for the positive message... but unfortunately, I am on the verge of giving up on all of this for this year...

Apologies for the very late response. Nothing really changed about my application other than few additional papers (not first-author) and having a strong(er) POI and establishing a connection with them beforehand. PhD programs are not necessarily a reflection of your own competency but rather the circumstances of the department. Sometimes, politics in the department dictates who gets to have a student that year or other things that we have no control over.

Edited by sleepycat123

22 hours ago, meatbao said:

Hi! I'm in the same boat. Do you have any idea when we would hear back? Thanks!

She said "a few days". When I get a decision I'll make sure to post it on the results page!

17 minutes ago, epi2020app said:

She said "a few days". When I get a decision I'll make sure to post it on the results page!

Thank you so much!

Is anyone else waiting to hear back from UC Irvine, UIC, or Berkeley's PHD Epidemiology program? And does anyone know when we should be expecting to hear from them?

6 minutes ago, GlobalHealthPhD2020 said:

Did anyone else apply to UMass Amherst? I submitted my application through SOPHAS for the Community Health Education program back in November, and they just told me today I should have submitted a supplement with it.

Did anyone else not get the supplement? RIP my application

WHAT? I applied as well and received no additional information/log-in details

1 hour ago, BehavHealthPhD2020 said:

WHAT? I applied as well and received no additional information/log-in details

1 hour ago, GlobalHealthPhD2020 said:

Did anyone else apply to UMass Amherst? I submitted my application through SOPHAS for the Community Health Education program back in November, and they just told me today I should have submitted a supplement with it.

Did anyone else not get the supplement? RIP my application

I applied and was accepted to a different program (Epidemiology) at UMass Amherst, so I'm not sure how useful this information will be. There was no supplement component for me, but I did receive an email from IT asking me to create a SPIRE account to monitor the status of my application. I had my interview in early January, and I received my acceptance letter about a week later.