GlobalHealthPhD2020

PhD Applicants: Fall 2020

3 hours ago, EpiApp20 said:

Is anyone else waiting to hear back from UC Irvine, UIC, or Berkeley's PHD Epidemiology program? And does anyone know when we should be expecting to hear from them?

My POI literally just emailed me to say I should expect to hear from UC Irvine “very soon” within the next few Days. This was for the Public Health PhD program not the Épi one. Sorry just realised you mentioned Epidemiology, so this might not be as helpful as intended 

Edited by 0102030405

4 hours ago, GlobalHealthPhD2020 said:

Did anyone else apply to UMass Amherst? I submitted my application through SOPHAS for the Community Health Education program back in November, and they just told me today I should have submitted a supplement with it.

Did anyone else not get the supplement? RIP my application

4 hours ago, BehavHealthPhD2020 said:

WHAT? I applied as well and received no additional information/log-in details

2 hours ago, gradschooltime said:

I applied and was accepted to a different program (Epidemiology) at UMass Amherst, so I'm not sure how useful this information will be. There was no supplement component for me, but I did receive an email from IT asking me to create a SPIRE account to monitor the status of my application. I had my interview in early January, and I received my acceptance letter about a week later. 

When I applied to UMass I had to do the supplemental application ie list no criminal record. For me it was linked somewhere in the school's section on SOPHAS I don't remember. Then I received an email about creating a SPIRE account

Hi! I’ve been silently reading through this thread for a while now. Has anyone here heard from UNC Epidemiology? I know they sent an email saying decisions will be made by the first week of March but I’m getting rather restless haha :)

12 minutes ago, epi_2020 said:

Hi! I’ve been silently reading through this thread for a while now. Has anyone here heard from UNC Epidemiology? I know they sent an email saying decisions will be made by the first week of March but I’m getting rather restless haha :)

They already sent out a few admissions but I am sure they won't send out all until early March. They have a lot of applicants every year so it takes time, but I believe they have many slots too. Just hang in there!  I had an informal chat with three faculty members last Friday but I haven't heard back yet. Fingers crossed!!

Edited by 2020ph

Anyone here heard back from the International Health Global Disease or Health Systems tracks from JHU?

6 hours ago, scepticemia said:

Anyone here heard back from the International Health Global Disease or Health Systems tracks from JHU?

I was waitlisted for International Health - Social and Behavioral Interventions! If you have not heard, I would definitely email as they should be able to tell you your status (this is the only way I knew I was waitlisted) :) 

Has anyone heard anything for GWU, UMD College Park, or NYU for epi?

Saw a rejection from Michigan Epi on the results page. Anyone wants to claim it? or has anyone else heard from them? 

2 hours ago, GlobalHealthPhD2020 said:

I was waitlisted for International Health - Social and Behavioral Interventions! If you have not heard, I would definitely email as they should be able to tell you your status (this is the only way I knew I was waitlisted) :) 

Thanks a lot for answering. I guess I am very very nervous about emailing them. Strange limbo this, I find myself caught in...

Has anyone heard anything from Yale after interview day? I remember them saying 2 weeks but am wondering if they might have started reaching out...

Dear friends, I have some just wonderful news for you. I got into the Harvard School of Public Health Master of Science (Epidemiology) program, and will be taking it in addition to continuing my post-doc fellowship here at the medical school. I didn't get into the doctorate program, but this will give me an opportunity to finish my projects here and to fulfill my dream of being a physician-scientist. Whether I re-apply for the PhD remains to be seen, but my application for the next cycle might be more competitive. I am indebted to my professors here for pulling strings so that the financial burden won't be too great. 

Thank you all so much for your support. I really appreciate it, and hope I was able to support you also during this very stressful time. ❤️

Edited by leafypoet

3 hours ago, leafypoet said:

Dear friends, I have some just wonderful news for you. I got into the Harvard School of Public Health Master of Science (Epidemiology) program, and will be taking it in addition to continuing my post-doc fellowship here at the medical school. I didn't get into the doctorate program, but this will give me an opportunity to finish my projects here and to fulfill my dream of being a physician-scientist. Whether I re-apply for the PhD remains to be seen, but my application for the next cycle might be more competitive. I am indebted to my professors here for pulling strings so that the financial burden won't be too great. 

Thank you all so much for your support. I really appreciate it, and hope I was able to support you also during this very stressful time. ❤️

Congratulations. This is wonderful news. Wish you the very best in the days ahead!!!

Hi I was wondering if anyone knows what the "typical" funding package for a PhD student in a public health field is like. I know it varies by school and I know what schools say online or when they talk to me...but based on your own/friend's/family member's experience what funding situation can I sorta expect? Is it more common to only be partially funded for a year or fully funded for 4 years? Is funding typically from the school or from a mentor pulling from grants? Should I be looking for part time work/at external funding more seriously? Some folks at different schools have straight up told me that funding in public health is a issue at many schools currently.

I am just genuinely curious, and I hope I'm not asking for anything too sensitive.

Edited by smoothieman

3 hours ago, leafypoet said:

You are right, it truly is wonderful news, you were given an opportunity most can only dream of! Congratulations!! So glad to hear about the faculty support.

10 minutes ago, smoothieman said:

Hi I was wondering if anyone knows what the "typical" funding package for a PhD student in a public health field is like. I know it varies by school and I know what schools say online or when they talk to me...but based on your own/friend's/family member's experience what funding situation can I sorta expect? Is it more common to only be partially funded for a year or fully funded for 4 years? Is funding typically from the school or from a mentor pulling from grants? Should I be looking for part time work/at external funding more seriously? Some folks at different schools have straight up told me that funding in public health is a issue at many schools currently.

I am just genuinely curious, and I hope I'm not asking for anything too sensitive.

I can give you an overview of offers I have received. All 3 in high cost of living areas, and all 3 are competitive schools

School 1: 50% tuition remission. Nothing else. No stipend, have to purchase own insurance, and have to pay the other half of your tuition.

School 2: Full tuition remission and about 40k per year in exchange for working half time throughout the program. 4 years funding.

School 3: Full tuition remission, insurance, and about 36k per year in exchange for TAing one class, one time, over the whole length of the program. 4 years of funding.

31 minutes ago, smoothieman said:

Look up phdstipends.com to see your specific program’s stipend! Usually the top programs have enough self reported stipends. 

11 minutes ago, kgarciar said:

Has anyone heard from Columbia Epi?

I see that two people (self-report) had been offered an interview in the beginning of the month. https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=Columbia+University&t=m&o=p&p=14

I had an interview with a faculty member on the admissions committee last week. She said that they should have decisions out no later than mid-March.

I'm not sure if they're done with interviews. I do know that they had nearly 200 applicants, and I think (but was not explicitly told) that an interview is required for acceptance.

Edit to add: I was told they would be accepting a cohort of 12-15 people. 

Edited by ms26

3 minutes ago, ms26 said:

I had an interview with a faculty member on the admissions committee last week. She said that they should have decisions out no later than mid-March.

I'm not sure if they're done with interviews. I do know that they had nearly 200 applicants, and I think (but was not explicitly told) that an interview is required for acceptance.

Thanks! wishing you the best!  Out of curiosity, which track did you apply to?

I guess I should prepare for the worst 😐 since I have not heard back from them re an interview.

1 minute ago, kgarciar said:

Thanks! wishing you the best!  Out of curiosity, which track did you apply to?

I guess I should prepare for the worst 😐 since I have not heard back from them re an interview.

Chronic disease epi. Thank you, and best of luck to you as well!! 

Please who applied to the PhD program in Harvard- Biological sciences in public health for 2020 academic year? have you heard from them?

I didn't get an rejection notice or an interview notice.

3 hours ago, LisaNucar said:

You are right, it truly is wonderful news, you were given an opportunity most can only dream of! Congratulations!! So glad to hear about the faculty support.

Thank you, NotLisa. You've been one of my rocks throughout this whole process! Let's be thankful we both got into awesome schools. 

4 hours ago, smoothieman said:

From my own experience, I have observed that public universities tend to have lower stipend amounts than private universities. With that said, there are often additional merit-based fellowship awards available at some of these institutions. For example, UMass Amherst offers a Dean’s PhD Fellowship and Temple offers University Fellowships and Presidential Fellowships. These awards are often only considered for applicants who apply before the priority deadline, and (from my experience) receipt of those awards tends to rely heavily on GRE, GPA, and # of published papers. Some schools (e.g., UMass Amherst) allow you to have both the fellowship and an RA/TAship concurrently, while other schools (e.g. Temple) only allow you to hold one of these at a time. 

I have noticed significant variation in health insurance offers between schools. Some schools provide no support at all, other schools cover health insurance at 100%, and some allow you to purchase health insurance at the employee rates (assuming you receive an RA/TAship). 

The last piece of info I wanted to share is guaranteed funding for the duration of the program versus funding contingent upon continued success in the program - including passing your preliminary exams. For example, UMass Amherst offered me an initial two years of guaranteed funding and assured me I could be covered my last two years too - as long as I passed my preliminary exams. They do that to ensure they’re not liable for supporting you financially if you’re not meeting program expectations. 

On 2/11/2020 at 3:26 PM, HealthPolicy2020 said:

Hi everyone! 

So thrilled to hear about so many wonderful and well-deserved acceptances. And to those who have received less positive news, keep your heads up! I really believe that you'll land somewhere that will value you, and support you to make an impact in public health :) And anywhere that doesn't think that doesn't deserve you! Truly. So far, I've been accepted to JHU Health Policy and Management, Vanderbilt Health Policy, and GW Health Policy (during my phone interview with GW, they said they would be recommending my application for admission and that I would receive an official letter in March). I'm waiting to hear back from Harvard Health Policy and was told to expect news at the end of February or early March. I haven't heard a thing from Wharton (health econ and management), so I think I'm out of the running.

If you are considering JHU, Vanderbilt, or GW, please do reach out! I would love to connect. I can't speak to GW or Vanderbilt, but during my phone call with JHU, they told me that they expect the wait list to move and this year was exceptionally competitive (4 spots for 80+). Most of what I know I've included here, but feel free to DM me! I'm happy to discuss the interview process or in-person visits, or even bounce ideas/thoughts as we reach the decision portion of this process.

Also headed to JHU for HPM! Just decided after I didn't get into Duke's policy program, which had previously been one of my top choices.