GlobalHealthPhD2020

PhD Applicants: Fall 2020

Does anyone have advice on how to politely decline an admissions offer without burning bridges? I may want to work with this PI in the future, but I have a clear decision.

1 hour ago, hopeful2020PhD said:

Does anyone have advice on how to politely decline an admissions offer without burning bridges? I may want to work with this PI in the future, but I have a clear decision.

This is what I used when I had this dilemma. Never a great feeling turning down a good program/PI!

"Thank you for your offer of admission to the PhD program in XYXYXYX at XYXYXYX; I truly appreciate the interest you have shown in me. However, I regret to inform you that I will not be accepting your offer of admission, as I have officially declared for another program. I'm quite grateful for your time and consideration of my application, and wish you and the program the best moving forward."

17 hours ago, ianmleavitt said:

This is what I used when I had this dilemma. Never a great feeling turning down a good program/PI!

"Thank you for your offer of admission to the PhD program in XYXYXYX at XYXYXYX; I truly appreciate the interest you have shown in me. However, I regret to inform you that I will not be accepting your offer of admission, as I have officially declared for another program. I'm quite grateful for your time and consideration of my application, and wish you and the program the best moving forward."

Thank you, Ian! I committed to Harvard today and let my other program know I won't be attending.

Can you guys please tell me how much TAship in JHU pays? And what is the mandatory minimum one gets to do TAship for? Thanks in advance. 

I think something to bear in mind is that, whoever you are turning down, they could be important to your future or even be on your committee if their research is very close to yours. I like the previously listed response, but I would probably personalize it more, if it were me. You are turning down a potential advisor, not just a program, in many cases.

Is anyone else held in limbo for Brown's Epi program? I seems like there has been a group admitted, but I haven't heard anything (waitinglist or rejection). Not having a portal is frustrating.

1 hour ago, Soychorizo said:

Just in case anyone is still waiting on Yale, I got a notification that I was put on the waitlist about 10 mins ago. I declined the spot! 

Were you at the interview? Is this Phd?

3 hours ago, GlobalHealthPhD2020 said:

Has anyone decided/committed to a program yet? I'd love to see where people are going :) 

I committed to Brown's BSHS program this morning, so excited to meet anyone headed there as well!

I am going to UMass

7 hours ago, phdepi2020_ said:

Is anyone else held in limbo for Brown's Epi program? I seems like there has been a group admitted, but I haven't heard anything (waitinglist or rejection). Not having a portal is frustrating.

I was in limbo until last night. Received a rejection from them.

Guys has anyone been rejected from JHU's Social and behavioral interventions or do they put all the rejected applicants on the wait list? 

I've just received an email about having been waitlisted and feeling confused about how to react

Hi all,

I haven't heard from you for a little while. So can you guys tell me more about your admission decision?  I have been rejected by 4 programs, but I still hope I can hear some good news from you guys.

Got accepted to UNC HPM and waiting to hear about the exact funding scheme (it's guaranteed for 2 years). Likely to accept, but the problem is that my wife got accepted to a different university. It's either we go together and one of is PhD-less, or we go to two different schools and spend years in a distance relationship... So if you have been in this situation or know someone with the same experience, would love to hear from you. Even if you haven't, still welcome your opinion. :) 

15 minutes ago, Anik_91 said:

Got accepted to UNC HPM and waiting to hear about the exact funding scheme (it's guaranteed for 2 years). Likely to accept, but the problem is that my wife got accepted to a different university. It's either we go together and one of is PhD-less, or we go to two different schools and spend years in a distance relationship... So if you have been in this situation or know someone with the same experience, would love to hear from you. Even if you haven't, still welcome your opinion. :) 

My undergraduate advisor did his PhD in Michigan while his wife stayed in DC. It was tough for the first 2 years, and they traveled most weekends, but he mentioned how he didn't stay "in residence" to finish his dissertation so he could go live with her. Would that be a possibility for either of you (i.e., completing coursework at separate schools, then doing research remotely to finish your diss)?

Has anyone, who applied to any of the Northwestern HSIP tracks and attended an in-person interview, heard anything from the program (admit/reject/waitlist)? 

I'm considering offers from two other programs and at this point I want to hear something from Northwestern (even if it's bad news) so that I know whether or not to include them as I weigh my options. I checked the application portal and there were no updates there.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, hopeful2020PhD said:

My undergraduate advisor did his PhD in Michigan while his wife stayed in DC. It was tough for the first 2 years, and they traveled most weekends, but he mentioned how he didn't stay "in residence" to finish his dissertation so he could go live with her. Would that be a possibility for either of you (i.e., completing coursework at separate schools, then doing research remotely to finish your diss)?

Thanks for sharing this! That's what I am planing to find out when visiting the campus later this month. Hers is a lab science and will probably be hard to do out of campus, so I am hoping it will be an option for me.