Jump to content
GlobalHealthPhD2020

PhD Applicants: Fall 2020

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, meatbao said:

Hi! I'm also admitted to Michigan Epi. Is your funding package coming from RA/TA positions? Do you know if they have a standard rates or the stipend varies from people to people? I was under the impression that Michigan has one of best funding packages for Epi programs.

Feel free to DM me if you want to talk!

Thanks for replying! First year funding would be coming from TA positions, and from what I understand, RA/TA positions are required unless you can provide your own funding. I'm not sure about whether the funding varies from person to person, but that seems likely? I am trying to concentrate in social epi and I got the impression that a lot of faculty in that research area did not have great funding opportunities to offer students this year. Maybe it's different depending on research area!

1 hour ago, waba2iyat said:

@meatbao and @Epi2020 congratulations on the admit! also admitted (and committed to) Michigan Epi. Have some insight with regards to funding as I did my MPH here and would be happy to share what I know. Also concerned about COL in Ann Arbor after having been here a few years, but current PhD students reassured me that it's very manageable.

Thanks so much! That's great to hear that current PhD students are not struggling, but I was personally a little surprised about how high rental prices are in Ann Arbor (I used to live in the Bay Area, so super high COL, but apartments in Ann Arbor looked like they were almost as expensive!) I decided not to get my MPH at Michigan because I would've gone into a huge amount of debt, so I guess I still have the same concerns 😬

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hi everyone,

I got an email in January from the University of Minnesota saying that my application passed the first step and that the next step was to secure first-year funding and match me with a faculty advisor. They said this second step could take some time but it's now March and I still haven't heard anything. I've been debating reaching out to the admissions committee but I don't want to seem impatient, is anyone else in the same boat or has anyone heard back from them already?

Thanks!

Edited by ams854

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ams854 said:

Hi everyone,

I got an email in January from the University of Minnesota saying that my application passed the first step and that the next step was to secure first-year funding and match me with a faculty advisor. They said this second step could take some time but it's now March and I still haven't heard anything. I've been debating reaching out to the admissions committee but I don't want to seem impatient, is anyone else in the same boat or has anyone heard back from them already?

Thanks!

I received this email in January, too, and I haven’t heard anything else yet. Also wondering if anyone else has heard anything?

 

Also wondering if anybody has been admitted to Miami? I’m assuming yes, but I’d love to hear confirmation. 

Edited by wandereranew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone for the responses. Still hopeful, but we Will see. Also, waiting on Minnesota and Michigan but the tact i havent heard yet is bad signs. 

For Michigan, i suggest living near Ypsilanti near the 4a route. Its cheaper and 15 min bus ride in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did anyone else's UIC admissions status change from "Complete, Under Department Review" to "Additional Review Required"? I'm not sure what to expect from this and if it's a good or bad thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Epi2020@meatbao@HealthPolicyEconPhd@waba2iyat Congratulations! I also received offer from Michigan Epi Phd Program with a stipend of $32k per year, guaranteed for three years, RA position, and I am out of state. I think this stipend is a satisfying one compared with other Epi phd programs. I think Michigan is good at helping Phd students get funding, but it might also depends on mentors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2020 at 1:27 AM, Myralmy said:

Did anyone get the interview or any other response from UCI?  Waiting makes me anxious T^T

Yes I got accepted the next day! Good luck, waiting sucks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Mon_Epid2020fall said:

@Epi2020@meatbao@HealthPolicyEconPhd@waba2iyat Congratulations! I also received offer from Michigan Epi Phd Program with a stipend of $32k per year, guaranteed for three years, RA position, and I am out of state. I think this stipend is a satisfying one compared with other Epi phd programs. I think Michigan is good at helping Phd students get funding, but it might also depends on mentors.

I think it really depends on faculty. While the interview doesn't count for much, it helps them to pair you with a faculty advisor. If that advisor has funding available, the odds of admission are greater. 

Anyway, congrats to all who were accepted. I went there for my MPH and loved it. While it cost me alot in terms of loans, got a paper published, and made valuable contacts.

Anyone know if all offers for Michigan have been sent out for Epi? Or if Minnesota offers have been sent yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, lovetolearn said:

Anyone know if all offers for Michigan have been sent out for Epi? Or if Minnesota offers have been sent yet?

@lovetolearn it’s my understanding that they haven’t sent out all the offers yet (info is coming from someone who asked the admissions team, not me directly). ETA: speaking about Michigan.

Edited by waba2iyat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, waba2iyat said:

@lovetolearn it’s my understanding that they haven’t sent out all the offers yet (info is coming from someone who asked the admissions team, not me directly). ETA: speaking about Michigan.

Thanks @waba2iyat. There's hope yet for me I suppose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

I'm wondering if many have heard back from UCLA's PhD in HPM program? I've only seen a couple posts (I think) on UCLA.

I've received acceptances from other programs that I applied to so I know that interviews and acceptances have been going out. I reached out to ask if I've been rejected as I hadn't been invited for an interview (this was at the end of Feb.) but they said that I'm still under review but really, it feels like they are stringing me along for a delayed rejection.

Any information about interviews/acceptances/rejections from UCLA would be helpful.

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, HSRPHD said:

Hi all,

I'm wondering if many have heard back from UCLA's PhD in HPM program? I've only seen a couple posts (I think) on UCLA.

I've received acceptances from other programs that I applied to so I know that interviews and acceptances have been going out. I reached out to ask if I've been rejected as I hadn't been invited for an interview (this was at the end of Feb.) but they said that I'm still under review but really, it feels like they are stringing me along for a delayed rejection.

Any information about interviews/acceptances/rejections from UCLA would be helpful.

Thanks!

Hi @HSRPHD! I had the same thought about UCLA's program and called last week to see if all notifications had been sent out. They told me the same thing - that my application was still under departmental review. Do you know if notifications will sent via email or the mail? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PubHealth2020 said:

Hi @HSRPHD! I had the same thought about UCLA's program and called last week to see if all notifications had been sent out. They told me the same thing - that my application was still under departmental review. Do you know if notifications will sent via email or the mail? 

I assumed that they would communicate via email. I hadn't even considered mail as an option but I suppose it is one.

When you called, did they provide a timeframe for when you could expect to hear from them? I know that some people have received acceptances or invitations for interviews. They do have rolling admission so it could be less standardized...this is all speculation though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, HSRPHD said:

I assumed that they would communicate via email. I hadn't even considered mail as an option but I suppose it is one.

When you called, did they provide a timeframe for when you could expect to hear from them? I know that some people have received acceptances or invitations for interviews. They do have rolling admission so it could be less standardized...this is all speculation though.

They said by the end of much but didn't give a specific date. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, nhlkpubhealth said:

@waba2iyat I was wondering did you hear anything for when they plan to release the rest of their decisions?

@nhlkpubhealth No, I'm sorry -- I didn't ask and the person who told me didn't tell me if they had asked either. According to the results page, acceptances came in as late as March 22... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nhlkpubhealth said:

@waba2iyat That is what I saw as well. Hopefully we hear back sooner than that!

I think they do rolling admissions - its based on when grants come in and when they can secure funding. So long story short, it technically could be right up until the deadline. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

I got accepted into PhD in Epidemiology at UW, UCLA, and USC. I was hoping for some advice and just information on these schools and programs, because it is simply just impossible to choose between these options. I know USC guarantees funding, while UW and UCLA only does tuition remission if you got a TA or RA job. But what are some other pros and cons that you may know about these schools and programs? Any advice would help!! Thanks!

And of course, if you have any questions regarding the admission process, etc of these schools, let me know, I'd be happy to help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations on all the admissions and good luck for folks who are still waiting! 

I decided to accept the offer from Emory EPI PhD program. Did anyone decide to go there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So... is anyone else worrying that COVID-19 is going to screw up visits? I'm super worried that the school I am due to visit Friday (which will help me finaloze my decision) is going to shut down by then. Anyone else in this boat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2020 at 2:37 PM, wandereranew said:

I received this email in January, too, and I haven’t heard anything else yet. Also wondering if anyone else has heard anything?

 

Also wondering if anybody has been admitted to Miami? I’m assuming yes, but I’d love to hear confirmation. 

Just heard from Minnesota today, a no due to lack of funding and faculty match. 

15 minutes ago, NotaBene said:

So... is anyone else worrying that COVID-19 is going to screw up visits? I'm super worried that the school I am due to visit Friday (which will help me finaloze my decision) is going to shut down by then. Anyone else in this boat?

They should be accomodating. UWs visit days were held last Thursday and Friday, right before they announced closure. They had all materials online. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, NotaBene said:

So... is anyone else worrying that COVID-19 is going to screw up visits? I'm super worried that the school I am due to visit Friday (which will help me finaloze my decision) is going to shut down by then. Anyone else in this boat?

I know Harvard's Admitted Students' Day is officially canceled, and things will be done virtually. I would think that many schools will follow-suit, once they realize the full extent of the spread here in the US (exacerbated by weeks of "Don't Test, Don't Tell" orders from the authorities that be).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, leafypoet said:

I know Harvard's Admitted Students' Day is officially canceled, and things will be done virtually. I would think that many schools will follow-suit, once they realize the full extent of the spread here in the US (exacerbated by weeks of "Don't Test, Don't Tell" orders from the authorities that be).  

Thanks for heads up. I need to make a decision fairly soon for a couple of different reasons and this is a solo visit but meeting with various people in deptmt (it's a very small program). I guess all I can do is wait and see what happens, and perhaps do the same re: virtual meetings if it comes to that and make a decision with the info. I have. It would be so nice to be able to do a gut check, but then, it's good that some folks are taking action... and there was a good article in the New Yorker on the administration's handling, FYI, if you're interested. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.