Jump to content
GlobalHealthPhD2020

PhD Applicants: Fall 2020

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, LisaNucar said:

I saw that. I'm so curious what's been happening with my app, as it seems quite a few people (myself included never even received a confirmation). Have you heard anything?

I definitely did not receive a confirmation of my app so I'm thinking they just did not send them out? I weirdly had quite a few of my schools send no confirmation!

 

I haven't heard anything at all from Brown. I don't really expect to get an interview because they were one of my reach schools, but I hope you and everyone gets good news soon! :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I've seen on the survey page that somebody got an acceptance from University of South Florida (USF). Congrats! Do you mind sharing the details on how it happened? When was your application forwarded to the department? Did you get an interview? Thanks! 

Edited by PublicHealth123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, hopeful2020PhD said:

I did! UCSF's epidemiology program is in their school of medicine. I don't think it matters much. Many schools seem to have strong collaborations between med and public health either way.

Nice! Good luck @hopeful2020PhD I saw the UCSF program and didn't apply cuz it's extremely competitive. Yes, I totally agree. That was why I also applied to some of medical schools. Besides an interview invitation from NYU School of Medicine, I also got another invitation from CWRU School of Medicine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got my rejection from JHU's Population, Family and Reproductive health program. Very disheartened but a few more responses to go. 

Do people know anything about the UNC or UCLA applications?

 

Shikha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LisaNucar said:

If you were the one who posted results for Maryland's Behavioral And Community Health program, can you please let me know when you submitted your app?

Thank you! :)

I got an interview request for the Department of Family Science for a PhD in Maternal and Child Health. I sent in my application in November. I am SO nervous. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, leafypoet said:

Spoke to someone at Harvard - not all interviews invitations for epidemiology/population health sciences have been sent out yet, but interviews will conclude by January 22nd. Cutting it fairly fine here re: dates, so I'm not too hopeful anymore haha. 

Do you know if you have to be interviewed to be accepted? And how likely an acceptance is with an interview? The interview process seems confusing...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shikha95 said:

Got my rejection from JHU's Population, Family and Reproductive health program. Very disheartened but a few more responses to go. 

Do people know anything about the UNC or UCLA applications?

 

Shikha

Sorry to hear that, but don't lose heart! It's great that you have an interview!

I'm also waiting to hear back from UCLA. Looking at past years' forums, it seems that they didn't respond until late Jan/early Feb, so we still have some time to anxiously wait :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, phdreamer12 said:

Do you know if you have to be interviewed to be accepted? And how likely an acceptance is with an interview? The interview process seems confusing...

Unfortunately, I didn't ask! However, judging by what the admissions officer said - if we haven't heard back by the week of January 22, assume you won't be (phone) interviewed and hence won't be admitted. I would think that if the school is to be making an investment of something to the tune of 400,000 to 500,000 on each grad student, that it'd be in their interests to interview, no?

Edited by leafypoet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, leafypoet said:

Unfortunately, I didn't ask! However, judging by what the admissions officer said - if we haven't heard back by the week of January 22, assume you won't be (phone) interviewed and hence won't be admitted. I would think that if the school is to be making an investment of something to the tune of 400,000 to 500,000 on each grad student, that it'd be in their interests to interview, no?

Do you know how Harvard conduct interviews? organized and in-person? or scattered by professors? 
I received an email for setting a time for a short interview from the professor that I had mentioned in my SOP, no idea how much I can account on this. What do you think?
He sent me a ZOOM link, does anybody know that it would be video meeting or audio or undefined?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MDMS2020 said:

Do you know how Harvard conduct interviews? organized and in-person? or scattered by professors? 
I received an email for setting a time for a short interview from the professor that I had mentioned in my SOP, no idea how much I can account on this. What do you think?
He sent me a ZOOM link, does anybody know that it would be video meeting or audio or undefined?

They mentioned phone interviews, BUT if you were personally contacted by a professor, I would take that as a very good sign!!! Good luck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, leafypoet said:

They mentioned phone interviews, BUT if you were personally contacted by a professor, I would take that as a very good sign!!! Good luck. 

Thanks a lot. He asked me phone or zoom, and I chose Zoom, because I thought that it would be video call which I prefer. I've never experienced this amount of stress for academic matters so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Shikha95 said:

I got an interview request for the Department of Family Science for a PhD in Maternal and Child Health. I sent in my application in November. I am SO nervous. 

Congratulations re: Maryland! re: JHU, that's really tough. This whole process can be quite a roller coaster. Even landing an interview means you must have a lot to offer! Best of luck with your interview! Keep us posted :)

Edited by LisaNucar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, leafypoet said:

Spoke to someone at Harvard - not all interviews invitations for epidemiology/population health sciences have been sent out yet, but interviews will conclude by January 22nd. Cutting it fairly fine here re: dates, so I'm not too hopeful anymore haha. 

I'm new, but have been lurking for a while and thought I could contribute. I spoke with an admin in the department about a year ago and they said an interview is not required in order to be admitted to the SBS program. Spoke with a student recently and they mentioned that everyone in their cohort was interviewed, as far as they knew. A bit conflicting, but I'll go with the admin to ease my nerves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2020 at 2:54 AM, J.J.PubHea said:

@Samy95 I also applied to Columbia's soiomedical sciences and haven't heard back from them. Yes, the feeling is awfulllllllllll. Hey, I also applied to NYU, though not to its school of Public Health but to its school of Medicine. The NYU School of Medicine also has PhD programs in epidemiology, population health, and biostats. And I already got an interview invitation.

Thats amazing,  congrats on the interview! Best of luck :) Aahhh I hope NYU SBS haven't gone out yet! I emailed the Assistant Director of Admissions and was told interviews go out till the end of Jan. Fingers crossed. I'm definitely losing some confidence, but hanging in there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Shikha95 said:

I got an interview request for the Department of Family Science for a PhD in Maternal and Child Health. I sent in my application in November. I am SO nervous. 

I am so proud of you! I also can't believe we found each other here hahahah. Dm'ing you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To those who are interested in Brown, I heard that the interview day (at least for Epi) would be on Jan 24th, which seems a little odd that we don't have still any interview or reject on the gradcafe results other than one BSHS. I'm so curious about knowing whether they have sent out their Epi interviews or not. If not, we should wait for it in the upcoming days. Fingers Crossed...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Team (of supporters and fellow anxious folks)!

I have just discovered the Gradcafe platform and really appreciate your comments here. Anyone here applied for Health Policy/Management/Services programs? I am anxiously waiting to hear from UChicago, Harvard, UNC, Cornell and USCD.

Undergrad GPA: 4.0

Grad GPA: 3.8

Research experience: 2 years

Publications: 1 + 1 under review + 2 in progress

GRE: V155, Q154, W4.0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MDMS2020 said:

To those who are interested in Brown, I heard that the interview day (at least for Epi) would be on Jan 24th, which seems a little odd that we don't have still any interview or reject on the gradcafe results other than one BSHS. I'm so curious about knowing whether they have sent out their Epi interviews or not. If not, we should wait for it in the upcoming days. Fingers Crossed...

I contacted one faculty from Brown EPID last month. He told me that the review committee meets in Jan. So maybe they still work on application review. We may need to wait for more days to hear from the committee. Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MDMS2020 said:

To those who are interested in Brown, I heard that the interview day (at least for Epi) would be on Jan 24th, which seems a little odd that we don't have still any interview or reject on the gradcafe results other than one BSHS. I'm so curious about knowing whether they have sent out their Epi interviews or not. If not, we should wait for it in the upcoming days. Fingers Crossed...

That's interesting. As a semi-related anecdote: a friend of mine is going through this process for clinical psych and she has received two interview invites, one with 10 days notice and one with 14 days. That seems like pretty short notice to me, but perhaps for some programs that's standard?

Fingers crossed for everyone!! and welcome new posters! Happy to have you along for the commiseration and celebration! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2020 at 5:47 PM, phdforum said:

Anyone Applied to University of Miami ( Community Health and Prevention Science)? They promised to get back before January......

I applied - Got a rejection earlier this month. It wasnt my top choice and I didnt reach out to any professors ahead of the application.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MDMS2020 said:

To those who are interested in Brown, I heard that the interview day (at least for Epi) would be on Jan 24th, which seems a little odd that we don't have still any interview or reject on the gradcafe results other than one BSHS. I'm so curious about knowing whether they have sent out their Epi interviews or not. If not, we should wait for it in the upcoming days. Fingers Crossed...

 

41 minutes ago, LisaNucar said:

That's interesting. As a semi-related anecdote: a friend of mine is going through this process for clinical psych and she has received two interview invites, one with 10 days notice and one with 14 days. That seems like pretty short notice to me, but perhaps for some programs that's standard?

Fingers crossed for everyone!! and welcome new posters! Happy to have you along for the commiseration and celebration! :)

From past years results on the survey page, I think the interview invites are mostly sent out on Jan.10th (today) or 11th. Since tomorrow is Saturday, I guess today is the day?? So anxious

Edited by meatbao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Samy95 said:

Thats amazing,  congrats on the interview! Best of luck :) Aahhh I hope NYU SBS haven't gone out yet! I emailed the Assistant Director of Admissions and was told interviews go out till the end of Jan. Fingers crossed. I'm definitely losing some confidence, but hanging in there. 

Thank you @Samy95 Yes, hang in there!! Hey, who knows cuz we might end up going to NYU but different schools. Fingers crossed. @Samy95 who you wanna work with at NYU CGPH? If I remember, applicants need to identify potential mentors when applying? Have you reached out to him/her/them directly? Maybe that would help?!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.