PhD Applicants: Fall 2020

12 hours ago, Anik_91 said:

Hi Team (of supporters and fellow anxious folks)!

I have just discovered the Gradcafe platform and really appreciate your comments here. Anyone here applied for Health Policy/Management/Services programs? I am anxiously waiting to hear from UChicago, Harvard, UNC, Cornell and USCD.

Undergrad GPA: 4.0

Grad GPA: 3.8

Research experience: 2 years

Publications: 1 + 1 under review + 2 in progress

GRE: V155, Q154, W4.0

Hi! Welcome!

I am also a health policy and management person - though I only applied to UCLA, because I currently work in research in a department with loose connections to the HPM program. I know, based on past results, that decisions likely won't go out for a few more weeks, but I am obsessively checking my email. I'm trying lots of techniques to distract myself - cooking elaborate meals, exercising more. But it's always at the back of my mind!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After four rejections in a row, received a Yes from Brown! 

Ahhhh! I got into UCLA’s HPM program! I am beyond thrilled. I was getting SO nervous. This is my THIRD time applying to doctoral programs and I’ve been working in research for 8 years. YAY!

Dear friends, I have some just wonderful news for you. I got into the Harvard School of Public Health Master of Science (Epidemiology) program, and will be taking it in addition to continuing my post-

Just had a phone call with the director of the BSHS program at Brown! They're still reviewing applications so no need to worry if you haven't heard back from them yet. The faculty member I had identified as my top choice isn't taking on a student this year anymore, so they were wanting to identify who else I might fit well with. 

23 hours ago, MDMS2020 said:

Do you know how Harvard conduct interviews? organized and in-person? or scattered by professors? 
I received an email for setting a time for a short interview from the professor that I had mentioned in my SOP, no idea how much I can account on this. What do you think?
He sent me a ZOOM link, does anybody know that it would be video meeting or audio or undefined?

@MDMS2020I also got an email for a zoom interview with a Harvard professor! I applied to the PHS program. Do we think that this an official interview or is this some sort of screening process?

58 minutes ago, BehavHealthPhD2020 said:

Just had a phone call with the director of the BSHS program at Brown! They're still reviewing applications so no need to worry if you haven't heard back from them yet. The faculty member I had identified as my top choice isn't taking on a student this year anymore, so they were wanting to identify who else I might fit well with. 

Congratulations! Sounds like they were quite impressed with you! :) and thanks for the update!

Hang in there everyone. This process is WILD.

17 minutes ago, BehavHealthPhD2020 said:

did anyone else here apply to the Mental Health program and John's Hopkins? based on the past few years interviews should go out next week but the silence is killing me!

I did!! I haven't heard anything yet either and it's my top program. I am so nervous as well but trying to not get my hopes up due to low stats. I haven't seen a lot of people mention it here though!

1 hour ago, mountainmama said:

@MDMS2020I also got an email for a zoom interview with a Harvard professor! I applied to the PHS program. Do we think that this an official interview or is this some sort of screening process?

Congratulations so far! Yes I’ve been told that it was the only interview. Mine took 60 minutes on Zoom video call. Fingers crossed! I didn’t ask how many percent of interviewees would be accepted. If you find out, please share it with us. Last year Epi acceptance  rate had been 6% only!!

Edited by MDMS2020
6 minutes ago, MDMS2020 said:

Congratulations so far! Yes I’ve been told that it was the only interview. Mine took 60 minutes on Zoom video call. Fingers crossed! I didn’t ask how many percent of interviewees would be accepted. If you find out, please share it with us. Last year Epi acceptance  rate had been 6% only!!

60 minutes! They wouldn't have spent so much time with you if they weren't interested. Hope you knocked it out of the park 😍

34 minutes ago, leafypoet said:

60 minutes! They wouldn't have spent so much time with you if they weren't interested. Hope you knocked it out of the park 😍

Thanks for your positive energy :) It supposed to be 30 minutes based on the zoom link he provided, but we continued to talk about the possible research opportunities at Harvard in the upcoming years. He told that first two years are so much heavily filled with coursework, so that he told me that it’s hard to do research at the same time.

Hope that the length and the relax vibe of the interview be a good sign, although he said that he would just send a feedback to the PHS committee, and final decision would be made by them.

Also I should add that probably my interview was one of the earliest ones because he was going abroad, and told that the majority of other colleagues have not yet talked with applicants.

4 hours ago, Kendall1234 said:

Hi! Welcome!

I am also a health policy and management person - though I only applied to UCLA, because I currently work in research in a department with loose connections to the HPM program. I know, based on past results, that decisions likely won't go out for a few more weeks, but I am obsessively checking my email. I'm trying lots of techniques to distract myself - cooking elaborate meals, exercising more. But it's always at the back of my mind!

Hello!

Same here. I am also aware that results are likely to come around early-mid February, but was just hoping to know if at least interview invites are out. Cornell and UNC are still accepting applications, so those ones will probably announce the results later in Feb-March. I also considered UCLA, but they require WES evaluation of international transcripts which meant a couple more weeks and $220 extra needed - decided to limit myself to the above 5 schools. Good luck with your application! UCLA is a great HPM school.

"Emory has released interview invitations? Has anybody heard anything from them?

one case has been reported in gradcafe" -MDMS2020

Do they send them all at once?
Edited by Kelsey1599
Did not quote person
19 minutes ago, Kelsey1599 said:

"Emory has released interview invitations? Has anybody heard anything from them?

one case has been reported in gradcafe" -MDMS2020

Do they send them all at once?

Also saw this. Made me start to worry about my app. I looked at the posted results from previous years, it seems like Emory tends to send out results at once. 

6 hours ago, phd_2020 said:

Long time lurker, but just received an email saying I got an interview for the PhD in Public Health Sciences at Washington University St. Louis!! It's in-person on Feb. 7th, and I believe they are covering transportation and hotel costs.

Cong! That would be a good sign. I also applied to WUSTL. I haven’t heard anything from the committee. I start to worry about my app.

On 1/7/2020 at 11:48 AM, epi2020app said:

Thanks for the updates! Are all of these for nutrition programs?

UNC - Nutrition (doctoral event completed)

Emory - Nutrition and Health Sciences (doctoral event Feb 6-8)

JHU - International Health, Human Nutrition (phone interview scheduled)

Harvard - Population Health Sciences, Nutrition (phone interview scheduled)

Is there anyone applying for PhD program of civil engineering (Structural)?

I am an international student applying  such program and waiting for updates. Here are my backgrounds:

undergrad GPA: 3.74,

Master's GPA: 3.46,

TOEFL: 107, GRE: Q/165, V/157, AW/3.5,

Research: 4 published SCI publications (1 first-author JCR Q2 paper, 2 second-author JCR Q2 papers, 1 second-author JCR Q1 paper).

1 third-author JCR Q1 paper under review, 1 conference paper, and Grand Prize Winner of 2019 Forge Prize.

Hope my master's GPA would not hurt my applications too much.

I prefer to continue my earthquake engineering research in my doctoral study. But the funding is quite limited in the United States

Anyone who have similar research interests with me, just feel free to contact me if you are willing to.

I would be happy to have some one waiting for the decision together.

Best of luck to all the applicants!