Jump to content
GlobalHealthPhD2020

PhD Applicants: Fall 2020

Recommended Posts

Has anyone heard from Brown Epi about the recruitment/interview day? This was the only Epi program I applied to (and a long shot since my background is mostly in social/behavioral research).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, phd_2020 said:

Has anyone heard from Brown Epi about the recruitment/interview day? This was the only Epi program I applied to (and a long shot since my background is mostly in social/behavioral research).

My POI had sent me a message and set a time to meet on Thursday 16th! I’m wondering if results have been already released or be released tomorrow, what would be the purpose of our meeting 🤷‍♂️ He’s not a primary faculty, he’s a joint between Med and PH, and I guess he doesn’t have idea about the day of releasing interview list!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, phd_2020 said:

Has anyone heard from Brown Epi about the recruitment/interview day? This was the only Epi program I applied to (and a long shot since my background is mostly in social/behavioral research).

I haven't heard anything from Brown Epi as far as decisions/interviews. I called on Tuesday and was told they hadn't started reviewing epi applications yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, epi2020app said:

I haven't heard anything from Brown Epi as far as decisions/interviews. I called on Tuesday and was told they hadn't started reviewing epi applications yet.

Good news

And I think it’s highly likely, because their coordinator sent me an email 2 days ago and requested to sent her my official fall grades. 
 

It means maybe they are going to start from tomorrow 

Edited by MDMS2020

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GlobalHealthPhD2020 said:

Haha yes I believe so, at least it looks that way for Behavioral and Social Health? :) 

what great news!!! You have been so encouraging to everyone on this thread. I'm thrilled to see some positivity coming your way! :) Best of luck with your interview!

edit: ok, I just realized I may have totally misread your post  @GlobalHealthPhD2020. Don't walk and read (and react), kids! haha.

Edited by LisaNucar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LisaNucar said:

what great news!!! You have been so encouraging to everyone on this thread. I'm thrilled to see some positivity coming your way! :) Best of luck with your interview!

edit: ok, I just realized I may have totally misread your post  @GlobalHealthPhD2020. Don't walk and read (and react), kids! haha.

Aw you are the NICEST, I love love all the support on this thread! I somehow by magic did get an interview at Brown, and I hope you get some amazing news soon 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey friends, sorry to bring bad news, just wanted to share the email that I've received from Emory Epi, ALL invitations have been sent out, first reject!
Still hope for the other programs..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PublicHealth2020grad said:

Hi all! New to this thread. Has anyone heard from Harvard - Global Health and Population track? Thanks!

Same here, I haven't heard anything. If you don't  mind me asking, did you apply to any other Global Health specific programs? Just wondering as I haven't seen many others on here that have!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LauraBsms said:

Same here, I haven't heard anything. If you don't  mind me asking, did you apply to any other Global Health specific programs? Just wondering as I haven't seen many others on here that have!

Thanks for the update! I applied to JHU International Health and Columbia DrPH. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, PublicHealth2020grad said:

Thanks for the update! I applied to JHU International Health and Columbia DrPH. 

 

22 minutes ago, LauraBsms said:

Same here, I haven't heard anything. If you don't  mind me asking, did you apply to any other Global Health specific programs? Just wondering as I haven't seen many others on here that have!

 

I also applied JHU International Health! :) I couldn't find so many global health programs, so a lot of programs I looked for faculty that were doing global health oriented research!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi! Hope everybody's Monday is off to a fantastic start.  I've been keeping up with the comments throughout the winter holiday season. Congratulations & best of luck to those who have POI chats this week.  :)Just a reminder to other hopefuls (like myself)- I spoke with a lot of SBS related departments of unis before applying asking about their timelines (including Brown, Harvard, and a few other schools listed above).  Many of these schools, while they notify many applicants of acceptances, waitlists, & rejections on the same days, they have their own internal process that interviews and reviews applications in waves.  Many departments also told me that interviews are not required and some schools complete them to be sure an applicant is a good fit for a POI if it wasn't fully clear in their SOP or application, So just because some people have begun to receive interviews (which is great! they're likely in the strata of applicants with the BEST stats), it does not mean the schools have fully decided on who else could be in their incoming cohorts. Stay encouraged everybody! We have until March/April before we may hear anything from certain places.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone! Has anyone heard from health policy and management/health services research programs for interviews? Seems like many interviews that have gone out are for epi/behavioral health

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone! 

I've been following this thread for a while, and it's been so incredibly helpful, both in terms of staying up-to-date with notifications from schools, and also generally for mental and emotional support as we power through this waiting period. 

I just finished applying to Health Policy (and Management) programs up and down the East Coast. I don't have any updates that haven't been brought up already, but here's where I am so far. I've scheduled a phone interview with Hopkins, and am still waiting to hear back from my other schools. I am eagerly waiting to hear from Yale, as it sounds like interview decisions will be released soon (this week or next week). Does anyone have any intel about UPenn's health management and econ program? I know historically there has been an in-person interview day, but I'm not sure when that might be or when they might release interview decisions.

I'm eagerly and anxiously waiting to hear back from schools (or to find out updates through this forum), and will keep folks updated if I hear anything. Best of luck to everyone! It's a long and sometimes tough process, but it sure is easier to handle with this community.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, pubhealth7 said:

Hi everyone! Has anyone heard from health policy and management/health services research programs for interviews? Seems like many interviews that have gone out are for epi/behavioral health

Hi @pubhealth7, looks like we posted around the same time, and I didn't see your post when I posted. I heard from Hopkins around a week ago, but it seems like those interviews are being requested individually and not all at once. Hope this helps! Please let me know if you hear anything :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2020 at 3:36 PM, epi2020app said:

I haven't heard anything from Brown Epi as far as decisions/interviews. I called on Tuesday and was told they hadn't started reviewing epi applications yet.

Wow, I wonder if Epi candidates will have a different interview day then? Someone else in the thread mentioned the doctoral interview day is the 24th 😕

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, epidemiology_fall2020 said:

Wow, I wonder if Epi candidates will have a different interview day then? Someone else in the thread mentioned the doctoral interview day is the 24th 😕

I’ve heard from one of their Epi Ph.D. Students that it would be held on January 24th, but it doesn’t seem reasonable if they don’t release the list this week! 
I’m still mourning for Emory, and hearing another rejection in this week would be devastating! 🤦‍♂️ But this is a part of Ph.D. admission journey, and we should try to enjoy its ups and downs!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got this message from USC Health Behavior Research program omg!!! Anyone else apply and hear from USC?

You have been admitted to our Health Behavior Research Program at the University of Southern California.

 

Please let us know if you will be accepting our offer.  Our next step is the invitation to visit us either for the day. There will be an opportunity for you to meet our faculty

and the other admitted students. We provide an all-expenses paid visit for each person selected.

 

We are waiting upon confirmation of the date. It will be sometime near the end of January or very early February. I will let you know as soon as possible.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I check this forum religiously! It’s become a sense of comfort for me through this horrendous waiting game. I haven’t received any acceptances or rejections from the 7 PhD programs I applied to:

Pitt - infectious disease

UF, Miami, NYU, Columbia - Epi

UH, Tulane - Trop Med 

Has anyone else applied to Tropical Medicine programs? Haven’t seen much about them for this cycle’s forum. 

Good luck to everyone!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2020 at 4:41 PM, BehavHealthPhD2020 said:

did anyone else here apply to the Mental Health program and John's Hopkins? based on the past few years interviews should go out next week but the silence is killing me!

Looks like someone posted on the results page on this program (rejection). I have noticed a few programs have 1 or 2 rejections posted, but nothing posted about interviews or acceptances. I'm not sure what to think when I see that (when I haven't heard anything)??

 

Edited by LisaNucar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, MDMS2020 said:

I’ve heard from one of their Epi Ph.D. Students that it would be held on January 24th, but it doesn’t seem reasonable if they don’t release the list this week! 
I’m still mourning for Emory, and hearing another rejection in this week would be devastating! 🤦‍♂️ But this is a part of Ph.D. admission journey, and we should try to enjoy its ups and downs!

I'm sorry about Emory :( but with those stats + MD + knowing people at Brown already, I'm 1000% certain an acceptance is coming your way somewhere great. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, HealthPolicy2020 said:

Hi @pubhealth7, looks like we posted around the same time, and I didn't see your post when I posted. I heard from Hopkins around a week ago, but it seems like those interviews are being requested individually and not all at once. Hope this helps! Please let me know if you hear anything :)

I also heard from Hopkins last week as well as from BU and Emory. Best of luck to you as we hear back from these programs :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.