Jump to content

Bioengineering/Biomedical Engineering Applications for 2020 Admission


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Same. Good news is that I'm done and decided. Yay!

I got an offer from MIT!  Currently feeling the strangest blend of shock/excitement/happiness right now, and I want to thank everyone on this forum who has provided their support and ridden along

Got admitted to UCSD post-interview!

Posted Images

4 hours ago, AtLeastOneAdmission said:

So if I didn't get invitation for UPenn interview by now, it must be a rejection, huh?

 

Possibly, not definitely.

In their email they did not admit anyone, just invite us to visit. I'm sure some people won't take the invitation, or will be otherwise not be offered admission post visit.

I will add, they claimed that each visit is personalized and had us mark faculty we wanted to meet (as well as faculty mark students they wanted to interview), and that the preference for which date we get to visit was based on first come first serve, and to respond in 3 business days. Take that how you will, but I nonetheless wish you the best of luck.

Edited by ImpatientApplier
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ImpatientApplier said:

Possibly, not definitely.

In their email they did not admit anyone, just invite us to visit. I'm sure some people won't take the invitation, or will be otherwise not be offered admission post visit.

I will add, they claimed that each visit is personalized and had us mark faculty we wanted to meet (as well as faculty mark students they wanted to interview), and that the preference for which date we get to visit was based on first come first serve, and to respond in 3 business days. Take that how you will, but I nonetheless wish you the best of luck.

Thanks for the insight! 

I truly hope they'll send out more interviews in the coming days. BTW, I noticed you also applied to Cornell? Did you hear anything from there? 

p/s my specialty is microfluidics/lab-on-a-chip 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, AtLeastOneAdmission said:

Thanks for the insight! 

I truly hope they'll send out more interviews in the coming days. BTW, I noticed you also applied to Cornell? Did you hear anything from there? 

p/s my specialty is microfluidics/lab-on-a-chip 

No, I saw they've been trickling out straight acceptances (I assume that comes with a visit offer too lol), but at least I haven't been rejected...yet. It's somewhat interesting how different schools (and even departments within schools) take such different approaches to admissions. Just sucks we have to be on the receiving end of all that uncertainty.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a question regarding Stanford Bioengineering admissions. I saw that a batch of people got interviews mid-January and I have not received anything from them yet. They also just sent an email just now stating that decisions typically come out mid-march. I'm wondering if they accept people without an interview? Or does that fact that I have not received an interview mean that I most likely didn't get in?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Baarbod said:

I have a question regarding Stanford Bioengineering admissions. I saw that a batch of people got interviews mid-January and I have not received anything from them yet. They also just sent an email just now stating that decisions typically come out mid-march. I'm wondering if they accept people without an interview? Or does that fact that I have not received an interview mean that I most likely didn't get in?

They told me during interviews last week that adcom is meeting this week to go through applicants who had interviews last week and that decisions would be sent out in the couple weeks following. I don’t think they accept without interviews . Perhaps they will do another batch of interviews after adcom meets this week, but that is just my speculation. 

Edited by WhatTheHek293
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, WhatTheHek293 said:

They told me during interviews last week that adcom is meeting this week to go through applicants who had interviews last week and that decisions would be sent out in the couple weeks following. I don’t think they accept without interviews . Perhaps they will do another batch of interviews after adcom meets this week, but that is just my speculation. 

Was your interview a phone/skype interview or in-person?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, 2020bioE said:

Was your interview a phone/skype interview or in-person?

I thought all in-person interviews were for March 9-10, barring the international travel criterion. Maybe those are for finalists? Either way, I see I'm not the only one angsty about this. That Stanford BioE email update scared the crap out of me haha. I thought it was a rejection. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ydzhu said:

I thought all in-person interviews were for March 9-10, barring the international travel criterion. Maybe those are for finalists? Either way, I see I'm not the only one angsty about this. That Stanford BioE email update scared the crap out of me haha. I thought it was a rejection. 

They changed it this year. All short listed candidates got 3 zoom video interviews with 3 different professors last week. We were told that accepted applicants are then invited for a recruitment event March 9-10. This is different from last years on campus interviews (with decisions following the in person interviews). I do not think on campus interviews are happening this year and I am not an international student. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WhatTheHek293 said:

They changed it this year. All short listed candidates got 3 zoom video interviews with 3 different professors last week. We were told that accepted applicants are then invited for a recruitment event March 9-10. This is different from last years on campus interviews (with decisions following the in person interviews). I do not think on campus interviews are happening this year and I am not an international student. 

Appreciate the detailed info! This is the exact kind of inside scoop I like from this forum. Now I can quite worrying about their decision. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, computationaldd said:

People who were accepted to MIT BE, were you given a deadline to reply by?

I couldn't find a reply-by deadline in the e-mail; there were only deadlines to provide them with some related information (like the list of preferred faculty, etc.).

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, WanderingNomad said:

I couldn't find a reply-by deadline in the e-mail; there were only deadlines to provide them with some related information (like the list of preferred faculty, etc.).

Congrats!

For nothing more than my curiosity, would you mind giving us some stats or relevant info that you feel helped you get accepted? Totally cool if not, best wishes either way!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DreamOfferPlssssss said:

Hi folks!

according to last 3 yrs' results, seem like there are two rounds of campus visit invitation for UPenn BioE. the first round is about a week ago. anyone get any notification about 2nd round?

I'll just add that  previous years' data may not be as relevant as usual, because they have a new system in place this year (where they did Skype interviews then invitations).

Best of luck either way!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



√ó
√ó
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.