GettingDemReactions

Chemistry 2020 Cycle

Well since no one else has started this, I will.

The blank template is below

Undergrad Institution: (School or type of school, such as big state, lib arts, ivy, technical, foreign (what country?))
Major(s):
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 
Overall GPA: 
Position in Class: 
Type of Student: (Domestic/International, male/female, minority?)

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 
V: 
W: 
S: 

Research Experience: 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: (Within your school or outside?)

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: (Such as tutor, TA, etc...)

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points: 

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to Where:

Undergrad Institution: Public research university
Major(s): Chemistry
Minor(s): Biology
GPA in Major: 3.80
Overall GPA: 3.70
Position in Class: No idea
Type of Student: (Domestic/International, male/female, minority?) Domestic Male

Q: 157 (Didn't study)
V: 154 (Didn't study)
W: 4.5 (Didn't study)
S: No idea, but I think I did well (Still didn't study, but I took a healthy mix of chemistry courses so my knowledge is broad and helped for such a broad exam)

Anyone else notice that a lot of programs moved the subject GRE from required to recommended this year?

Research Experience:  4 minor undergraduate projects. 1 large undergrad med chem/organic synthesis project that I've worked on for 3 years (still continuing on a part-time basis) and received funding from the company that is sponsoring the development of the lead candidate. During my gap year, I've worked as a full-time tech in a top med chem program with a fairly well known PI. At the moment I am writing 1-first author publication from my undergrad work that will most likely be published in a journal with an impact factor of ~5. At the same time, I am also writing a co-first author (might become true first author) publication that will be published in J. med chem detailing the project from my tech position. I also wrote a honors senior thesis and presented my work 9 times at various conferences.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: (Within your school or outside?)

3 departmental awards, 1 ACS award, received 2 awards for ACS student chapter while president. Honors undergrad fellowship, senior thesis fellowship, study abroad award, summer research award. Graduated with departmental and highest honors.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: (Such as tutor, TA, etc...)

Tutor, ACS Chem Club President (won chapter awards both years), founding president of Food Science Club, Honors College, local section ACS board member, and on planning committee for upcoming ACS meeting, Honors mentor and currently a Mentor to undergrads through external organization.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Designed, ran, optimized and wrote protocols for experiments used in lab course

Special Bonus Points: 

Advanced GPA: 4.0

Last year of undergrad, only took grad level courses where I maintained a 4.0

Reached out to many PIs (actually received some responses). 

Applying to Where:

MIT, Harvard, Columbia, Caltech, Berkeley, Yale, Univ. Chicago, UIUC, Northwestern, Cornell, UT Austin, U of M, Stanford, Princeton, Irvine, Scripps, Texas A&M and University of Penn. (Hurt my wallet to write all those schools and think about the application fees)

Here is my post I put up recently with some modifications

Undergrad Institution: Cal, SNU (Masters)
Major(s): Chemistry
Overall GPA: 2.80, 4.0/4.3 masters gpa
GRE Scores: V: 156, Q: 164. W: 3.0, Subject no score yet

Interests: Total Synthesis of Natural Product

Schools I'm Applying To: Princeton, Caltech, Stanford (three top choices), Cal, UCLA, Northwestern, Yale, Harvard, UChicago, Oxford

Research Experience: Prob total of 4 yrs or so. All relating to total synthesis~

Publications: 3 papers in total. First one, 4th author (IF: 1-2), Second one, first author (IF: ~9), Third one, first author (IF:~6)

Hope we get into the schools we are shooting for!

Best of Luck to all!

Undergrad Institution: USA, tiny no-name ish school w/no grad students
Major(s): Chemistry
GPA in Major: should be 3.97
Overall GPA: 3.92
Position in Class: I would imagine top 10-15%? at least? idk?
Type of Student: Domestic Asian Female, Undergraduate senior.
Q: 167 (90%)
V: 155 (68%)
W: 5.0 (92%)
S (chem): 800 (79%)

Research Experience: Since sophomore year. Bio stuff, chem bio lab (REU) and organic lab.

The first one was eh in terms of activity (really just getting my feet wet), but I presented my work nationally (ACS) with the REU and had a school wide oral presentation with my organic stuff. Am slated to present my organic work on a local level, then nationally again.

Have one 2nd author publication in review with an ACS journal based on my organic stuff.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 

Dean's list every semester, Goldwater nominee last year (didn't get anything lmao)

Does an REU count (after my sophomore year)

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 

Ochem+calculus series tutor, STEM mentor once, leadership team of the Chem club currently.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: N/A

Special Bonus Points: 

someone who comes from a special/nontraditional type of undergrad?

Had a 4.0 my junior year in basically all upper div major classes

Have a pretty good (?) subject test score for a domestic applicant, or so I've been told.

I had/still have (much better now tho) a chronic illness that started in college. Barely skipped a beat though (even though physical and logistical hell) and it didn't impact my grades much. 

I also don't have access to like, anything grad school related in terms of people and classes at my school.
Applying to Where:

Princeton, Harvard, Stanford, UMich, Caltech, UNL, Cal, UCLA, UC Davis, Scripps (ouch)

all chem (specifically chem bio or ochem or some combo of both), but I'm also applying for another program at michigan

Top 4 choices are: Princeton, UMich, Cal, and Stanford

God help me I just started my apps