Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just received an offer from a university for GEM! They emailed me today.

From my expereince that "Willing to Accept as GEM Fellow" means something different to each university GEM rep. For example, my first choice university put that for me but they were only going to acce

I asked the institution's department about GEM funding and they said they're waiting response from another scholarship I applied to. If I don't get it they'll make me a University Fellow!  

Hi IronSeoul, What do you want to contact them about? 

If it's just to make yourself known, maybe it would be best to wait until you've been notified by GEM that you're application has been matched. From the list below on the application statues, it seems like that's when the employer gets your information. That's just my opinion though. Maybe you can ask a fellowship advisor at your university for input on this subject. I got this list from GEM fellowship 2019 forum. 

  1. Matched - GEM thinks you're a good candidate and matched you with a company(companies) 
  2. Held - A company is reviewing your credentials and is considering an interview extension
  3. Release - if you went from Held to Release then the company was looking at you, but decided to pick another scholar. (This can happen after an interview also).
  4. Accepted - You got a company sponsor! Congrats!
Link to post
Share on other sites

I attended a college after high school that was not in the drop down menu. Does anyone know if there was an option to add an institution? It's a bit late to add it now, but at least I'll know that I won't get selected because of it and won't be waiting and hoping for an acceptance. I didn't see one when I was filling out the application but now i'm thinking that I might have over looked it. 

Thanks in advance! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey all, does anyone have an idea what to do in my case? I just found out that my recently accepted graduate programme is Gem approved, but the GEM application deadline has passed, and I would already be a semester in before the next app cycle. Is it possible to still apply the next cycle as a grad student? Defer grad acceptance or what? Any advice is much appreciated!

Edited by Vitamalt
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Vitamalt,

Yes, it's possible to apply as a grad student. I'm currently a grad student, and I called to verify before I applied. I was told that as long as we have an entire year left of grad school we can still apply. You can call or email the GEM fellowship directly and ask about your specific situation. Hope this helps! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, does anyone know how to update their GRE scores on the new website? I recently got my official scores and I was trying to upload them, but there doesn't seem to be an option to do so anymore. 

 

Also @stafo it looks like that may be an error, as I was wondering the same thing. The new website interface seems incomplete and difficult to navigate (whoever built the website must have accidentally used the max score for the SAT as reference lol). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, ellokiwi said:

I emailed them about the max score being incorrect for the GRE, but heard nothing back. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  @stafo Not too concerned tho...

Anybody been contacted by a GEM employer yet?

I have not, been "Matched" for quite some time. According to the past GEM forums this is normal and your status will change often. I am hoping for the best :)))

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi fellow GEM applicants, 

Trying not to get too excited, but my status changed to Held today after about 2 weeks of being Matched. Got the following notification: "Congratulations Aerospace Corporation, The have responded to your application." Good vibes to you all!

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, mechaniCOOLengineer said:

Hi fellow GEM applicants, 

Trying not to get too excited, but my status changed to Held today after about 2 weeks of being Matched. Got the following notification: "Congratulations Aerospace Corporation, The have responded to your application." Good vibes to you all!

Congratulations! That's awesome news! Did you get the notification via email or when you logged in to the portal?

Link to post
Share on other sites

My status has remained unmatched. I am pretty sure that I will not be matched since my field (Geology) only had 1 potential employer, and even the chance of being matched with them is very, very slim. Oh well, hoping to get the associate fellowship. Wishing everyone else the best of luck :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2019 at 7:36 PM, Hope12 said:

Hi Vitamalt,

Yes, it's possible to apply as a grad student. I'm currently a grad student, and I called to verify before I applied. I was told that as long as we have an entire year left of grad school we can still apply. You can call or email the GEM fellowship directly and ask about your specific situation. Hope this helps! 

Hi Hope12, 

Thank you so much for the response! I will call them and ask. I found out about GEM funding masters program after the deadline. DO you know if I would have to wait for the next app cycle to begin? Thanks, anyway and I will call them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Vitamalt said:

Hi Hope12, 

Thank you so much for the response! I will call them and ask. I found out about GEM funding masters program after the deadline. DO you know if I would have to wait for the next app cycle to begin? Thanks, anyway and I will call them. 

Hi Vitamalt,

Unfortunately,  you will have to wait until the next application cycle to be considered. My friend attempted to apply to the day after the deadline and they denied him. However, since you are calling them, it won't hurt to try your luck and ask. Sorry!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/12/2019 at 12:23 PM, stafo said:

Hi Vitamalt,

Unfortunately,  you will have to wait until the next application cycle to be considered. My friend attempted to apply to the day after the deadline and they denied him. However, since you are calling them, it won't hurt to try your luck and ask. Sorry!

Hi Stafo, 

Thank you for the advice. I will keep it in mind!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2019 at 2:41 PM, Hope12 said:

Hi IronSeoul, What do you want to contact them about? 

If it's just to make yourself known, maybe it would be best to wait until you've been notified by GEM that you're application has been matched. From the list below on the application statues, it seems like that's when the employer gets your information. That's just my opinion though. Maybe you can ask a fellowship advisor at your university for input on this subject. I got this list from GEM fellowship 2019 forum. 

  1. Matched - GEM thinks you're a good candidate and matched you with a company(companies) 
  2. Held - A company is reviewing your credentials and is considering an interview extension
  3. Release - if you went from Held to Release then the company was looking at you, but decided to pick another scholar. (This can happen after an interview also).
  4. Accepted - You got a company sponsor! Congrats!

Yes I just wanted to make myself known, but I might also email GEM and ask them as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.