Jump to content

2019-2020 Application Thread


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Romcomulus said:

Is it common for applicants to apply to 20+ schools? I just saw an NYU admit that applied to 22 schools. I applied to ten and I thought that was a lot. Lol, now I'm worried I should have applied to more.

i applied to 15 schools and prob would stupid go  for 23-ish if i could afford it

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Welp, I received my last application decision last night. So I guess this cycle is over for me! I'll be posting my profile in the other thread once I make my decision (probably on Sunday).  I wis

Officially struck out this year so I'm done here for now, but congrats to everyone who got in this cycle! For those who did not, solidarity :). 

Claiming a rejection from Columbia (email to check the portal this morning). Also claiming a Harvard acceptance (got a call this morning). Only have Yale to hear back from, and after that I'll post my

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Romcomulus said:

Is it common for applicants to apply to 20+ schools? I just saw an NYU admit that applied to 22 schools. I applied to ten and I thought that was a lot. Lol, now I'm worried I should have applied to more.

I mean concerning the application fees that average around $70, it makes more than $1500 to only apply to that many schools. As an international student, that is more than the whole salary of a person in Turkey. LOL.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kemalgider said:

I mean concerning the application fees that average around $70, it makes more than $1500 to only apply to that many schools. As an international student, that is more than the whole salary of a person in Turkey. LOL.

Probably even more than that considering all UC's have a $120 fee I think.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Romcomulus said:

I can't think of 23 schools I would want to go to. However, my desire to get in somewhere far outweighs any reservations about going to a school I'm not familiar with, lol. 

fair point.

I sort of went all in with my safe choice closing the ranking and dropping places like Rochester or some Ivys because I really chanced myself as a very unlikely admit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Romcomulus said:

Is it common for applicants to apply to 20+ schools? I just saw an NYU admit that applied to 22 schools. I applied to ten and I thought that was a lot. Lol, now I'm worried I should have applied to more.

That's me. I have a different family situation than most (kids and a spouse who wants to work in their field), so I applied to a good number. Additionally, I REALLY didn't think I'd get into many, so I wanted to apply broadly so as to have options in terms of cost of living, rank, etc.. My undergrad department also funds up to $500 in application fees for students and former students, so that helped a bit. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sloth_girl said:

That's me. I have a different family situation than most (kids and a spouse who wants to work in their field), so I applied to a good number. Additionally, I REALLY didn't think I'd get into many, so I wanted to apply broadly so as to have options in terms of cost of living, rank, etc.. My undergrad department also funds up to $500 in application fees for students and former students, so that helped a bit. 

Well you absolutely killed it. You’ll have your pick of amazing schools and advisors   Congratulations!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Romcomulus said:

Is it common for applicants to apply to 20+ schools? I just saw an NYU admit that applied to 22 schools. I applied to ten and I thought that was a lot. Lol, now I'm worried I should have applied to more.

On one hand, of course it’s better to apply as many as possible.  On the other hand, ranking and fit kinda limit my choice.  For example, I didn’t apply for any top 20 schools based on my mediocre gpa which is around 3.5. I didn’t apply for schools ranking after 40 either    And between 20-40, I have to make sure The department fit me. Make sure there Are at least three professors to be my POI         I applied for 9 and so far one acceptance. 

Edited by needanoffersobad
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, needanoffersobad said:

On one hand, of course it’s better to apply as many as possible.  On the other hand, ranking and fit kinda limit my choice.  For example, I didn’t apply for any top 20 schools based on my mediocre gpa which is around 3.5. I didn’t apply for schools ranking after 40 either    And between 20-40, I have to make sure The department fit me. Make sure there Are at least three professors to be my POI         I applied for 9 and so far one acceptance. 

It might be a bummer to tell you this at this point, but my college GPA is below 3.5 and I got admission from a top 20 school. I think the research fit was the most important thing in my case

Edited by horololo
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, niceward said:

I applied in CP in Boulder. @Dwar, I know you're not in my field. Wondering about the other poster...

Congratulations, by the way! I'm glad you got some good news. :)

Thank you so much!

ALSO, I'm not seeing any rejections out yet, so not sure what that timeline will be, but I do know that CU likes to hold a large waitlist so if you don't receive either an acceptance or rejection then I would assume you're on that. I know last year they drew alot of students from it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, horololo said:

It might be a bummer to tell you this at this point, but my college GPA is below 3.5 and I got admission from a top 20 school. I think the research fit was the most important thing in my case

Wow u r killing me hahah! Congratulations!   Later after this application cycle, maybe u can share your tips in application.  That will help lots of people I bet! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dwar said:

Thank you so much!

ALSO, I'm not seeing any rejections out yet, so not sure what that timeline will be, but I do know that CU likes to hold a large waitlist so if you don't receive either an acceptance or rejection then I would assume you're on that. I know last year they drew alot of students from it. 

Dwar you got in to CU??? WOOHOO!!! Excited to hear that! Two years of this and it paid off! My fingers are crossed I get similar news - I can't possibly come back a third year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, horololo said:

It might be a bummer to tell you this at this point, but my college GPA is below 3.5 and I got admission from a top 20 school.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Sub 3.5 GPA and so far I have acceptances from two top 20 and two 20-25 schools. I think research fit makes such a difference when departments are reviewing applications. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dwar said:

Thank you so much!

ALSO, I'm not seeing any rejections out yet, so not sure what that timeline will be, but I do know that CU likes to hold a large waitlist so if you don't receive either an acceptance or rejection then I would assume you're on that. I know last year they drew alot of students from it. 

@DwarAlso yes congrats!! That's great :) 

@niceward I applied to the IR subfield and haven't seen anyone post about that so hoping that they either haven't done anything for IR yet or that the waitlist is indeed long and used 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, e2e4 said:

I applied to CUNY, JH, and Brown. Have not heard anything yet. 

Hey, good luck! Maybe we'll see each other in the fall. :) What subfield? 

Edited by niceward
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.