Dwar

2019-2020 Application Thread

Anyone claiming the Cornell admit? Today is the day for the schools I applied to, apparently.

45 minutes ago, BunniesInSpace said:

Definitely a troll. Wasn't going to say this earlier but this guy's first posts about getting into Michigan were very similar to the style of post that falsely spammed the results page. 

Not to mention that if he is real that he'll be easily doxxable to all faculty/grad students at Michigan/admitted students within a month + the public within a year if he enrolls at Michigan based on info provided already on this board and a clearly bad irl attitude. I struggle to believe that someone is that unaware that people here are the community that they're about to enter. 

Ps @sloth_girl (but also posters at large, and those seeking to follow a similar strategy in the future), I know people have been sporadically giving you a hard time here because you've applied to so many programs, which is BS because schools know how to manage waitlists. The fact is, unless you come from an uber elite undergrad+excellent grades+recs from famous people, nothing is guaranteed and if your goal is to get into the best possible program (and if you're trying to get your SO a nearby job as well), you're best to not to leave out any school in the top 15 if finances allow. That's how the market works. Fit matters, but our perception of fit is so different from what the admissions may perceive as fit. 

If you want to talk programs/vibes my PMs are open. I went through a similar cycle to yours (found the forum later though so here I am retroactively lurking and posting) and know the analysis paralysis feel and know that deciding is easier when there's someone to talk impressions and worries through with. 

Thank you so much -- I would love to connect! And the analysis paralysis is real haha

16 hours ago, Hopefulpolisciboop said:

The DGS for a program I applied to emailed me earlier with some information and told me he'd be happy to chat if I wanted. I said yes, the conversation is tomorrow, and now I'm running out of questions to ask. Does anyone have any suggestions for something useful to ask during a conversation beyond things like funding? It doesn't seem so much like an interview as much as informal chat but that's making me even more stressed than I would otherwise be

Attrition

2 hours ago, PoliSci4FlyGuys said:

Have any Princeton admits heard from POIs? The only communication I've had with them has been from DGS and to coordinate the visit and am getting antsy. 

Got individual emails from my POIs yesterday. I think it depends on your subfield and POI.

Edited by harshz3792

I will pretend the Cornell admits are troll until someone claims it to make myself more comfortable during lunch time.

1 minute ago, SDMSK said:

I will pretend the Cornell admits are troll until someone claims it to make myself more comfortable during lunch time.

literally same... but a part of me knows it's probably real. i dont get it, do people actually purposely post fake results? thats a lot of effort and for what...?

2 minutes ago, SDMSK said:

Sounds like a plan.

Hi All.  

I'm sorry to say this, but I'm claiming a Cornell admit.  Had the god awful GRE quant score, 152.  Fit matters, obviously.  Also, this process seems incredibly idiosyncratic, lol.  IR subfield.  Domestic student. Admit letter said they had 326 applicants.

*edits* I (will) have a respected grad degree, so I think that helps too.  Also a strong grad GPA and good research experience and LORs.  But, wow.  I didn't think a Cornell admit was possible with my GRE scores.    

Edited by Mr_Spock2018

Just now, Mr_Spock2018 said:

Hi All.  

I'm sorry to say this, but I'm claiming a Cornell admit.  Had the god awful GRE quant score, 152.  Fit matters, obviously.  Also, this process seems incredibly idiosyncratic, lol.  IR subfield.  Admit letter said they had 326 applicants.  

Don't apologize, congrats! That's amazing.

Hi All.  

I'm sorry to say this, but I'm claiming a Cornell admit.  Had the god awful GRE quant score, 152.  Fit matters, obviously.  Also, this process seems incredibly idiosyncratic, lol.  IR subfield.  Admit letter said they had 326 applicants.  

That's amazing!! congratulations :)

1 minute ago, Mr_Spock2018 said:

Hi All.  

It's okay lol. Congrats! 

4 minutes ago, Mr_Spock2018 said:

Hi All.  

*edits* I (will) have a respected grad degree, so I think that helps too.  Also a strong grad GPA and good research experience and LORs.  But, wow.  I didn't think a Cornell admit was possible with my GRE scores.    

Also are you a domestic or international admit?

1 hour ago, shyareene said:

Also are you a domestic or international admit?

Domestic, sorry for the confusion.  

Domestic, sorry for the confusion.  

haha it's okay, don't apologize!! This is your happy moment, you should be super proud :)

34 minutes ago, harshz3792 said:

Got a call from Georgetown notifying me about my offer. IR Subfield!

Nothing from Georgetown yet.  I hope it does not mean rejection. 

Hi all, also claiming a Cornell admit. Really didn't expect it but I'm over the moon (had 4 rejections before this). 

Claiming Stanford (via phone call) and Cornell (via email). I'm pretty shocked -- I didn't expect this. I think it just happens to be a year where my research interests align well -- I doubt I could replicate this any other year. There is a lot out of anyone's control on this (fit, faculty availability, funding, etc.), and I know they could recreate exceptional cohorts 5 times over easily. 

Sort of off topic for today, but did anyone else apply for the dual PhD between Columbia and Sciences Po? Not sure if the decision/notification process is different for the partnership program.

7 minutes ago, ick5300 said:

Congrats to those that were accepted. I applied to Stanford and Cornell but have heard nothing. I am an unlikely candidate. I feel like an idiot for trying, wasting my money and their time. I'm angry at myself for having a bit of a pity party about it. It's unexpectedly difficult.

You didn't waste anyone's time! Never fault yourself for trying. The fact that you put in the effort to apply to PhD programs in the first place already speaks to your dedication and ambition. 

This is actually my second cycle. I fared poorly on my previous attempt. I focused on improving my application to have one more try and this time around I've been extremely fortunate to get several good options.

Don't lose hope!

Edited by Nichrome

Hey friends! 

Are any of you Stanford admits in AP? Wondering because I haven't seen any posters say AP. I'm into some great programs but wow oh wow would the bay area be a great place to go to school!!

I wasn't rejected yet, but I have a feeling it's coming and that I won't be going anywhere next year. Any tips on how to deal with this rejection? My heart hurts :( 

Anyway, congratulations to all those accepted! I wish you all the very best of luck. You worked hard and you deserve every bit of your success! Enjoy your moment ❤️ 

5 minutes ago, SmokedSalmonGuy said:

Hey friends! 

Are any of you Stanford admits in AP? Wondering because I haven't seen any posters say AP. I'm into some great programs but wow oh wow would the bay area be a great place to go to school!!

I am AP as well and haven’t heard anything! Fingers crossed coming out in batches?