Jump to content

2019-2020 Application Thread


Recommended Posts

So I know that some people have been writing to their schools they want to go to (at least so it seems here and on the results section) and asking about waitlisting, timelines, etc. And I was just wondering what the group's opinions are on trying to make your case to either a waitlist school (by ex: saying you would accept immediately if they offered it), or to a school you haven't been accepted to yet.

I've been going back and forth on it myself. It seems like it could be both harmful and beneficial depending on how you framed it. But I was just curious if any of you have done that and if you've gotten a generally positive or negative response from it? I'm dying here haha - I need to do something otherwise I'll go mad. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Welp, I received my last application decision last night. So I guess this cycle is over for me! I'll be posting my profile in the other thread once I make my decision (probably on Sunday).  I wis

Officially struck out this year so I'm done here for now, but congrats to everyone who got in this cycle! For those who did not, solidarity :). 

Claiming a rejection from Columbia (email to check the portal this morning). Also claiming a Harvard acceptance (got a call this morning). Only have Yale to hear back from, and after that I'll post my

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, GabriellaG said:

And I was just wondering what the group's opinions are on trying to make your case to either a waitlist school (by ex: saying you would accept immediately if they offered it)

This is 100% appropriate. You’re more likely to hear a positive response if you tell them they are your top choice. For waitlists I’d say that contacting the DGS a few times (maybe once a month or so) to just check in is appropriate.

But I’d also try and figure out when events are and contact after. For example, a lot of programs judge a students level of interest by their attendance at a recruitment event. Similarly a lot of students decide if they’ll attend a school after a recruitment event. So if you can figure out when the event is for your waitlisted school then It may work better if you email them a week after the event ends. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GabriellaG said:

So I know that some people have been writing to their schools they want to go to (at least so it seems here and on the results section) and asking about waitlisting, timelines, etc. And I was just wondering what the group's opinions are on trying to make your case to either a waitlist school (by ex: saying you would accept immediately if they offered it), or to a school you haven't been accepted to yet.

I've been going back and forth on it myself. It seems like it could be both harmful and beneficial depending on how you framed it. But I was just curious if any of you have done that and if you've gotten a generally positive or negative response from it? I'm dying here haha - I need to do something otherwise I'll go mad. 

Doesn't hurt to let the school know you'd 100% go if you were moved off the waitlist. That kind of info only helps them. Jumping the gun with schools that haven't sent out admits likely won't hurt, but I doubt it would help much unless they thought you were just treating them like a safety.... who knows... squeaky wheels tend to do well 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all!

For those waiting for Notre Dame decisions, I sent an email to the program coordinator and she answered yesterday: "We are still making admissions decisions at this time and hope to have all decisions made by the end of next week."

I know there've been a couple of admissions (and i think some interviews earlier too), so the chances of recieving an offer might be low at this point, but just wanted to share the info.

Good luck!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dwar said:

This is 100% appropriate. You’re more likely to hear a positive response if you tell them they are your top choice. For waitlists I’d say that contacting the DGS a few times (maybe once a month or so) to just check in is appropriate.

But I’d also try and figure out when events are and contact after. For example, a lot of programs judge a students level of interest by their attendance at a recruitment event. Similarly a lot of students decide if they’ll attend a school after a recruitment event. So if you can figure out when the event is for your waitlisted school then It may work better if you email them a week after the event ends. 

 

46 minutes ago, e2e4 said:

Doesn't hurt to let the school know you'd 100% go if you were moved off the waitlist. That kind of info only helps them. Jumping the gun with schools that haven't sent out admits likely won't hurt, but I doubt it would help much unless they thought you were just treating them like a safety.... who knows... squeaky wheels tend to do well 

Thanks guys! Much appreciated!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sloth_girl said:

Just got an acceptance to Penn via email (I'm CP for those that don't know already)

Congratulations! I’m also CP. no email from Penn... so I’m guessing now news is bad news in this case...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.