Jump to content
neuromorgan

Fall 2020 Cognitive Psychology Interview Invites

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, neuromorgan said:

I applied to four Canadian programs. No news yet for any interviews or indication on timelines from PIs.

I heard back from UofT this week (Skype interview), though I emailed the PI before applying. She said it's likely going quiet for the next few weeks, unless profs want to send emails over break. Probably picks up again in January.

UofT was late getting to applications this year because ETS was dragging their ass with sending the GRE scores.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, gre.egg said:

 

UofT was late getting to applications this year because ETS was dragging their ass with sending the GRE scores.

Gaaah what is it with ETS and sending scores to Canadian schools this year? Last year everybody got them in like a week, two weeks was the max. This year after a month and a half programs say they will use the unofficial scores until the official arrive because they still haven't received them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SoundofSilence said:

Gaaah what is it with ETS and sending scores to Canadian schools this year? Last year everybody got them in like a week, two weeks was the max. This year after a month and a half programs say they will use the unofficial scores until the official arrive because they still haven't received them.

Yeah, on my application it still says "documents pending" because of the GRE scores. But when I spoke to the POI (and admissions) she said she had them.

UofT also doesn't receive scores electronically, they get paper copies from ETS and then hand transcribe them. Why? Who knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone,

Has anyone heard from UCR yet?

My situation is a little tricky: I had an informal Skype interview with a faculty at UCR, visited his research lab, and did a presentation in his lab meeting. All of these happened before the application deadline. The school admission said that faculty will interview applicants whom they want to work with via Skype/phone after viewing their application (they don't have in-person interviews.) So, I'm not sure things that happened before their application deadline mean anything...  Though he did somehow indicate his willingness to accept me during my visit, I just haven't heard back from the school yet, and it's driving me crazy -- should I email him instead, or should I wait a little longer?  And advices?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MeloBook249 said:

Hi everyone,

Has anyone heard from UCR yet?

My situation is a little tricky: I had an informal Skype interview with a faculty at UCR, visited his research lab, and did a presentation in his lab meeting. All of these happened before the application deadline. The school admission said that faculty will interview applicants whom they want to work with via Skype/phone after viewing their application (they don't have in-person interviews.) So, I'm not sure things that happened before their application deadline mean anything...  Though he did somehow indicate his willingness to accept me during my visit, I just haven't heard back from the school yet, and it's driving me crazy -- should I email him instead, or should I wait a little longer?  And advices?

I would wait a little longer. It is still very early, and so emailing him or the department office may seem a bit pushy (especially on Christmas Eve). I would wait until the end of January, and then if you still have not heard anything, email the psychology department office just to check where things are at in the process! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, lolhelp said:

I would wait a little longer. It is still very early, and so emailing him or the department office may seem a bit pushy (especially on Christmas Eve). I would wait until the end of January, and then if you still have not heard anything, email the psychology department office just to check where things are at in the process! 

I'm definitely with you. I was going to send a email after the holiday season, but the rational side of myself was telling me even that would be a bit early. I guess it's just that seeing other people receiving interview offers, while I'm not hearing back from schools I applied to makes me paranoid. The good news (I presume) is that I didn't see anyone posted interview offers from the schools on my list, so it is possible that things are slower for them. Anyways, thanks for your advice! Hope things come out well for both of us. Happy holidays!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/18/2019 at 8:02 AM, neuromorgan said:

AAH! So excited to be able to fill this out!!

 

School: Notre Dame

Type: PhD

Date of invite: December 17, 2019

Type of invite: Email from PI (Initials JK)

Interview date(s): THIS Thursday or Friday (omg so quick) via Zoom with another faculty member

I got a second interview! The PI (JK) emailed me on Friday 12/27/19 to organize, the professor who is interviewing me (JP) replied Sunday 12/29/19, and the Skype interview is tomorrow Monday 12/30/19!

I'm hoping the speed at which these interviews are coming is a good sign 🤞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/19/2019 at 7:44 PM, jazzgirl said:

Regarding the informal Skype interviews, will they usually let you know their decision at the end of the interview?

I don't think so, I had a really long convo with my PI and he said he'll let me know in a few days after speaking with the other advisors. I think it does vary by program and also whether you applied to multiple advisors.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eek, so excited to be able to fill this out.

School: Tufts

Type: PhD

Date of invite: 12/30

Type of invite: School visit/email from PI

Interview date(s): Feb. 9th and 10th

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

School: Arizona State

Type: PhD

Date of invite: December 23, 2019

Type of invite: Email from Dept. Head (Initials GB)

Interview date(s): 2/6 - 2/8 ; billed as a "recruitment/interview weekend", had 2 informal chats with PI (NA) prior. PI also told me I'd be officially invited on 12/13.

UCMerced Interview Invite pending according to informal email from PI (MS), holding out for official correspondence, unknown dates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

School: UCLA

Type: PhD

Date of invite: 1/08

Type of invite: School visit/email from PI

Interview date(s): Jan. 31st and Feb. 1st.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To the poster who received UIUC Cognitive Neuroscience unofficial interview invitation: would you mind sharing/DM the initials of your POI? Thank you very much!

Edited by cccneuronccc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi any JHU Psychological and Brain Sciences applicant around who have received interview invites? Please post your PIs Initials here. That would help many of us. Thank you. or PM me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the person who is admitted into UCR's cognitive psychology program ( Jan 3 from the results page) sees this, could you share me the initial of your POI? Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.