Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, monkeycat said:

Just got the email from Yale, admitted students weekend is cancelled¬†ūüėę

Damn that really sucks...wondering if SEAS will cancel theirs too. It's in about a week and a half so I would hope for some notice soon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, prokem said:

Damn that really sucks...wondering if SEAS will cancel theirs too. It's in about a week and a half so I would hope for some notice soon

I really hope not¬†¬†ūüėź¬†I'm looking forward to seeing Ann Arbor and getting to know more about SEAS, and either way I'll already be traveling to PR that week for¬†spring break so I'm not worried about traveling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is anyone else feeling extra stress about choosing a program because of COVID-19? All of my accepted students weekends have been cancelled, and I was counting on them to help me choose. Also, with many universities cancelling in-person classes for the remainder of the semester, I'm anxious about making a big financial commitment when that could be a possibility again in the fall. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, kcovt said:

Is anyone else feeling extra stress about choosing a program because of COVID-19? All of my accepted students weekends have been cancelled, and I was counting on them to help me choose. Also, with many universities cancelling in-person classes for the remainder of the semester, I'm anxious about making a big financial commitment when that could be a possibility again in the fall. 

It's so stressful being in college right now (my university just went online until April 5 and is kicking all of us out of university housing so I have to figure out where to go) so I can only hope this is resolved by the fall¬†ūüė£

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bad news, everyone. I called up Duke again and they are sending an email later today cancelling Admitted Students weekend. Classes are virtual for the rest of the semester as well. I was looking forward to seeing the campus and meeting some of you! Hopefully we'll cross paths in the Fall (wherever we all end up...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, WatercolorPainter said:

Bad news, everyone. I called up Duke again and they are sending an email later today cancelling Admitted Students weekend. Classes are virtual for the rest of the semester as well. I was looking forward to seeing the campus and meeting some of you! Hopefully we'll cross paths in the Fall (wherever we all end up...)

Boo, that's a pity :( I was also looking forward to it. Luckily I live right nearby, so I can go talk to professors myself, but it would've been nice to meet the potential cohort. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, LazarusRises said:

Boo, that's a pity :( I was also looking forward to it. Luckily I live right nearby, so I can go talk to professors myself, but it would've been nice to meet the potential cohort. 

Welp, I bought my ticket to Durham already. This sucks, I was really looking forward to it :( @kcovt I 100% feel more stressed. I applied to all my programs because I thought I would be a good fit. However, without visiting and meeting the rest of the cohort, I really don't know where I stand now. 

Edited by monkeycat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just got an email from Dean Stanback confirming that the Nicholas School's Admitted Students Weekend is cancelled. Oh well.

Of perhaps more interest to some: the email also mentioned that financial aid awards will be sent the week of March 20th. Hooray, more waiting!

Edited by LazarusRises

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

FYI, Yale FES financial aid decisions are being sent out! 

Edited by aditi.b235

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Rosemary86 said:

Do we have any idea what the average financial award is at FES? I have a hard time judging mine because I have no context.

I got 18k need based renewable my second year (36k total). I'm assuming that means I did not receive any merit based scholarships? Did anyone get merit scholarships or is Yale's financial aid only need based? Lower than what I expected given the cost of attendance is sooooo high.

Edited by monkeycat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just so everyone is aware: SEAS cancelled admitted students day on the 20th but seems to be reimbursing travel nonetheless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Rosemary86 said:

Do we have any idea what the average financial award is at FES? I have a hard time judging mine because I have no context.

I was offered a $20,000 renewable, need-based schlolarship from FES.  I was hoping for at least 30k, but I'm relieved to have some aid!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, monkeycat said:

I got 18k need based renewable my second year (36k total). I'm assuming that means I did not receive any merit based scholarships? Did anyone get merit scholarships or is Yale's financial aid only need based? Lower than what I expected given the cost of attendance is sooooo high.

I think it's only need based, and it looks like we all had similar offers- I was 19k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, scalmanac said:

I think it's only need based, and it looks like we all had similar offers- I was 19k

I received 14k in renewable need-based aid. Do y'all think there's any chance for an appeal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, prokem said:

Just so everyone is aware: SEAS cancelled admitted students day on the 20th but seems to be reimbursing travel nonetheless.

I'm planning on still traveling to Ann Arbor if anyone else is, too, and wants to meet up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rosemary86 said:

Do we have any idea what the average financial award is at FES? I have a hard time judging mine because I have no context.

I received 16k renewable, which barely makes a dent but glad regardless - really rooting for those work-study options now. Does anyone know when we can start applying for those? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, tillyk said:

I'm planning on still traveling to Ann Arbor if anyone else is, too, and wants to meet up!

Most likely as I still want to get a feel of campus and its environs. I'll be travelling from the DC area and would be willing to meet up. Stressful time for everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, A.Z117 said:

Most likely as I still want to get a feel of campus and its environs. I'll be travelling from the DC area and would be willing to meet up. Stressful time for everyone.

I'm coming from DC as well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

For any FES-ers, they have started approving requests to join the Facebook group. Might be a good place to network/ get to know potential classmates!

Edit: Also side note hope everyone is staying safe and healthy! What a bizarre few days 

Edited by kcovt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, kcovt said:

For any FES-ers, they have started approving requests to join the Facebook group. Might be a good place to network/ get to know potential classmates!

Edit: Also side note hope everyone is staying safe and healthy! What a bizarre few days 

Could you please link it? Where did you find it, I just assumed they didn't have one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.