Jump to content

Fall 2020 Statistics Applicant Thread


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since the application season is nearing the end for PhD applicants, are people interested in creating a results thread? I created last year's thread, and if there's enough interest I can go ahead and

I got accepted to University of Washington! So excited I'm actually shaking

I've been through the process a few times, and I think the only real way to lower the stress is to lower the importance that you assign to the whole process, which you can do in a few ways. 1) Yo

On 2/7/2020 at 1:16 PM, bayessays said:

I've been through the process a few times, and I think the only real way to lower the stress is to lower the importance that you assign to the whole process, which you can do in a few ways.

1) You already have some admissions.  Spend some time researching the programs you've gotten into, the city, where you might live.  Get excited about one of the opportunities you already have.

2) If you can't get excited about the schools you're already in, think about what you might do if you don't get in anywhere.  I'm sure as  a smart math-savvy grad, you'll have some other decent options of things you could occupy yourself with for a year.  Find a fun alternative. Convince yourself you don't actually need to go to grad school this year and you won't assign any importance to the process.  Life is long, and if you realize waiting a year won't be the end of the world, it removes the pressure.

I don't think you'll ever get rid of the curiosity and desire to check your email and see results, but you can at least lower the unnecessary stress.  I've worried myself sick about this stuff too many times and it's not worth it.  Your life will be fine regardless of these results and you really need to convince yourself of the truth of that.

well said bayessays! Thank you for sharing the tips! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, softdrink said:

I am an international student. I had interview with Colorado state University today and I got an offer! Anyone knows how the program is? 

Congratulation on your offer! I  wonder did you apply for statistics or biostatistics?

Edited by Jasmine Ng
Link to post
Share on other sites

I woke up this morning to an acceptance to UC Berkeley! I started this application season thinking I would get into two or three places, so it's really amazing to have so many great options. 

For those on waitlists, I'll start turning down some offers, but I think I'll visit before making my final decisions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Casorati said:

Has anyone heard back from Michigan biostatistics? I saw some rejections posted. Did UIUC interview international students who study in North America?

Michigan biostat admits people directly to their PhD program in late Feb usually. Their initial decisions are rejects/PhDs downgraded to MS. So it's probably just a waiting game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, J456 said:

I haven't heard from Michigan, and it seems they released some decision today. How does this school usually send its acceptances? In batches? Should I think this is a rejection?

I'm not expert but I applied to them three years ago and didn't hear for the longest time. I finally reached out to them in, perhaps, the beginning of March and they told me I was wait listed. I heard by early April that they had gotten enough acceptances from those they made offers to that I would not be accepted.

From personal experience, then, I'd guess that you are likewise wait listed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have seen some acceptances for some schools where I’ve heard nothing (Washington, Berkeley, CMU), and I have also seen some acceptances AND rejections for other schools where I’ve also heard nothing (Chicago). Does anyone know whether any of these schools send admits in batches, or am likely to end up with a rejection from these schools? Any insight into the process for these schools or more generally would be appreciated! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, softdrink said:

I am an international student. I had interview with Colorado state University today and I got an offer! Anyone knows how the program is? 

congrats! I emailed them yesterday they said my application is still in queue. 

My former co-worker is in the program and  from our previous conversation, he said the prelims are after the first semester and second semester. Fort Collins is a nice place to live in (it's Colorado!), but I also heard from other friends that Colorado is expensive like New York and California. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MethodOfMothers said:

I have seen some acceptances for some schools where I’ve heard nothing (Washington, Berkeley, CMU), and I have also seen some acceptances AND rejections for other schools where I’ve also heard nothing (Chicago). Does anyone know whether any of these schools send admits in batches, or am likely to end up with a rejection from these schools? Any insight into the process for these schools or more generally would be appreciated! 

Based on historical posts, I'm pretty sure that CMU sends out pretty much all of their acceptances at once, before putting some people on their wait list and sending out (a lot) of rejections a week or two later.

I didn't get anything from CMU either, so I'm betting on a rejection. C'est la vie. 😕

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SomeNerd said:

congrats! I emailed them yesterday they said my application is still in queue. 

My former co-worker is in the program and  from our previous conversation, he said the prelims are after the first semester and second semester. Fort Collins is a nice place to live in (it's Colorado!), but I also heard from other friends that Colorado is expensive like New York and California. 

Some places in Colorado are becoming more expensive, but even expensive parts of Denver/Boulder are much cheaper than cities like NYC/SF/LA.  Fort Collins is going to be much more affordable than any major city on a coast.

The program itself has a very solid reputation and some great faculty.  It is one of the best (maybe the best) places to go if you're interested in environmental statistics.  Lots of bayesian stuff too, as well as other fields.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.