Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, justacigar said:

Yeah, I have gauges and feel like it would look worse to take them out lol. I also plan on having my hair down, so ears probably won't be a major focus! I'm surprised about keeping nose piercings in. I've always taken out facial piercings for job interviews and what not, but maybe I haven't needed to. I have my septum pierced now, though, which I will definitely be taking out haha

If you have a septum piercing, depending on the kind of jewelry you wear in it, you can just flip it up into your nose while you're there so you don't have to take it out! That's what another one of the coordinators in my lab does on days she's meeting with study participants.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No, don't wear it. This process is meant to present the best versions of our actual selves, not for us to try and fit into some cultural expectations. I don't wear makeup (I'm a woman) and don't plan

Here's my advice from someone who also interviewed for clinical programs last year. Wear what makes you comfortable. ABSOLUTELY be professional in your dress, but show ankles if you want, or don't if

Those of you who recommended Torrid for dress pants, ILY. Found a killer pair of great fitting ankle slacks and they were ON SALE for $20!! Win!

13 hours ago, doingmybest said:

I’ve seen discussions about facial piercings in other threads, but does anyone have any recommendations for ear piercings? I have several cartilage and lobe piercings and I would rather not remove them, but I’d be willing to if they come off as unprofessional.

I don't think they'd come across as unprofessional, especially if most of your ear piercings have simple studs or bars in. Based on the things I've seen, as long as you stick to minimal jewelry, or only one larger/flashier earring per ear you should be fine. If you have longer hair and wear it down, the people you meet may not see or notice them all anyway. I have several ear piercings as well and am planning to leave them all in! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ImAFreudNot said:

If you have a septum piercing, depending on the kind of jewelry you wear in it, you can just flip it up into your nose while you're there so you don't have to take it out! That's what another one of the coordinators in my lab does on days she's meeting with study participants.

Unfortunately I wear a closed, continuous clicker ring so I can't flip it, but I've had it for almost 10 years so I know it won't close on me!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, justacigar said:

Unfortunately I wear a closed, continuous clicker ring so I can't flip it, but I've had it for almost 10 years so I know it won't close on me!

If you want you could always just switch it out for a retainer for the interview season, that's what I did. I had a septum piercing for three years that closed overnight so I'd be careful about just pulling out the jewelry 

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, scared_and_a_freud said:

If you want you could always just switch it out for a retainer for the interview season, that's what I did. I had a septum piercing for three years that closed overnight so I'd be careful about just pulling out the jewelry 

Thanks for the heads up. I frequently take it out with no issues, so I should be okay. It's the only piercing I have that hasn't closed on me once I've taken out jewelry! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2020 at 1:00 PM, CatLady4Lyfe said:

Some of the best advice out there is to make sure things fit COMFORTABLY! You'll be spending the day walking around - you don't know how many flights of stairs you'll end up walking up (it was 3 once for me! - in my new dress shoes that I hadn't broken in yet - also, break in your shoes before you go), or how many buildings you'll have to visit (I also once walked over a mile in 90 degree weather at UGA for an interview. It's a beautiful campus with rolling hills, and I was so red and sweaty by the end of it). You want to be able to keep your full attention on the interview process, not trying to adjust the waistband on your pants or hoping your skirt isn't riding up. Try out the outfit before you go to make sure it functions as it should - spend an hour walking around (does the material breathe enough), sit down/stand up a bunch (does my shirt buckle between the buttons), etc. Also make sure to check the weather. My first in-person interview took a Texas girl to Michigan. I had never experienced a cold like that and I spent a lot of time trying to not look like I was freezing. A few different websites have suggested going up a size no matter what - just swallow your pride and do it. You want your clothes to fit well, but a lot of professional clothes are already form fitting (looking at you, pencil skirts), so any lumps or bumps are going to show through. You don't want your interviewers to remember your clothes, you want them to remember your amazing research ideas :) 

Thank you for the great advice! This Texas girl is headed to Michigan for her first interview next week and I think I am more nervous about the cold than the interview itself 😂 My plan is to layer and hope I adapt! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

What about a clinical interview that states "the interview attire is casual"? Is that code for something else since I'm seeing that the traditional attire is formal? I leave in two days and am just not sure what to wear! :S

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kcfab12 said:

What about a clinical interview that states "the interview attire is casual"? Is that code for something else since I'm seeing that the traditional attire is formal? I leave in two days and am just not sure what to wear! :S

For a clinical program, I would take that to mean business casual at the most casual.  So not a full suit necessarily, but I personally wouldn't go as far as to wear jeans.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm working on arranging an alternate visit day for one school, since they invited me to interview but I'm unable to attend the normal designated interview days. In this case, is expected attire business professional (suits), or less formal?

(This is a clinical program in the Southern USA.)

Edited by MiddleOfSomeCalibrations
Link to post
Share on other sites

Question: Will you guys bring a carry-on luggage, besides a backpack?  I'll travel from a pretty cold area (Toronto) to California. Would it be a good idea to put my suits and shoes in the luggage. And when I arrive, I can change clothes? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, MiddleOfSomeCalibrations said:

I'm working on arranging an alternate visit day for one school, since they invited me to interview but I'm unable to attend the normal designated interview days. In this case, is expected attire business professional (suits), or less formal?

(This is a clinical program in the Southern USA.)

I would like to know this too.  I am planning to tone things down a bit for alternate interviews I think.  Especially where I'm the only one coming out.  Blazer, pencil skirt and dress shirt.  

40 minutes ago, Alley said:

Question: Will you guys bring a carry-on luggage, besides a backpack?  I'll travel from a pretty cold area (Toronto) to California. Would it be a good idea to put my suits and shoes in the luggage. And when I arrive, I can change clothes? 

I'm bringing a carry on and yeah at worst you can change in the airport bathroom. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2020 at 12:16 PM, stumbleforward said:

This is just my two cents so take it or leave it: in my experience academics are chronically informal. Not to say that you should not dress up for interviews, but it actually might work to your advantage not to be in a full pant suit. Some other options: dress pants and a nice sweater, sweater dress/sweater tunic with tights and tall boots, blazer with more casual blouse, dress pants and nice blouse. Lots of places like Banana Republic and Jcrew are having amazing sales right now. I've also found that thrift stores/consignment shops have really really good selections of professional clothes because it's often high quality to begin with and people don't wear them too frequently before donating. Just remember that as much as they're judging you as a professional they're also judging you as a person they want to hang out with for the next 5-6 years, so my approach is to keep some personal style in there. Hope this helps, and good luck!

I am so glad to hear this. I was going to go look at pant suits this weekend, but we got hit with blizzard weather and everyplace was closed. My first interview is on Wednesday, so now I'm planning to just wear a blazer (that is definitely not a formal suit style blazer- too comfortable of a fit for that), some nicer dress pants I wear to see clients for the first time, and a comfortable solid color shirt under the blazer. I'm not very good at formal to begin with, so the idea of choosing and wearing a suit was stressing me out (I wasn't all that sad about the stores being closed, as a result). My main concession to being business formal is normally making sure my tattoos are covered, to be honest.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had my first interview this last weekend.

 

Took a carry on only, so that luggage couldn't get lost. Everyone except maybe one applicant was in a suit--couldn't tell you how that affected chances, just that that's how it was. Bring a more comfortable/slightly more casual outfit for any social events. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Louvre said:

Given the likelihood of winter flight delays, travel with a carryon bag and wear something presentable for your first event - you may not have a chance to change.

This.  I'm flying American, which charges for checked bags anyway 😕 But these are short trips, and I'd rather not chance losing my clothes and stuff in a bag that doesn't get to the airport with me. And everything can easily fit in a carry on, really, we're just talking about a change of clothes, a small make up bag, something to sleep in.... or maybe I just travel light :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, justacigar said:

Alright ladies, I am having a super tough time finding a suit/blazer and pants. It's starting to stress me out. Any advice for places to shop for curvier bods? 

I found some comfy dress pants at Old Navy that were roomie where I needed but not completely old lady-ish 😆 I’m pairing them with a light top and a jacket from Torrid. JCP also had some cute and classy  separates, and the prices weren’t totally awful. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, justacigar said:

Alright ladies, I am having a super tough time finding a suit/blazer and pants. It's starting to stress me out. Any advice for places to shop for curvier bods? 

Literally Lane Bryant’s winter sale saved my interview season! Not sure if they are still having one, but their clothes are great quality and look good on curves. Also, if you are like me and struggle with wide feet, Zappos has a great selection of wide width professional shoes. Hope this helps and you got this!! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, justacigar said:

Alright ladies, I am having a super tough time finding a suit/blazer and pants. It's starting to stress me out. Any advice for places to shop for curvier bods? 

I second the Old Navy recommendation. The Pixie ankle pants are stretchy and their Ponte-knit Blazers are as well. In my experience, blazers tend to look weirder on me because I have a larger bust, but I didn't hate the ones from Old Navy and I think they're only about $45.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Randi S said:

I found some comfy dress pants at Old Navy that were roomie where I needed but not completely old lady-ish 😆 I’m pairing them with a light top and a jacket from Torrid. JCP also had some cute and classy  separates, and the prices weren’t totally awful. 

 

7 minutes ago, mmmmcoffee said:

I second the Old Navy recommendation. The Pixie ankle pants are stretchy and their Ponte-knit Blazers are as well. In my experience, blazers tend to look weirder on me because I have a larger bust, but I didn't hate the ones from Old Navy and I think they're only about $45.

Thank you both so much! There is an Old Navy in the mall near me so I'll check it out this weekend. I don't normally shop there but hopefully I can at least find some comfy pants! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mmmmcoffee said:

I second the Old Navy recommendation. The Pixie ankle pants are stretchy and their Ponte-knit Blazers are as well. In my experience, blazers tend to look weirder on me because I have a larger bust, but I didn't hate the ones from Old Navy and I think they're only about $45.

While I love the Pixie pants, I wouldn't advise them for clinical/counseling interviews. They are great work pants, and I wear them on externship a lot (like right now), but they are not formal-looking enough for interviews. Granted, I am in the northeast where we wear suits for every externship interview as well. They're great business casual pants!

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, pranali said:

Literally Lane Bryant’s winter sale saved my interview season! Not sure if they are still having one, but their clothes are great quality and look good on curves. Also, if you are like me and struggle with wide feet, Zappos has a great selection of wide width professional shoes. Hope this helps and you got this!! 

Thank you! I haven't shopped at Lane Bryant either...might be my deep denial of the size of clothes I need LOL but I need to swallow my pride and buy comfortable clothes that fit!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, PsyDuck90 said:

While I love the Pixie pants, I wouldn't advise them for clinical/counseling interviews. They are great work pants, and I wear them on externship a lot (like right now), but they are not formal-looking enough for interviews. Granted, I am in the northeast where we wear suits for every externship interview as well. They're great business casual pants!

thanks that is helpful. It is hard to find the line of comfortable yet professional looking pants. My gripe with slacks is that they are usually so stiff!

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, PsyDuck90 said:

While I love the Pixie pants, I wouldn't advise them for clinical/counseling interviews. They are great work pants, and I wear them on externship a lot (like right now), but they are not formal-looking enough for interviews. Granted, I am in the northeast where we wear suits for every externship interview as well. They're great business casual pants!

I agree on this - I'm interviewing for developmental psychology programs and our interviews are traditionally more business casual/smart casual than clinical ones (at least at the programs I'm interviewing at from what current students have told me). I know Old Navy has some straight pants too that might look a little more formal for other concentrations' interviews :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, justacigar said:

thanks that is helpful. It is hard to find the line of comfortable yet professional looking pants. My gripe with slacks is that they are usually so stiff!

Maybe not in stores, unless you have a larger flagship store near you, but I have loved Torrid's separates for years and they are offered online.  They offer great basics that are comfortable and stylish, so you don't feel like you're wearing your grandma's pants :) And they have dressier styles - wider legs, higher waists, softer materials - so you aren't just wearing glorified khakis.  I know that from the outside Torrid looks like a Hot Topic, but they really have quite a bit to offer for curvier gals

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.