Jump to content

Fall 2020 Data Science/Analytics Master Applicant Thread


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Accepted to University of Pennsylvania's MSE in Data Science program today

@ilovepenguins I still havent got the interview. I got admit from the Statistics program, at Columbia but no news about the Data Science. The last interview according to gradcafe was in the first week

About 2 hours ago

On 3/22/2020 at 1:33 PM, az765 said:

Hello everyone, long time lurker, first time poster. I've been admitted to and am deciding between a few programs and am curious about the perspective of this group. How might you decide between the following programs: Harvard MSDS, MIT MBAn, NYU MS Data Science.

For more background, I completed undergrad in 2017 so will have a few years of work experience in tech (product analytics) under my belt by the time the fall semester begins. If I were to do the NYU program, I would likely relocate to NYC with my current company and start part time, which would be an advantage from a financial perspective (but not the ultimate deciding factor for me). My ultimate goal is to end up in a data science or quantitative research role at a consumer technology company.

More generally, has anyone else on this forum committed to any of these programs? What led to you choose it?

Hey @az765, congrats on your offers. I would personally suggest NYU's MS in Data Science. I like the fact that we get to study and learn from a renowned Data Scientist, and also that it was one of the first DS masters programs. I think MIT's MBAn is a great option as well, but I see myself leaning towards NYU because 1) you get minimum 2 years of education, and 2) connection with NY's finance industry. Take my opinion with a pinch of salt as I plan to work as a Quant Researcher at NY's finance firms. 

Do you know when you have to make the choices by for the three of the schools? I applied to all 3 and got waitlisted for two. Trying to see if/when I can break the line. Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2020 at 9:01 AM, artoisban said:

Hey @az765, congrats on your offers. I would personally suggest NYU's MS in Data Science. I like the fact that we get to study and learn from a renowned Data Scientist, and also that it was one of the first DS masters programs. I think MIT's MBAn is a great option as well, but I see myself leaning towards NYU because 1) you get minimum 2 years of education, and 2) connection with NY's finance industry. Take my opinion with a pinch of salt as I plan to work as a Quant Researcher at NY's finance firms. 

Do you know when you have to make the choices by for the three of the schools? I applied to all 3 and got waitlisted for two. Trying to see if/when I can break the line. Thanks!

Thanks! Harvard and MIT MBAn both requested responses by mid April, and NYU's deadline varies depending on offer receipt date, but is early April for the first wave of admits.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2020 at 1:56 PM, hoops77w said:

I am deciding between Northwestern Analytics (MSiA) and Columbia Data Science; this decision will be tough to make. Appreciate any perspectives or thoughts you may have. Thanks! 

I picked NU MSiA. Good luck to all! Hope you make the best decision. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey I have been accepted to Duke MIDS. I have heard very mixed reviews about the program. Can any current student/ alumni let me know their thoughts on the program? Or anyone else considering the MIDS program here?

Link to post
Share on other sites

@su1234 After a quick Linkedin search, looks like their alumni/current students are doing pretty well. I did not see any FAANG companies though but can see IBM, McKinsey, and a few other big names. You should definitely reach out to them to learn more.

I have also heard good words about them. Even though the program is relatively new (first class 2018) but they offer lots of flexibility from their curriculum. Overall good ranking (#12 statistics, #23 engineering). Are you considering Duke with other offers?

Edited by whiteshark243
post too soon
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, whiteshark243 said:

@su1234 After a quick Linkedin search, looks like their alumni/current students are doing pretty well. I did not see any FAANG companies though but can see IBM, McKinsey, and a few other big names. You should definitely reach out to them to learn more.

I have also heard good words about them. Even though the program is relatively new (first class 2018) but they offer lots of flexibility from their curriculum. Overall good ranking (#12 statistics, #23 engineering). Are you considering Duke with other offers?

Thank you for letting me know your thoughts. I am very strongly considering Duke. Infact one of the current students just told me yesterday that they got a job at the World Bank. Given that they're the first class graduating, the program already has some pretty impressive stats. Also, last summer students did intern at Facebook (FAANG), wells fargo, blackrock and the likes. However, I am more interested in public policy and hence looking for a little more information on the kind of jobs I can expect after graduating.

Along with Duke, I am considering Georgetown DSPP and NYU Applied Stats for Social Science Research. I also did get accepted to UChicago MPP (Had applied to MSCAPP but got accepted to MPP) but since I am an international student I am not considering MPP (not STEM eligible).


What universities are you considering?

Edited by su1234
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, su1234 said:

Thank you for letting me know your thoughts. I am very strongly considering Duke. Infact one of the current students just told me yesterday that they got a job at the World Bank. Given that they're the first class graduating, the program already has some pretty impressive stats. Also, last summer students did intern at Facebook (FAANG), wells fargo, blackrock and the likes. However, I am more interested in public policy and hence looking for a little more information on the kind of jobs I can expect after graduating.

Along with Duke, I am considering Georgetown DSPP and NYU Applied Stats for Social Science Research. I also did get accepted to UChicago MPP (Had applied to MSCAPP but got accepted to MPP) but since I am an international student I am not considering MPP (not STEM eligible).


What universities are you considering?

Okay... knowing you are international student changes things... Assuming you care only about career outcomes and you got the same amount of money, I would do Duke. I have Georgetown DSPP pending grads on LinkedIn asking for help getting jobs because McCourt has always struggled with getting people good jobs (not career services fault... its lack of emphasis in the culture). + by virtue of being an international student, you definitely want STEM over non-STEM. 

Duke has a stronger background and resources for career placement in the data space. 

Edited by GradSchoolGrad
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2020 at 9:49 PM, az765 said:

Thanks! Harvard and MIT MBAn both requested responses by mid April, and NYU's deadline varies depending on offer receipt date, but is early April for the first wave of admits.

With regards to the MIT MBAn, I think you would also be able to take classes at Harvard. So you're getting the best of both worlds (?)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Might end up having to choose between Northwestern MSiA and Columbia Data Science - good problem to have but I'm struggling! Does anyone have any input? Concerned primarily with short-term and long-term career outcomes. Should also mention that I'd like to work on the west coast.

Edited by happypanda521
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2020 at 12:30 PM, doingthingshere said:

well it's official .... I'm going to NYU Data Science! Would love to connect with anyone who has also decided!

@doingthingshere I accepted it too - see you there :) was great to get the email from the CDS saying that they fully intend to have classes in place come Fall 2020. that was all i needed, really

Edited by Do_EE
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2020 at 9:28 AM, mobytheggongnyang said:

Hi all, I just got an offer from NW's MSiA program yesterday. This may be the 2nd or 3rd wave they sent out?  Super excited as this is a good program.

I have not yet made my mind between few of the programs. Would you guys enlighten me with your thoughts on the options below? Thank you!

@Scholarship, @swcb, @S_Ashleigh, @Haoyun, @superbored (tagging ppl who seemed to have applied to MSiA program)

1) Northwestern MSiA vs NYU DS

2) Northwestern MSiA vs U Chicago Master of Business Analytics 

Very late reply here.

I got off NYU's waitlist after I had accepted Northwestern already. Even before I got into NYU I accepted the fact that I would be happy at Northwestern's program over NYU's.

In terms of academics and faculty, NYU seems to be top tier. But the program design at Northwestern seems to make up for the lack of a specialized *Center for Data Science* that NYU has. Northwestern has a smaller cohort, and seems to be more professionally-focused, whereas NYU seems a bit more academic. Also, financially, being in Chicago for 1.5 years and having the opportunity to make money in a summer internship works out better than being in NYC for 2 years.

If I hadn't gotten into Northwestern, I would have been very happy to accept NYU as a close second choice. Good luck with your decision!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, happypanda521 said:

Might end up having to choose between Northwestern MSiA and Columbia Data Science - good problem to have but I'm struggling! Does anyone have any input? Concerned primarily with short-term and long-term career outcomes. Should also mention that I'd like to work on the west coast.

Hi 

I ended up withdrawing my application from Columbia after I accepted my offer from Northwestern - so I may be biased with my answer:

I think the big advantage of Columbia is its location in NYC. If you wanted to land a job there, Columbia may be the better choice. I do not know about how their faculty or professional outcomes compare to Northwestern.

While I was making my decision, I was able to talk with a few current students at Northwestern who obtained internships in San Fransisco and Seattle. I *think* some of their faculty for the data engineering / cloud-based courses are from SF area as well - but I'm not certain if that will be the case in the upcoming year. My point is, despite being a small program in the midwest, they try to build and maintain ties to the west coast. Overall, I was very impressed with Northwestern's career outcomes. Columbia's may be just as good - but I don't have the information to back that up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, GradSchoolGrad said:

Okay... knowing you are international student changes things... Assuming you care only about career outcomes and you got the same amount of money, I would do Duke. I have Georgetown DSPP pending grads on LinkedIn asking for help getting jobs because McCourt has always struggled with getting people good jobs (not career services fault... its lack of emphasis in the culture). + by virtue of being an international student, you definitely want STEM over non-STEM. 

Duke has a stronger background and resources for career placement in the data space. 

Thank you soo much @GradSchoolGrad!! This really helps. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm trying to decide between NYU and UCL's MS in Machine Learning. The benefits for NYU seem to mainly be the industry connections. They consistently hold events with companies around NYC, and the students seem to all end up with good internships/full time positions. The courses at NYU also look pretty good, with decent flexibility and solid instructors. I also like that you can do part time internships for course credits. 

The case for UCL is that the courses are taught by renowned faculty within CS and the Gatsby Computational Neuroscience Unit, and DeepMind researchers. It seems like better prep for a PhD, but at the same time, it seems tougher to land a full time position back in the states. I could continue to work in London for a few years, but Data Scientists/Machine Learning Engineers don't seem to be compensated as well as in SF/NYC, and UCL graduates end up more with start-ups than large companies (though not all NYU grads end up with big names either).

Does my assessment seem correct? UCL might be more flexible in terms of career trajectory (as in not being pigeonholed into Data Science), while NYU may have more financial security in the short term. I'm leaning towards UCL given how cool it would be to live in London, and wanting to go against my myopic tendencies when it comes to a salary.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys, I have been admitted to Duke MIDS and the Data Science program at the University of Rochester. And I'm still waiting for some news from Columbia and UPenn. If I don't hear back from anyone of them, I will likely go with Duke's MIDS because program looks really promising despite its relatively recent establishment.

One thing that bothers me however, is how much more expensive the tuition at Duke is in comparison to other schools. I mean Columbia is notoriously known for being a cash cow and charging over 60k for the program, but Duke's 100k tuition (scholarship included) is just on a different level 😂. I'm from Canada so I'm not entirely familiar with the cost structure here in the States. Is there a reason that justifies this difference? 

And does anyone know if it's possible and how to ask for more scholarship money? 

Thanks in advance!

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, tangc2 said:

Hey guys, I have been admitted to Duke MIDS and the Data Science program at the University of Rochester. And I'm still waiting for some news from Columbia and UPenn. If I don't hear back from anyone of them, I will likely go with Duke's MIDS because program looks really promising despite its relatively recent establishment.

One thing that bothers me however, is how much more expensive the tuition at Duke is in comparison to other schools. I mean Columbia is notoriously known for being a cash cow and charging over 60k for the program, but Duke's 100k tuition (scholarship included) is just on a different level 😂. I'm from Canada so I'm not entirely familiar with the cost structure here in the States. Is there a reason that justifies this difference? 

And does anyone know if it's possible and how to ask for more scholarship money? 

Thanks in advance!

$50k/year is basically the tuition at any US private school - Columbia is only significantly cheaper because it's 3 semesters instead of 4.  Master's programs are where schools make a lot of their money.  Essentially, they have to pay PhD students, and there are lots of sources of financial aid to make it affordable for undergraduates, but master's students are left out of most aid.  If you plan on returning to Canada, I'd be pretty concerned about the ability to pay back over $100k USD in loans (plus living expenses).  I doubt the school has much scholarship money but it never hurts to ask, especially if you have another offer like Rochester that might be more affordable?  $150kUSD in loans would result in a monthly payment of like $1800USD/$2500CAD/month.  Is there any possibility to attend a much more affordable Canadian program for your master's?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tangc2 said:

Hey guys, I have been admitted to Duke MIDS and the Data Science program at the University of Rochester. And I'm still waiting for some news from Columbia and UPenn. If I don't hear back from anyone of them, I will likely go with Duke's MIDS because program looks really promising despite its relatively recent establishment.

One thing that bothers me however, is how much more expensive the tuition at Duke is in comparison to other schools. I mean Columbia is notoriously known for being a cash cow and charging over 60k for the program, but Duke's 100k tuition (scholarship included) is just on a different level 😂. I'm from Canada so I'm not entirely familiar with the cost structure here in the States. Is there a reason that justifies this difference? 

And does anyone know if it's possible and how to ask for more scholarship money? 

Thanks in advance!

I was also admitted and will not attend due to cost. Masters programs are generally expensive but Duke's is on the high side in terms of tuition.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.