Fall 2020 Data Science/Analytics Master Applicant Thread

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Accepted to University of Pennsylvania's MSE in Data Science program today

@ilovepenguins I still havent got the interview. I got admit from the Statistics program, at Columbia but no news about the Data Science. The last interview according to gradcafe was in the first week

About 2 hours ago

Hi all, I was recently accepted to UC Berkeley's MA in Statistics and Columbia's Masters in Data Science. I was wondering which of the programs is generally more prestigious and would be a better choice to accept? I am interested in gaining more knowledge in statistics and data science. I'm not sure if I want to work as a data scientist or as an entrepreneur.

@streamblazer Congrats! Mind if I ask when you got your interview request? 

In response to your question, I'm personally a bit skeptical of UC Berkeley's program given that it's only a year long. A quality program probably should be at least 3 semesters. However, alumni of UC Berkeley's program seem to go to good places, so it's not a poor program. I personally would choose Columbia out of the two options given though.

Edited by carolbells
4 hours ago, david0217 said:

Any one has any suggestions between Columbia's DS program and NYU's DS program? Having a very hard time to make a decision now, and Columbia is asking us to make a decision by Mar. 25th....

How much is to be paid by Mar 25??? When did you interview??

Had I been in your place I would go for NYU DS as it is a 2 year course (Columbia is 1.5 year)  Nyu also offers specialization track and some amazing capstone with a lot of flexibility.   

13 minutes ago, ilovepenguins said:

Had I been in your place I would go for NYU DS as it is a 2 year course (Columbia is 1.5 year)  Nyu also offers specialization track and some amazing capstone with a lot of flexibility.   

@david0217 I agree with ilovepenguins.

Also, 7 days to make a decision?!? That's such a red flag to me.

28 minutes ago, ilovepenguins said:

The deposit for Columbia is $2,500. I interviewed March 3rd ish. I am still battling between Columbia and NYU since I heard that the last cohort of NYU DS does not have a very good placement for internships and jobs..... (although I maybe wrong and still need more data)

14 minutes ago, carolbells said:

@david0217 I agree with ilovepenguins.

Also, 7 days to make a decision?!? That's such a red flag to me.

I have heard that they will have a second round of acceptance following the first round acceptance deadline ends on the 25th. I think that is why they are only giving us one week to respond... Really anxious now:(

@david0217 My strategy would be to try to look NYU alums on Linkedin and see what they're up to now. That might help. 

When I did that I find that NYU alum seems to get more brand-name company jobs. I have also heard of @Guest123's note that Columbia seems to be a cash cow program. The fact that you have to put down such a large deposit and made a decision so quickly  for Columbia raises red flags for me. NYU's only asking for a $250 deposit and gives you a month to decide.

Edit: grammar

Edited by carolbells
3 minutes ago, carolbells said:

@david0217 My strategy would be to try to look NYU alums on Linkedin and see what they're up to now. That might help. 

When I did that I find that NYU alum seems to get more brand-name company jobs. I have also heard of @Guest123's note that Columbia seems to be a cash cow program. The fact that you have to put down such a large deposit and made a decision so quickly  for Columbia raises red flags for me. NYU's only asking for a $250 deposit and gives you a month to decide.

Edit: grammar

@carolbells Thank you so much for your suggestions!