Jump to content

Fall 2020 Psychology Acceptances


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

School: Columbia University  Type of Program: Counseling Psychology PhD Acceptance Date: 2/14/20 POI: BV   Dreams. Come. True. 

I wouldn't worry too much about "hoarding" offers. It's your life, not anyone else's, so don't make any choices until you are ready. Obviously, if you know that you won't accept an offer, its best to

School: Eastern Michigan University Program: Clinical Psychology  Acceptance Date and Notification: March 6th. Email from the DCT -- Accepted off the waitlist.   I truly felt that

Hi everyone! Do you think it's foolish to accept an offer before receiving an official letter (with funding information)? This school is my top choice, and has always been able to fund their students. I have received another offer from a different school, which is why I'm anxious to accept sooner rather than later (I don't want to be holding onto a spot that someone else would gladly take). 

Edited by clinicalpsych2020
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, clinicalpsych2020 said:

Hi everyone! Do you think it's foolish to accept an offer before receiving an official letter (with funding information)? This school is my top choice, and has always been able to fund their students. I have received another offer from a different school, which is why I'm anxious to accept sooner rather than later (I don't want to be holding onto a spot that someone else would gladly take). 

Hi, it is totally fine to accept a offer if you did your research on the previous cohorts funding offers and it’s practically guaranteed (but they won’t say it)
 

I was in the same situation as you, I got into my top choice and then got accepted to my #2 and #11 choices. I thought about it and since all were full funded would I even consider the other programs if they offered higher stipends. I decided no and made sure to message the other programs I was pulling my application. The caveat for my situation is my top choice is  a big Division 1 R1 program and all students I talked to had full funding and no issues with assistantships
 

I know this is a big conversation on these forums, but my personal opinion is you know more times than not your preferred choice. Is an extra 200 a month in stipend gonna change your mind? If it’s no, then finalize the decision and reject your other offers. I feel this way because our research communities are small and I can make a poor impression on my advisor or the other POIs if I hold my offer for a month or two. Also, I believe faculty talk across programs and so they could know that they both sent offers to the same person. Overall, take some time but try not to wait to April. I know people have outlier experiences but in general don’t hold offers for months.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, clinicalpsych2020 said:

Hi everyone! Do you think it's foolish to accept an offer before receiving an official letter (with funding information)? This school is my top choice, and has always been able to fund their students. I have received another offer from a different school, which is why I'm anxious to accept sooner rather than later (I don't want to be holding onto a spot that someone else would gladly take). 

Personally, I think you are completely acceptable to wait until you have funding information. It's awesome that they've always been able to fund their students, but without that offer letter in hand, you don't know---also, another school I interviewed at told us specifically NOT to accept until we heard about funding. After all, they said, if you accept, the university assumes you don't need any additional encouragement to go there---so it could affect what fellowships and funding you're eligible for. 

 

I know everyone has big concerns about leaving a bad impression, but this is a large financial and personal decision. Schools and PIs should be able to respect that. There's a reason you have until April 15th---obviously don't wait until then if you already know, but that date isn't a "only jerks respond in April" kind of thing. It's to protect you in circumstances like this. 

 

Has the school offered you any idea on when you might know about funding?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, andhowdoesthatmakeyoufeel said:

Personally, I think you are completely acceptable to wait until you have funding information. It's awesome that they've always been able to fund their students, but without that offer letter in hand, you don't know---also, another school I interviewed at told us specifically NOT to accept until we heard about funding. After all, they said, if you accept, the university assumes you don't need any additional encouragement to go there---so it could affect what fellowships and funding you're eligible for. 

 

I know everyone has big concerns about leaving a bad impression, but this is a large financial and personal decision. Schools and PIs should be able to respect that. There's a reason you have until April 15th---obviously don't wait until then if you already know, but that date isn't a "only jerks respond in April" kind of thing. It's to protect you in circumstances like this. 

 

Has the school offered you any idea on when you might know about funding?

They said I would here about funding soon, but did not give me a specific date. This is an R1 university and they often have different types of funding lines (RA, TA, fellowship), so I'm guessing it has to do more with where my funding will be coming from rather then if I get funding. As a note, their website specifically mentions that offers are not made if they do not have funding...

While I'm still nervous, I feel like it makes the most sense to reject the offer from the other university and then maybe just wait to officially accept the offer from this one? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2020 at 7:44 PM, whitmanic said:

School: Teachers College at Columbia

Type of Program: Clinical Psychology

Acceptance Date: 2/20/2020

 

School: Boston University

Type of Program: Clinical Psychology

Acceptance date: 2/21/2020

Congrats on BU! Can you DM me the POI initials? Thanks and congrats!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2020 at 8:13 AM, hermm said:

School: Sam Houston State University

Type of Program: Clinical Psychology, PhD

Acceptance Date: 2/11/2020

POI: JA

I was waiting to post until I heard back from the rest of my programs, but I have officially accepted the position. Super excited, if anyone else will be attending Sam next year and wants to connect before the fall feel free to DM me!

Welcome to Sam! I'm a current clinical masters student there if you want to connect!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2020 at 7:54 AM, joanneprada said:

School: University of Texas at Austin

Program: Counseling Psychology 

Acceptance Date and Notification: February 14th. Phone call from POI.

I plan on accepting, just waiting to hear back for more details about funding! 

 

  •  

Confratulations!! Would you mind sharing your GRE scores? UT Austin is my dream school, I am applying to programs this upcoming fall.

Link to post
Share on other sites

School: Eastern Michigan University

Program: Clinical Psychology 

Acceptance Date and Notification: March 6th. Email from the DCT -- Accepted off the waitlist.

 

I truly felt that I found my 'fit' here and and I am so incredibly excited. Waiting to hear from one other school but I am pretty set on EMU. Go Eagles!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Musicalowl said:

School: Eastern Michigan University

Program: Clinical Psychology 

Acceptance Date and Notification: March 6th. Email from the DCT -- Accepted off the waitlist.

 

I truly felt that I found my 'fit' here and and I am so incredibly excited. Waiting to hear from one other school but I am pretty set on EMU. Go Eagles!!

Congratulations on finding your perfect fit! Your excitement is inspiring :):)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.