Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Indecisive Poet said:

@poetryislit @TiredStressed @snorkles @merry night wanderer Thank you all so much for your empathy/kind words/perspectives.

What I will say for now is that we did leave other options open – I applied to five more programs that I believe I could be equally happy/successful at (and some others that I think it would be really tough to give up Chicago for). My partner has applied to programs that match those locations and we haven't heard back from any of them yet. So there is still hope! I think that more than anything, the news yesterday made me realize that all of those options could end up falling through; that I could end up faced with a choice between leaving my partner or giving up Chicago to go to, say, Boston College or Fordham (not that there is anything wrong with those programs – but I just don't see how it would make sense from a career perspective). There really isn't reason yet to think that this will happen, though – I guess I'm just wondering what the odds are of being accepted to more than one truly amazing program.

@TiredStressed – he didn't apply to any other programs in the Chicago area except for Notre Dame. He interviewed there and it seemed to go well, so that may be an option, but it's far from his first choice. I applied to a whopping four programs in the Chicago area alone because I thought if either of us would get into Chicago, it would be him (he is objectively the stronger applicant).

Anyway, here we are... we'll see what happens, and I hope to be able to report good news at the end of the application cycle.

Ugh, I'm sorry. I'm on the same boat with my partner. It's been putting so much stress on the relationship. Compromise sucks. I hope you guys can stay close together. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Indecisive Poet said:

In at Chicago and out at Northwestern here too.

I am grateful for Chicago's offer (truly beyond my wildest dreams) but I will have to turn it down because my partner was not admitted. It's a real blow, if I'm honest.

Omg! Congrats on Chicago!!! Veryyyy tough spot to be in. I did 6 years long distance before I married my husband. It's super hard. You have a tough choice to make, but at the end of the day, you need to be happy and proud of what you choose to do. Your career trajectory is important. So is your mental/emotional wellness wherever you go. Good luck! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, EM51413 said:

Got in Chicago Comp Lit! Was very sad when I didn't get the interview email, but what a plot twist!

Wow! That’s fantastic, congrats! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EM51413 said:

Got in Chicago Comp Lit! Was very sad when I didn't get the interview email, but what a plot twist!

As a fellow Comp Litter, Congrats! Perhaps this is a hopeful story for others about other programs too?!

Edited by Straparlare

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 8:02 AM, Lblack said:

I was accepted to UCR’s English (Literature) PhD program yesterday! I only applied to three schools, so this is a huge relief. I got a phone call from the Director of Graduate Admissions. I’m so happy to have found out so early. 

Congrats!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

18 hours ago, EM51413 said:

Got in Chicago Comp Lit! Was very sad when I didn't get the interview email, but what a plot twist!

Awesome! Congratulations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wimsey said:

Got a very nice phone call from the Penn State DGS! :) 

Nice! Congrats!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just about to go to bed and I got into UC Berkeley 😭

EDIT: Just noticed the line: "The Berkeley English Department has nominated you for a prestigious university fellowship; as soon as we know the outcome of that nomination, I will be back in touch to clarify the offer." WHAT??! WHAT!

Edited by meghan_sparkle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Wimsey said:

Got a very nice phone call from the Penn State DGS! :) 

Congrats! Did you apply to their PhD or MA program? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, karamazov said:

Congrats! Did you apply to their PhD or MA program? 

Thanks! I applied to the MA, with the expectation that I would progress to the PhD. On the website, they instructed BA-only applicants to apply to the MA.

 

8 minutes ago, meghan_sparkle said:

I was just about to go to bed and I got into UC Berkeley 😭

Congrats! You must have a stellar application. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Wimsey said:

Thanks! I applied to the MA, with the expectation that I would progress to the PhD. On the website, they instructed BA-only applicants to apply to the MA.

Okay, nice! I also applied to the MA. In past years they've sent out acceptances over a number of weeks so I'm going to try not to lose all hope. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, karamazov said:

Okay, nice! I also applied to the MA. In past years they've sent out acceptances over a number of weeks so I'm going to try not to lose all hope. 

Don't lose hope! The DGS wanted to tell me that I was eligible for a special fellowship, so it's possible that he contacted me separately from other accepted students.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wimsey said:

Don't lose hope! The DGS wanted to tell me that I was eligible for a special fellowship, so it's possible that he contacted me separately from other accepted students.

Okay, awesome! Thanks for the info! And congrats again! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Waitlisted for Northwestern MFA/MA a couple days ago, makes me hopeful but on edge!

Congrats to those who got into UChicago, I would love to go there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, meghan_sparkle said:

I was just about to go to bed and I got into UC Berkeley 😭

EDIT: Just noticed the line: "The Berkeley English Department has nominated you for a prestigious university fellowship; as soon as we know the outcome of that nomination, I will be back in touch to clarify the offer." WHAT??! WHAT!

Congratulations! Berkeley, Chicago, and an interview at Columbia – you are having a killer season!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Indecisive Poet said:

Congratulations! Berkeley, Chicago, and an interview at Columbia – you are having a killer season!

Thank you! Honestly, I was not 100% about the fit at either Berkeley or Chicago and expected to be rejected from both so this is an insane surprise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was also admitted to Berkeley and was wondering if and how to reply to an admission offer email? It seems to be a generic email from the DGS with the specifics of my package/offer, and information about visit days (with a separate RSVP form). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, inchoate-eyes said:

I was also admitted to Berkeley and was wondering if and how to reply to an admission offer email? It seems to be a generic email from the DGS with the specifics of my package/offer, and information about visit days (with a separate RSVP form). 

I didn't apply to Berkeley but I've been wondering about this too. I don't know what proper etiquette is re responding to offer emails that are coming from a DGS and are seemingly generic, as opposed to very personalized email notes from POIs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Indecisive Poet said:

I didn't apply to Berkeley but I've been wondering about this too. I don't know what proper etiquette is re responding to offer emails that are coming from a DGS and are seemingly generic, as opposed to very personalized email notes from POIs.

I ended up giving a quick thank you, conveyed my appreciation, and then said i planned to attend the visit days and that i'd put my info in the rsvp form.  

Update: Got a super kind reply from the DGS that was also highly personalized. Highly recommend sending thank yous from now on!

Edited by inchoate-eyes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.