Jump to content

Clinical Psychology Programs Still Taking Applications?


Recommended Posts

So this cycle has not been to kind to me. I also only applied to 7 schools due to my budget. Are there any programs whose deadline to apply hasn’t passed yet? I vaguely remember encountering one program that had a deadline of January 31. Any that come to mind? PhD or PsyD Clinical Psych suggestions welcome. I’d be so appreciate of any leads aside from combing through the APA site. Thank you!

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's highly unlikely that you'll find any other Clinical programs whose deadlines aren't December 1st or even earlier. If this cycle wasn't kind to you (often it takes several rounds) why don't you take the year to improve your application or gain more experience? Applying to places that are the best fit for your goals and interests will give you the best chance at admission and satisfaction once you're in the program. Is there a reason you're so insistent on trying to get in on this round?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Katie B said:

It's highly unlikely that you'll find any other Clinical programs whose deadlines aren't December 1st or even earlier. If this cycle wasn't kind to you (often it takes several rounds) why don't you take the year to improve your application or gain more experience? Applying to places that are the best fit for your goals and interests will give you the best chance at admission and satisfaction once you're in the program. Is there a reason you're so insistent on trying to get in on this round?

100% agree with this - don't force it to happen this round. It's okay to take a step back and re-evaluate how to strengthen your application for next year. Also, fit is so crucial for clinical psychology programs. The likelihood that you would find another program that fits this late in the round is low. This is my second round, I might have to do a third round. It's just the nature of the competitive process. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If waiting another round isn't feasible (financial reasons, opportunity cost, etc) another option might be applying for some master's programs in clinical psychology or counseling in your area.  This would probably be more relevant if you are hoping to work in the field as a practitioner instead of an academic career.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, cxh1054 said:

If waiting another round isn't feasible (financial reasons, opportunity cost, etc) another option might be applying for some master's programs in clinical psychology or counseling in your area.  This would probably be more relevant if you are hoping to work in the field as a practitioner instead of an academic career.  

This is another great option. If therapy is your primary goal, a master's level clinical license is another way to achieve that goal. However, as a side note, a masters in clinical psychology isn't a license-eligible degree. Only mental health counseling, social work, and marriage and family therapy (MFT) masters degrees lead to licensure. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PsyDuck90 said:

This is another great option. If therapy is your primary goal, a master's level clinical license is another way to achieve that goal. However, as a side note, a masters in clinical psychology isn't a license-eligible degree. Only mental health counseling, social work, and marriage and family therapy (MFT) masters degrees lead to licensure. 

That's a really good point, I forget that master's clinical psych isn't license eligible (in some states you might be eligible for LPC or the equivalent though).  In Pennsylvania, for instance, you *can* be a school psychologist with the right master's degree as well.  Personally, I have a master's degree in student affairs and counseling from a CACREP program, got the NCC certification, and have been working as a therapist at a college since.  I am going back because of academic and research interests I would rather focus on.  If being a practitioner is your main goal, I would highly recommend looking into a master's degree in clinical mental health counseling or the like. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

James Madison University is a PsyD program in "combined" Clinical, Counseling, and School Psychology. I interviewed with them last year. It is definitely more Clinical-Counseling focused. Their deadline is Feb 1st! They are APA accredited. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, PsyDuck90 said:

This is another great option. If therapy is your primary goal, a master's level clinical license is another way to achieve that goal. However, as a side note, a masters in clinical psychology isn't a license-eligible degree. Only mental health counseling, social work, and marriage and family therapy (MFT) masters degrees lead to licensure. 

Not true - I went to a clinical psychology MS program and my program (San Jose State University) prepared us for MFT licensure.  CSU Fullerton also has a clinical psychology master's program that leads to licensure. 

Edited by justacigar
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, justacigar said:

Not true - I went to a clinical psychology MS program and my program (San Jose State University) prepared us for MFT licensure.  CSU Fullerton also has a clinical psychology master's program that leads to licensure. 

This issue, I believe, varies from state to state. If you do a masters program (or doctorate), check to make sure the program is accredited and will allow you to sit for licensing exams in most states, otherwise you won’t be able to be officially licensable as a healthcare provider. 
 

You could always practice as a “life coach,” but that’s a whole other ethical can of worms. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, justacigar said:

Not true - I went to a clinical psychology MS program and my program (San Jose State University) prepared us for MFT licensure.  CSU Fullerton also has a clinical psychology master's program that leads to licensure. 

Interesting, I guess California is an exception. Most clinical psych masters around the country are not license eligible since psychology does not have a masters level license option (except for certain people who were grandfathered in in some states, and there is some talk of the APA getting into the game). Social work, Marriage and Family Therapy, school psychology, and counseling are the specific fields that oversee masters level clinicians, so those are the good bets depending on what you wang to do. However, it's important to always do due diligence when choosing a program, but it's good to know that some clinical psych programs are license eligible. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Aaaaaaaaaaaa11111 said:

This issue, I believe, varies from state to state. If you do a masters program (or doctorate), check to make sure the program is accredited and will allow you to sit for licensing exams in most states, otherwise you won’t be able to be officially licensable as a healthcare provider. 
 

You could always practice as a “life coach,” but that’s a whole other ethical can of worms. 

 

12 hours ago, PsyDuck90 said:

Interesting, I guess California is an exception. Most clinical psych masters around the country are not license eligible since psychology does not have a masters level license option (except for certain people who were grandfathered in in some states, and there is some talk of the APA getting into the game). Social work, Marriage and Family Therapy, school psychology, and counseling are the specific fields that oversee masters level clinicians, so those are the good bets depending on what you wang to do. However, it's important to always do due diligence when choosing a program, but it's good to know that some clinical psych programs are license eligible. 

I never realized other programs were any different! Very interesting. But yes, information about what the degree preps you for should be easily available (you would hope)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep your eyes open around March or April.

It is possible that some newer programs (especially those in the Deep South) will solicit a second round of applications then.  

I believe Mississippi State did this last year.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the advice all. :) I am leaning toward just trying again next year. It's not my first try (third) and this round was a s**t show for whatever reason. I have an MA already and will just continue working in the field. I have a newish job which has been great experience.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.