neuroticneuro6

2021 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admissions Results

I know it's early but...is it ever really too early to start a community so we can all help each other out with this crazy process?  I don't know about all of you, but applying this year is all I can think about. 

11 hours ago, neuroticneuro6 said:

I know it's early but...is it ever really too early to start a community so we can all help each other out with this crazy process?  I don't know about all of you, but applying this year is all I can think about. 

Same. Thanks for starting this thread. 

How many schools are you all applying to? I've heard so many horror stories of people not being accepted places that I have a list of 17 schools right now. I am trying to narrow it down (mostly for cost's sake, as the app fees add up to $1600), but I don't want to undershoot it 😥

My research interests are incredibly specific and very niche so I don't imagine myself applying to more than a handful of programs. I actually only have 2 in mind at the moment.

I applied this round (for 2020 fall admissions) good luck you guys! Also just want to throw this out there - Drexel's College of Medicine is a good program that is often overlooked! Check it out if you want to and again good luck to you all! ❤️

On 2/12/2020 at 2:29 PM, neuroticneuro6 said:

How many schools are you all applying to? I've heard so many horror stories of people not being accepted places that I have a list of 17 schools right now. I am trying to narrow it down (mostly for cost's sake, as the app fees add up to $1600), but I don't want to undershoot it 😥

The trick is to have an appropriate range of schools. I applied to 10 and it ended up being too many. Unless you have the money to spend, don't bother. Just make sure every school you apply to has at least 3 faculty you'd be excited to work with. 

On 2/12/2020 at 2:29 PM, neuroticneuro6 said:

I also applied this round (Fall 2020), still waiting for a few programs to reject me. I've heard many programs have double numbers of applicants since they dropped the GRE requirement. 

I applied to 12, maybe too many for a domestic applicant but not enough for an international student.

On 2/13/2020 at 11:08 PM, swtster said:

My research interests are incredibly specific and very niche so I don't imagine myself applying to more than a handful of programs. I actually only have 2 in mind at the moment.

Do you mind me asking how you found such a niche topic of interest? I’m only just finishing my undergraduate (i graduate may 2021) and I have specific things I’d like to study, but it’s a lot less narrowed down than a lot of other people.  

11 hours ago, neuroticneuro6 said:

Do you mind me asking how you found such a niche topic of interest? I’m only just finishing my undergraduate (i graduate may 2021) and I have specific things I’d like to study, but it’s a lot less narrowed down than a lot of other people.  

Well, it's a bit unfair because I have a professional degree and postdoctoral training. I've been working for a few years already and it was a culmination of my background and my experiences that lead me to my current research interests. 

However, maybe I can give you some insight into how to narrow down your choices. I decided on my current labs of interests for the following reasons:

1) I want to do translational research that can be applied clinically. 

2) I prefer to work with human data as opposed to animal models. 

3) I'm comfortable with various imaging techniques and I want to utilize imaging in my research. 

4) I'm pretty forward thinking and I believe that computational and coding abilities are good skills to have so I want to be able to incorporate computational models in my research, if possible. 

5) My ultimate goal is to work in a research hospital where I can work as a research-clinician. So, I want to be in a lab with current research-clinicians to get a better sense of what that would be like for myself in the future. 

So, to summarize:

1. Think about what research modality you're comfortable with. For me, I'm not comfortable working with animal models. 

2. What skills do you have that you feel would help you in your intended research? Will you be able to utilize those skills in the labs you choose? 

3. What skills do you hope to gain through your research? Which program will provide you the best mentor to help you develop those skills? 

4. What question(s) do you intend to answer with your research and does your chosen lab have the resources to help you find those answers? 

5. What do you want to do in the end with your degree? Do the faculty in your chosen program reflect what you hope to achieve professionally? 

On 2/16/2020 at 9:54 AM, swtster said:

Well, it's a bit unfair because I have a professional degree and postdoctoral training. I've been working for a few years already and it was a culmination of my background and my experiences that lead me to my current research interests. 

However, maybe I can give you some insight into how to narrow down your choices. I decided on my current labs of interests for the following reasons:

1) I want to do translational research that can be applied clinically. 

2) I prefer to work with human data as opposed to animal models. 

3) I'm comfortable with various imaging techniques and I want to utilize imaging in my research. 

4) I'm pretty forward thinking and I believe that computational and coding abilities are good skills to have so I want to be able to incorporate computational models in my research, if possible. 

5) My ultimate goal is to work in a research hospital where I can work as a research-clinician. So, I want to be in a lab with current research-clinicians to get a better sense of what that would be like for myself in the future. 

So, to summarize:

1. Think about what research modality you're comfortable with. For me, I'm not comfortable working with animal models. 

2. What skills do you have that you feel would help you in your intended research? Will you be able to utilize those skills in the labs you choose? 

3. What skills do you hope to gain through your research? Which program will provide you the best mentor to help you develop those skills? 

4. What question(s) do you intend to answer with your research and does your chosen lab have the resources to help you find those answers? 

5. What do you want to do in the end with your degree? Do the faculty in your chosen program reflect what you hope to achieve professionally? 

This was an incredibly helpful response, thank you. 

On 2/21/2020 at 9:49 AM, neuroticneuro6 said:

This was an incredibly helpful response, thank you. 

You're welcome. Best of luck!