Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Honestly, frantically trying learn as much as I can about the area. Looking at apartments via craigslist to get an idea for costs,  Helping my wife look for potential employers, rereading the offer letter to make sure its real... you know the usual.

I have a visit scheduled soon but deal with anxiety by trying to learn as much about the issue as possible.

Still haven’t heard from any of the other schools but I count myself lucky that my first response was an acceptance and is my first choice for PI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats to all! Such an exciting time! 

I will be making this summer about me by creating a list and doing many of the things I've wanted to do like plan a few trips and spend time with family. I have some PTO from my full time job to use up before I leave, so what a perfect way to spend it. Which brings me to a question for you all:

If you are currently employed, when are planning to tell your employer that you will be leaving? 

Unfortunately my direct supervisor does know that I applied to schools. I asked an indirect supervisor to be a letter writer in confidence and unfortunately that confidence was broken and my direct supervisor found out I was applying. My relationship with my direct supervisor has been tense ever since as I feel I am being written out of my job already, though there was no guarantee I was leaving. I plan on working until early August but I don't want to be pushed out before then, so I'm hesitant of informing anyone too far in advance. Not exactly sure what to do here.

 

Edited by Shutterbug21
Grammar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shutterbug21 said:

Congrats to all! Such an exciting time! 

I will be making this summer about me by creating a list and doing many of the things I've wanted to do like plan a few trips and spend time with family. I have some PTO from my full time job to use up before I leave, so what a perfect way to spend it. Which brings me to a question for you all:

If you are currently employed, when are planning to tell your employer that you will be leaving? 

Unfortunately my direct supervisor does know that I applied to schools. I asked an indirect supervisor to be a letter writer in confidence and unfortunately that confidence was broken and my direct supervisor found out I was applying. My relationship with my direct supervisor has been tense ever since as I feel I am being written out of my job already, though there was no guarantee I was leaving. I plan on working until early August but I don't want to be pushed out before then, so I'm hesitant of informing anyone too far in advance. Not exactly sure what to do here.

 

I, too, am working full-time but my supervisor doesn't know about my applications/plan to start a doc program this fall. That's really shitty of your indirect supervisor to break your trust and, honestly, leaves a bad impression on them. I've been thinking this same exact question over and have decided I'm going to make the last June business day as my last work day so that I have a full month and a half to spend at home, hang out with friends and family, and soak in the summer in my current beloved city of almost 9 years. However, that does kind of mess up my finances because I won't be making any money anymore (other than my side hustle in private prac counseling). If I were you, I wouldn't inform anyone else because 1) you don't owe people an explanation and 2) they might start looking for someone to replace you.

Great question but I think main consideration is what will work for you. Best of luck - feel free to DM me to chat further if you'd like!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Shutterbug21 said:

Congrats to all! Such an exciting time! 

I will be making this summer about me by creating a list and doing many of the things I've wanted to do like plan a few trips and spend time with family. I have some PTO from my full time job to use up before I leave, so what a perfect way to spend it. Which brings me to a question for you all:

If you are currently employed, when are planning to tell your employer that you will be leaving? 

Unfortunately my direct supervisor does know that I applied to schools. I asked an indirect supervisor to be a letter writer in confidence and unfortunately that confidence was broken and my direct supervisor found out I was applying. My relationship with my direct supervisor has been tense ever since as I feel I am being written out of my job already, though there was no guarantee I was leaving. I plan on working until early August but I don't want to be pushed out before then, so I'm hesitant of informing anyone too far in advance. Not exactly sure what to do here.

This is a great question! I am honestly confused about this too. The job I'm working in now is in a large psychiatric hospital with a population that is the same that I'll be studying in graduate school. The wonderful thing is that I'm currently working on a study where I'm getting to know my other collaborators who are leaders in research in that population (developed significant scales, etc). However, the bad part of that is that I never told my supervisor I applied when I got hired in December (she never asked and there's an understanding that many people go off to school so I never told her - also  I'm unionized so wasn't super worried). I think she will be professional about it but I've been thinking alot about the best way to approach it as I want to ensure I keep a positive relationship with this research centre as I KNOW I will be back here at some point during graduate school. My plan is to tell her in a couple months (at least a couple months before I plan to leave in Sept) to allow her enough time to find a suitable replacement as I know she is very picky with hires. I guess one good thing about where I work is because it's such a big mental health centre, they get HUNDREDS of applications for positions so I know there will at least be a lot of interest. While getting into a clinical psychology program is HUGE news, the sucky part is I havent told ANYONE at work because I want her to know first so it's just been this huge secret I'm keeping.

I would say it's still good to give them a few weeks notice (over 2 weeks) to ensure you're on good terms. It also depends - will you be working with these people in the future? In that case you may want to tread even more carefully. I'm sorry to hear about your relationship with your supervisor. Hopefully with you being open with her and allowing time to find a replacement, she will be understanding of your situation and your request to stay until August.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Shutterbug21 said:

Congrats to all! Such an exciting time! 

I will be making this summer about me by creating a list and doing many of the things I've wanted to do like plan a few trips and spend time with family. I have some PTO from my full time job to use up before I leave, so what a perfect way to spend it. Which brings me to a question for you all:

If you are currently employed, when are planning to tell your employer that you will be leaving? 

Unfortunately my direct supervisor does know that I applied to schools. I asked an indirect supervisor to be a letter writer in confidence and unfortunately that confidence was broken and my direct supervisor found out I was applying. My relationship with my direct supervisor has been tense ever since as I feel I am being written out of my job already, though there was no guarantee I was leaving. I plan on working until early August but I don't want to be pushed out before then, so I'm hesitant of informing anyone too far in advance. Not exactly sure what to do here.

 

I have my annual review coming up and I plan to tell my direct supervisor then so that we can plan out things over the next 6 months. Although certain people at my job such as the PI, CEO and my direct supervisor knew I was applying to school, I think they probably thought I wouldn’t get in. They are making all these plans with me involved and I’m sitting at my desk like 😳. Granted my PI was the one who wrote one of my letter of recommendations but I don’t think they want me to go 😭.

Also, a job can’t fire you if you’re going to school. You can actually bring a case against them for that. I would definitely let them know soon but inform them that you’re willing to still put in the work at this company and train whoever maybe coming in to take over your position. It shows that you’re still committed and not trying to just leave them high and dry. 
 

Depending on how my first semester goes, I am definitely thinking about asking my job if I can be a part time worker and work during my school breaks when I come back to visit. At least for the first year. (I work in research btw)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still have one last program to visit and some additional questions to ask, but I think I know what my decision will be (not that I'm admitting that to anyone IRL yet!) 

In the meantime, I'm mainly doing two things. First, finishing up my thesis (or trying to...). Second, (because I'm nuts), I'm spending time planning everything I want to accomplish during my Ph.D. For me, that includes things like when to apply for funding, when to start collecting dissertation data, when to start presenting symposia at conferences, etc. And other things like when I'll probably have to take certain classes or when conference deadlines will be. I can't study ahead of time (and I refuse to try, this summer is for RELAXING), but this is my Ph.D. and I want to be in charge of how things go. I know that my (probable) future PI is on board with my taking charge here too, so that's good. 

Also, looking at potential places to live online is fun 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is anyone else finding it hard to pull the trigger on officially accepting an offer? I have my mind made up with where I want to go, I love the program and the PI and the city and I can't wait to make it official. But my gut feeling about this came on so quickly-- I feel like I need to force myself to slow down, even though I know I'll accept there eventually. It's also weird to have this application season come to an end so suddenly after being the focal point of my life for the better part of a year. Is there a "right time" to accept an offer? Is any of this making sense??? 😅

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, imemine said:

Is anyone else finding it hard to pull the trigger on officially accepting an offer? I have my mind made up with where I want to go, I love the program and the PI and the city and I can't wait to make it official. But my gut feeling about this came on so quickly-- I feel like I need to force myself to slow down, even though I know I'll accept there eventually. It's also weird to have this application season come to an end so suddenly after being the focal point of my life for the better part of a year. Is there a "right time" to accept an offer? Is any of this making sense??? 😅

I think this makes total sense. You’re considering a decision that’ll determine the next few years of your life and then, ultimately, your future (nbd). I’m definitely projecting here because I’m so terrible at making huge decisions but the weight of this decision is massive, gigantic, enormous but also exciting, well-earned, and amazing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, imemine said:

Is anyone else finding it hard to pull the trigger on officially accepting an offer? I have my mind made up with where I want to go, I love the program and the PI and the city and I can't wait to make it official. But my gut feeling about this came on so quickly-- I feel like I need to force myself to slow down, even though I know I'll accept there eventually. It's also weird to have this application season come to an end so suddenly after being the focal point of my life for the better part of a year. Is there a "right time" to accept an offer? Is any of this making sense??? 😅

So so much sense. It's a bad place, because I'm worried about making the decision (which I can't do in any case, b/c I still have visits, + I'm seriously considering 2 places at this point) but I'm also exhausted with people trying to sell me on a particular place/program. I get 1-2 emails from each program every week with something important I have to respond to. While I'm incredibly grateful to have gotten in and I never expected so many programs to consider me, it would be a huge breath of fresh air for someone to speak with me in a fully honest and straightforward way. As it is, I feel like I've gotten lost in a bizarre world where everyone compliments and sucks up to me all the time. Maybe it's the imposter syndrome, but I don't think I deserve this. It doesn't feel real. I'm also pretty introverted and I'm reeling from (and also exhausted by) all this travel, so I mostly feel ready for my life to go back to a peaceful normal. I'd like to feel like I know what's real about a place and what isn't. But when someone is trying intensely to sell me on something, it's hard for me to actually feel comfortable with the decision I'm making. 

I'm aware that my complaints are stupid and privileged. I'm just so so tired. 

For context: I've been traveling every week for over a month. 

Edited by amazingbutternutsquash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, imemine said:

Is anyone else finding it hard to pull the trigger on officially accepting an offer? I have my mind made up with where I want to go, I love the program and the PI and the city and I can't wait to make it official. But my gut feeling about this came on so quickly-- I feel like I need to force myself to slow down, even though I know I'll accept there eventually. It's also weird to have this application season come to an end so suddenly after being the focal point of my life for the better part of a year. Is there a "right time" to accept an offer? Is any of this making sense??? 😅

So excited for you! If it helps at all- if you know you'll accept there eventually, then you know. 😃 

35 minutes ago, amazingbutternutsquash said:

So so much sense. It's a bad place, because I'm worried about making the decision (which I can't do in any case, b/c I still have visits, + I'm seriously considering 2 places at this point) but I'm also exhausted with people trying to sell me on a particular place/program. I get 1-2 emails from each program every week with something important I have to respond to. While I'm incredibly grateful to have gotten in and I never expected so many programs to consider me, it would be a huge breath of fresh air for someone to speak with me in a fully honest and straightforward way. As it is, I feel like I've gotten lost in a bizarre world where everyone compliments and sucks up to me all the time. Maybe it's the imposter syndrome, but I don't think I deserve this. It doesn't feel real. I'm also pretty introverted and I'm reeling from (and also exhausted by) all this travel, so I mostly feel ready for my life to go back to a peaceful normal. I'd like to feel like I know what's real about a place and what isn't. But when someone is trying intensely to sell me on something, it's hard for me to actually feel comfortable with the decision I'm making. 

I'm aware that my complaints are stupid and privileged. I'm just so so tired. 

For context: I've been traveling every week for over a month. 

I can definitely relate to this. The lack of authenticity (even when writing my statements during the application, being extra nice to LoRs etc) is exhausting. Have you spoke to current grad students about this? Some can be real with you- and I really appreciated them. And I don't see how your complaints are stupid- they seem valid and helpful for others in the forum to see. Nor privileged- privileged or not, we all suffer and that's what binds us together. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know what comes next after you accept a program (clinical psych or otherwise)? Like orientation stuff, class registration etc 

congrats everyone! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, R2020 said:

Does anyone know what comes next after you accept a program (clinical psych or otherwise)? Like orientation stuff, class registration etc 

congrats everyone! 

You’ll get a memo in the summer about orientation and registration. You don’t hear much after you sign the paperwork until they’re gearing up for the fall. 
 

Congratulations!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I need advice!

My POI has offered me paid research work beginning in the summer.The time commitment is relatively small (<10 hours/ week), however, I still work 40+ hour weeks in addition to ongoing volunteer and research commitments. On one hand, I am exited to dive into research. On the other hand, I am feeling a bit burnt out from the application process and I would really like to rest as much as possible and do as many fun things as I can before I begin what I expect to be a very work heavy few years. If I make time for this, I will not have very much free time and I will be just as busy as I was during applications. 

What would you do in my situation? Should I be honest with my POI about how I'm feeling and request I begin in September, or should I make time for this?

Edited by springxsummer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, springxsummer said:

I need advice!

My POI has offered me paid research work beginning in the summer.The time commitment is relatively small (<10 hours/ week), however, I still work 40+ hour weeks in addition to ongoing volunteer and research commitments. On one hand, I am exited to dive into research. On the other hand, I am feeling a bit burnt out from the application process and I would really like to rest as much as possible and do as many fun things as I can before I begin what I expect to be a very work heavy few years. If I make time for this, I will not have very much free time and I will be just as busy as I was during applications. 

What would you do in my situation? Should I be honest with my POI about how I'm feeling and request I begin in September, or should I make time for this?

Work/life balance is huge so I would be honest to my POI about this. Wouldn't want you to start your program feeling burnt out! Especially if the next 4-5 summers will involve research work anyway (I don't know if this is the case but assume so).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PianoPsych said:

Work/life balance is huge so I would be honest to my POI about this. Wouldn't want you to start your program feeling burnt out! Especially if the next 4-5 summers will involve research work anyway (I don't know if this is the case but assume so).

This is what I was leaning towards... though my other commitments will be winding down in the next couple of months so now I’m second guessing...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am honestly just feeling so grateful that I can even post on this thread. A huge congrats to everyone, we all know what a huge accomplishment this is! :) 

I am currently working full time as a lab coordinator so will have to stay in the position until the end of July, but I intend to savor the feeling of free evenings and weekends until the fall. As the university I am 99% attending doesn't start until September, I am planning on taking all of August off to spend time with family, find and set up a new apartment, potentially get a pet, and take a few little vacations. While it is a trip for a conference, I am going to Poland in June and am excited to explore that new area of the world.

Oh yeah, and I am getting married spring of 2021 (at the end of my first year of grad school - yes, I'm insane) so after the year mark passes, I intend to get as much of that planning out of the way as possible before school starts!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations to everyone! We can now finally sleep in peace at night.

Can't believe that I will have the chance to post on this thread.. 

It was really a make or break situation for me as I student visa is expiring and I will have to fly back to the US if I were to apply again next year, which I won't be able to afford because the airfare is freaking expensive. There's a good chance that I might just have to give up my dream and pursue something else if I didn't get in this year.

I've really came a long way from a rural area of a small country in South East Asia where I haven't spoken English until I was in college. First generation college student and my grandmother didn't even really understand me when I told her about my acceptance this morning. But here I am! 9000 miles away from family and friends but I am so thankful for all the unconditional support from them! Finally I got the chance to make my dream come true!

I'll definitely go back to my country to spend time with my family before I'm stuck in the US for the next 5,6 years lol. I'll maybe come back around July just to deal with the moving, housing and car! Meanwhile, I'll let the good news sink in because I'm still having a hard time believing all of this!

Congrats again to all of you who made it! It was a really hard and torturing process and I still feel like an impostor! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.