Oxford, OH

lalala1

My son is a junior at Miami.  In 2014-15, they had a very cold, snowy winter.  Fortunately, that was the year before my son started.  His first two winters were very mild.  This year has been colder and snowier than he has experienced so far.  Overall, you are only about 30 miles north of the Kentucky border, and winters are much milder than in the upper Midwest.  But i did just buy my son a car and I spent the extra $1,000 for AWD.  If you already have a car that is not AWD, snow tires on FWD is a better option than AWD without FWD.  AWD with snow tires is tops.  (According to Consumer Reports.)

You didn't ask, but Oxford is a great little town and Miami's campus is beautiful.  Cincinnati is a nice bigger town, not too far away. 

I was accepted into Miami's MFA in Studio Art program yesterday! I haven't decided for sure yet, but I am thinking I'll be going here in the Fall.

Anyone else here going in the Fall?

Can anyone tell me a bit about current apartments/areas to live?

• 1 month later...

I've been accepted to the MFA Creative Writing program here and it seems likely that I will end up in Oxford this fall. Would love to get some more information about the town from people who have lived here. Specifically curious to know if it's easy to get around without a car and what the housing options are like.

My son made it 2 1/2 years without a car undergraduate.  He still walks most places.  He has an apartment on High Street, which is the main east/west drag where all the restaurants/bars/etc. are.

Oxford is a very small town and the campus is quite walkable.  There is decent bus service including west to a large Walmart and Kroger.  You will be competing with undergraduates for off-campus housing and many of them have already signed leases.

Hey everyone!

I did my undergrad and masters (graduating with masters in May!) at Miami.

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer!

On 2/20/2018 at 7:51 PM, Beaudreau said:

My son is a junior at Miami.  In 2014-15, they had a very cold, snowy winter.  Fortunately, that was the year before my son started.  His first two winters were very mild.  This year has been colder and snowier than he has experienced so far.  Overall, you are only about 30 miles north of the Kentucky border, and winters are much milder than in the upper Midwest.  But i did just buy my son a car and I spent the extra $1,000 for AWD.  If you already have a car that is not AWD, snow tires on FWD is a better option than AWD without FWD.  AWD with snow tires is tops.  (According to Consumer Reports.)

You didn't ask, but Oxford is a great little town and Miami's campus is beautiful.  Cincinnati is a nice bigger town, not too far away. 

2014-2015 was my sophomore year! That was such a horrible winter, and I lived on western, so it was extra horrible. I also had a broken foot, so I was sliding around in an aircast, lol. 

6 hours ago, smg2000 said:

I've been accepted to the MFA Creative Writing program here and it seems likely that I will end up in Oxford this fall. Would love to get some more information about the town from people who have lived here. Specifically curious to know if it's easy to get around without a car and what the housing options are like.

I didn't get a car until my senior year, and that was mostly because I had an internship outside of Oxford (also I live in Virginia, and driving home was a lot easier than flying). 

We have great bus systems, and the area is geographically very small and walkable! Also, parking is very tight and not worth the hassle if you do not have a pass (we have parking garages that everyone can use, but they cost money). 

12 hours ago, TwirlingBlades said:

We have great bus systems, and the area is geographically very small and walkable!

This is great to hear. I'm in no rush to get a car.

About housing, I figure you may have had a different experience since you also did undergrad there, but is it typical for masters students to connect before the program starts in order to look for housing together?

13 hours ago, smg2000 said:

This is great to hear. I'm in no rush to get a car.

About housing, I figure you may have had a different experience since you also did undergrad there, but is it typical for masters students to connect before the program starts in order to look for housing together?

For my program, people reached out to our grad department and they sent out a listserv email (example "so and so is an incoming graduate student in the dietetics program and is looking for a roommate. Here is her email") etc, etc. I also know that many people connected with current students and looked at housing during tours, which, for my department, is happening right now for incoming first-years. 

My department (kinesiology) is kind of unique because a good portion of people did their undergrad at Miami as well. 

Of course, this could be completely different for other departments! What are you studying? I would be happy to give apartment recommendations as well. Have you been to the campus?

Edited by TwirlingBlades

9 hours ago, TwirlingBlades said:

Of course, this could be completely different for other departments! What are you studying? I would be happy to give apartment recommendations as well. Have you been to the campus?

I'm going for an MFA in creative writing. Haven't been to the campus yet, and may have to move to Oxford sight unseen. Any resources you know for hunting down housing are much appreciated! Ideally I'd like to live with roommates to help ease the transition.

8 hours ago, smg2000 said:

I'm going for an MFA in creative writing. Haven't been to the campus yet, and may have to move to Oxford sight unseen. Any resources you know for hunting down housing are much appreciated! Ideally I'd like to live with roommates to help ease the transition.

https://offcampushousing.miamioh.edu/

This has a pretty holistic list of places to live. I recommend The Commons (I lived there 2 years; a bit far from campus but right next to kroger; different floor plans options; right near bus stop), Oxford West apartments (near The Commons; near bus stop), Hawks Landing (also a bit far, but nice), Chestnut Place is right next to campus (undergrads, but many of my friends lived there and liked it; building more apartments, not sure if they are opening for 2018-2019), Campus Commons is a good choice also (very cute and close to campus; undergrads, but hasn't been too rowdy, but that varies year to year.) Depends on what you are looking for!

I would stay away from Courtyards of Miami, small spaces and filled with loud UGs (my friend has lived there for two years, but definitely loud). Level 27 is way off campus, need a car for that. Level 27 has its own shuttle system but the hours are inconvenient. I would also stay away from uptown apartments. Ideal location, but LOUD. 

Most places you would need a roommate... I know the The Commons (where I lived) can help match you. I found my roommate last year (after my previous roommate graduated) through them. Other places might as well!

The Commons: https://www.oxfordcommons.com/ (recently got new management, rebranded from Oxford Commons and Miami Commons to "the commons" so you might hear it referred as Oxford Commons or Miami Commons by others. Oxford and Miami commons were under the same management, but named differently because they were built at two different times, so that was confusing. Now under one name, yay!)

Oxford West: http://www.oxfordwestapartments.com/

Chestnut Place: https://www.chestnutplacemiami.com/

South Campus Corner: http://southcampusquarter.com/ (rental business that owns many locations-> looks like they have a "roommate needed list" on the bottom of the front page)

There are a bunch more so if you find other options, I can also give you the low-down on those!

Also, there is an Off-Campus Outreach office: http://miamioh.edu/student-life/off-campus-outreach/. Also, it couldn't hurt to ask the English department if they have any recommendations, either for rooming or for living.

Edited by TwirlingBlades