Jump to content

NIH PREP 2020-2021 Applicants unite


Recommended Posts

Nobody has heard from Hopkins? Thought they were sending off their interview offers last week. Tempted to cross them off my list 🤔

Congratulations to everybody who has heard back from someone. COVID-19 has taken the world by surprise, so don't over-stress if programs delay their admission process. I have a friend that received 3 emails from PhD admissions asking for longer waiting periods due to telecommuting. Is much harder to rally the whole committees when everybody is getting sick and self-isolating. 

Stay healthy... and strong! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got an interview for Yale ESI Prep!

Nothing new to report. My list was finalized a couple of weeks ago. Just wanted to remind you of how cool you all are for staying strong all the way through May. Aside from having a freaking pandemic

Just got accepted to Harvard PREP!

Hi All.

I have accepted a position at the NIAID at NIH and I will be doing my post-baccalaureate research position at the Vaccine Research Center. I wish you all the best during this process and I hope you all stay safe during this times. 

As for Hopkins I actually called the director of Hopkins PREP directly because I was running out of time before my offer from NIH expires. I was advised directly from the director to accept the offer from NIH and told me that I was not on the list of applicants being considered for their PREP and states that this is partly due to me wanting to do MD/PhD and since PREP is focus on PhD I was not able to make it to the list. I trust the director so much and so I decided to accept the NIH offer. To give you an insight as well, they received about 200 applicants and they are only accepting 6-7 PREP. Anyways if you have any questions please let me know. PM me anytime. 

Goodluck everyone and I hope you all are well and safe. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MarxistHegelian said:

Nobody has heard from Hopkins? Thought they were sending off their interview offers last week. Tempted to cross them off my list 🤔

Congratulations to everybody who has heard back from someone. COVID-19 has taken the world by surprise, so don't over-stress if programs delay their admission process. I have a friend that received 3 emails from PhD admissions asking for longer waiting periods due to telecommuting. Is much harder to rally the whole committees when everybody is getting sick and self-isolating. 

Stay healthy... and strong! 

I think interviews should go out on the 20th (so tomorrow). Thats what it said on the confirmation email.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GolgiGirl_ said:

Is anyone terrified that their program will get cancelled due to covid-19?

I don't think they would cancel probably just delay. For example, BU PREP sent an email out saying that students would be starting Aug 1st instead of June 1st (which is the normal start date for this program). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, NYNeurosci24 said:

I don't think they would cancel probably just delay. For example, BU PREP sent an email out saying that students would be starting Aug 1st instead of June 1st (which is the normal start date for this program). 

Still, two months less to prepare for admissions! I'm hoping graduate programs will be real nice next cycle, and lower their expectations. There is a whole generation of seniors and postgraduates that will not be getting the same opportunities than previous cohorts. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, GolgiGirl_ said:

I think interviews should go out on the 20th (so tomorrow). Thats what it said on the confirmation email.

To quell anyone's anxiety and/or aid anyone in making the proper arrangements, Hopkins PREP made their offers in the second week of March. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ThisUserNameIsAlreadyTaken said:

Mt Sinai just sent an update for interviews to be sent out soon!

Yeah, I got the update. Do you think everybody who applied got it or just potential candidates? Because it does say we will be contacted about interviews.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2020 at 1:03 PM, MarxistHegelian said:

Still, two months less to prepare for admissions! I'm hoping graduate programs will be real nice next cycle, and lower their expectations. There is a whole generation of seniors and postgraduates that will not be getting the same opportunities than previous cohorts. 

This is a very important point for PREP. Unless you have a really cool PI, they will not be able to write a strong letter of recommendation. This is one of the biggest limitations of PREP imo. 3 months to impress a PI. Try to pick a good mentor (there are a lot of indicators) and get started in a lab asap. But don't rush, really make sure you pick a PI that's a good fit...

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, cofee said:

Same here. Do you have an idea when final decisions will be made? I know interviews are done tomorrow. 

 

Ohh got it, i misunderstood the question.. ill let you know if i get anything.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Eva91 said:

Hey everyone !! I am very happy to find this thread. Is anyone heard from Harvard ? I email them a while back ( when carona just started) and they said nothing will get postponed, i was wondering if it still the case. Did anyone had an interview ?  or heard anything? 

Hi! Welcome to the thread! I also applied to Harvard RSI and have not heard anything from them either :(

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.