Eastern New Mexico University Speech-Language Pathology Master's program

Hello!

I was recently accepted into ENMU's SLP master's program. Just wondering if anyone has attended/is currently attending/or knows anything about the program, can tell me more about it. How is the school? The people? The professors? More importantly how is their speech program? Any info. would be so helpful!

Thanks in advance!

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I am a current student at ENMU. I will be graduating in December. 

CDIS program is a rigorous program. Be prepared to push yourself, especially in Swift classes. However, once you take few Swift courses you'll find your groove. Swift summer classes are RIDICULOUS, her course work is pushed into 4 weeks of instruction. She'll allow a few weeks to take "outcome exams". 

The program has implemented "outcome exams" which are mini quizzes that align with KASA for each course. Basically, you can have an A in the course and you fail all outcomes at finals, you'll fail the course; or you can have a C at finals, take the exams and pass them all and get an A. The exams can work against you or for you. I have grown to like them because you can go at your own pace to take the exams. This will prepare you for your praxis! 

ENMU is pretty cheap, trust me! That is a big plus because grad school is expensive!

Professors are helpful but, will not hold your hand! They will challenge you and push you to your limits. This will make you a stronger clinician, trust me.

Portales is a very SMALL town, there's really nothing to do. Overall, Portales is a safe community! Most students usually stay at San Juan Village.

CDIS is a heavily research-based program. You will breathe and sweat research! Instead of completing a thesis you will have a research study to conduct. You will do it all. In retrospect, it's not that bad!

The only thing I dislike is the overwhelming anxiety of finding a placement. Although, medical placements are difficult to find due to Medicare Part B. This is pretty much universal across all speech pathology programs. At ENMU you'll get a clinic experience (SHROC), school, birth-3, SNF, and a medical experience (rehab, outpatient, inpatient, or hospital). I really like this because it pushes us out of our comfort zone in a variety of settings! Who knows maybe i'll switch from education to medical after I reach burn out?

I hope this helps! If you have more questions message me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 6/10/2020 at 11:37 PM, salsaverde525 said:

Hi,

CDIS program is a rigorous program. Be prepared to push yourself, especially in Swift classes. However, once you take few Swift courses you'll find your groove. Swift summer classes are RIDICULOUS, her course work is pushed into 4 weeks of instruction. She'll allow a few weeks to take "outcome exams". 

The program has implemented "outcome exams" which are mini quizzes that align with KASA for each course. Basically, you can have an A in the course and you fail all outcomes at finals, you'll fail the course; or you can have a C at finals, take the exams and pass them all and get an A. The exams can work against you or for you. I have grown to like them because you can go at your own pace to take the exams. This will prepare you for your praxis! 

ENMU is pretty cheap, trust me! That is a big plus because grad school is expensive!

Professors are helpful but, will not hold your hand! They will challenge you and push you to your limits. This will make you a stronger clinician, trust me.

Portales is a very SMALL town, there's really nothing to do. Overall, Portales is a safe community! Most students usually stay at San Juan Village.

CDIS is a heavily research-based program. You will breathe and sweat research! Instead of completing a thesis you will have a research study to conduct. You will do it all. In retrospect, it's not that bad!

The only thing I dislike is the overwhelming anxiety of finding a placement. Although, medical placements are difficult to find due to Medicare Part B. This is pretty much universal across all speech pathology programs. At ENMU you'll get a clinic experience (SHROC), school, birth-3, SNF, and a medical experience (rehab, outpatient, inpatient, or hospital). I really like this because it pushes us out of our comfort zone in a variety of settings! Who knows maybe i'll switch from education to medical after I reach burn out?

Hi, I had a question! First off thank you for sharing this information! I was accepted for Fall 2021, and I was wondering did you happen to take out any loans? From FASFA or another source? Also would you recommend having a car there for the one semester or is everything walking distance?

Lastly!! Swift, is that a professor? 

Thank you! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2021 at 11:18 PM, jb1211 said:

Hi, I had a question! First off thank you for sharing this information! I was accepted for Fall 2021, and I was wondering did you happen to take out any loans? From FASFA or another source? Also would you recommend having a car there for the one semester or is everything walking distance?

Lastly!! Swift, is that a professor? 

Thank you! 

I have a question for you! I applied for the 2021 Fall program as well, how long did it take for you to hear back?? 

13 minutes ago, Taylor Garcia said:

I have a question for you! I applied for the 2021 Fall program as well, how long did it take for you to hear back?? 

I applied in October and heard back the first week in Jan. I was accepted for Early Admissions, Spring 2021 ( I needed to take some leveling courses that were not required in my Bachelors degree.) So I think they may be sending out more acceptances for Fall 2021 soon. 

I applied for Fall 2021 and I am taking the CASper test soon. Does anyone know how long they give to accept/decline admission if it's offered? I'm hoping to have a chance to hear back from all of the programs I applied to before making a decision.

Also, I wanted to add this for anyone considering the ENMU SLP program and searching all over the internet for more info, several weeks ago I reached out to a few current students in the program regarding their experience. This is some info I was able to grab from them: 

• The program is very rigorous/time consuming, extremely affordable, heavily research based, and overall a high quality program with great professors.
  • Mandatory on campus residency (based off a campus map it seems like everything is within walking distance, still not sure though) 
  • One student said "be prepared for a research course every semester"
  • Another student said "The professors are great, each have their own teaching style. Courses are all well taught. Exams involve a lot of critical thinking so understanding the information is crucial"
  • Another student said the quality is great, and that she felt like she was getting a well-rounded education and that ENMU prepares you for a variety of settings, not focused mainly on students becoming school based slp's.
  • As for the clinical placements in your area, you create a list of possible placements in your area, and the program will contact/secure the placements for you. 
  • 2 months later...

Anyone from Canada and apply to this program? Can anyone share stats that have gotten accepted?

Are the classes mostly in the daytime or evenings? Synchronous? 

I'm considering doing a year of levelling courses and then applying, as I wasn't able to secure a spot at the U of A this year. I'm concerned about wasting more time "waiting" to see if next year will be my year with the U of A, plus online courses are my "jam" lately.  

I feel the price isn't that bad, and they sound like they are a viable option without relocating. This is HUGE for me, as I have kids, so one semester away may be doable as opposed to relocating all together! 

Any insights apprecaited! TIA 

On 3/9/2020 at 1:13 PM, Brianna Reeves said:

Hello!

I was recently accepted into ENMU's SLP master's program. Just wondering if anyone has attended/is currently attending/or knows anything about the program, can tell me more about it. How is the school? The people? The professors? More importantly how is their speech program? Any info. would be so helpful!

Thanks in advance!

On 6/11/2020 at 12:37 AM, salsaverde525 said:

Hi,

Hi, all! 

This thread has been extremely helpful! 

Curious if you'd be willing to share your stats? I'm considering doing the leveling and applying to the program. Currently I have a BEd with a special education minor, worked as a teacher, worked as an SLPA and have 'decent' stats.... 

It's SUPERBLY competitive in Canada, and I didn't quite make the cut this year for my hometown uni despite having a fairly competitive application. Trying to stay optimistic that this one will be a good fit and a realistic option for me (despite a full year of coursework 😭). TIA.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2020 at 2:37 AM, salsaverde525 said:

Hi,

The website says rolling admissions, but does anyone know when the deadlines are throughout the year for spring, summer and fall ??

8 hours ago, Bspeech said:

The website says rolling admissions, but does anyone know when the deadlines are throughout the year for spring, summer and fall ??

From The CSDCAS website re ENMU deadlines:

The ENMU CDIS Program accepts year-round applications via rolling admissions. This means we consider applications for students as they arrive and may fill available seats with distinguished applicants prior to our published deadlines.  As a result, qualified students will benefit from an early application, and may be admitted prior to the application deadline for future semesters.  Students must have completed at least 15 hours of CDIS coursework to be eligible for early admission.  Please note that early admission will require early commitment from the student to the program.  

To ensure timely review and consideration, students applying for a fall start date should apply by January 15. Students applying for a spring start date should apply by August 15.  This means that:

• Students who wish to begin in January of 2021 should apply by August 15, 2020.
  • Students who wish to begin in August of 2021 should apply by January 15, 2021.
  • Students who wish to begin in January of 2022 should apply by August 15, 2021.

The ENMU CDIS Program will continue to accept applications after our recommended deadline.  Preferred candidates will be offered admission in any term which has remaining unfilled seats.  This may be the next available term or a subsequent term. 

14 hours ago, slpforme said:

From The CSDCAS website re ENMU deadlines:

The ENMU CDIS Program accepts year-round applications via rolling admissions. This means we consider applications for students as they arrive and may fill available seats with distinguished applicants prior to our published deadlines.  As a result, qualified students will benefit from an early application, and may be admitted prior to the application deadline for future semesters.  Students must have completed at least 15 hours of CDIS coursework to be eligible for early admission.  Please note that early admission will require early commitment from the student to the program.  

To ensure timely review and consideration, students applying for a fall start date should apply by January 15. Students applying for a spring start date should apply by August 15.  This means that:

• Students who wish to begin in January of 2021 should apply by August 15, 2020.
  • Students who wish to begin in August of 2021 should apply by January 15, 2021.
  • Students who wish to begin in January of 2022 should apply by August 15, 2021.

The ENMU CDIS Program will continue to accept applications after our recommended deadline.  Preferred candidates will be offered admission in any term which has remaining unfilled seats.  This may be the next available term or a subsequent term. 

Do they have a summer acceptance as well or only Jan/Aug?

• 1 month later...
On 4/27/2021 at 8:23 AM, Bspeech said:

Do they have a summer acceptance as well or only Jan/Aug?

Only Jan/Aug:

"Students applying for a fall start date must apply by January 15.   Students applying for a spring start date must apply by August 15.  This means that:

• Students who wish to begin in January of 2020 must apply by August 15, 2019.
  • Students who wish to begin in August of 2020 must apply by January 15, 2020.
  • Students who wish to begin in January of 2021 must apply by August 15, 2020.
  • Students who wish to begin in August of 2021 must apply by January 15, 2021."

-https://my.enmu.edu/web/cdis/graduate-program-application-process