Anyone other Americans considering offers from Canadian schools? I live in a state next to the border and am considering two Canadian school offers - the border closure definitely has me nervous but neither of the schools seem concerned, so I'm going to try to set that worry aside.

I'm in the same boat!  I'm pretty close to accepting their offer, but I haven't heard anything from them about border closures, etc.  I'm definitely nervous about how moving would work during all of this, and if the start of the program would be delayed and/or start online.  Reading some news about this, it looks like the Canadian government is working on exemptions for international students with Visas, so we'll see how it works out in the fall?

Everything seems so up the in the air right now, but I'm glad you made this thread for others in a similar position!

@KinoCat Hi! Good to see someone else interested in Canada :) 

What school are you considering? I have offers from UBC and Simon Fraser. I haven't got anything official from them on border closure, just the professors not seeming concerned (though I talked to them last week and things are changing rapidly).

And I saw they just posted that there will be exemptions for students who already hold a student visa -- while that doesn't include me, as I still need to get mine, that's reassuring and makes me think they'll probably get one for those people with a Fall 2020 offer as well.

I just accepted the offer to University of Toronto today!  They told me they "hope to have more information in May," so we'll see.

2 hours ago, KinoCat said:

I just accepted the offer to University of Toronto today!  They told me they "hope to have more information in May," so we'll see.

Congratulations!

I accepted UBC! I also got to chat with a current American student attending there and she had some great tips. Get a Canadian banking account early - she says you'll likely need it for paying for housing if off-campus since a lot of places require a Canadian bank. At least at UBC, tuition and fees can be paid with a US bank account however. And apply for NEXUS early if you will be driving back and forth across the border at all.

Edited by starshiphistory