Jump to content

CGS-M 2020 - 2021 Results


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, HorseNerd said:

I got an offer too and was also very confused, so I called my school and they said it's some sort of problem and should be this year's dates. They're working with on it right now! Either you also got an offer at Waterloo, or the entire system dun goofed.

Okay... Thank you for letting me know. Mine is UBC... so I guess we just have to wait then? I'm a bit scared to accept it now... 

Edited by JoyJoy
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got NSERC from Carleton and Ryerson! I'm going to Ryerson, so I've released my Carleton offer.  Just to be a total sap for a second, three years ago I applied to a different masters program at th

Sorry this has happened to you - I was also waitlisted for my first CGS-M application a few years back and didn't get off of it. I know the uncertainty/radio silence is brutal, especially at times lik

Hi, I did the same and reached out to the awards office at the Faculty of Graduate studies at the U of A. Also, their letter to me had my rank on it.  As an update, I received notification t

1 minute ago, StructIntern said:

curious if a deferral is possible....

I think so, it can be deferred for up to 3 years

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JoyJoy said:

Okay... Thank you for letting me know. Mine is UBC... so I guess we just have to wait then? I'm a bit scared to accept it now... 

The person I talked to said check back later today or tomorrow, so if you're UBC, I'm guessing it's a system wide error. I would err on the side of caution an wait until something gets fixed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HorseNerd said:

The person I talked to said check back later today or tomorrow, so if you're UBC, I'm guessing it's a system wide error. I would err on the side of caution an wait until something gets fixed.

Yes, I agree...

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, HorseNerd said:

I got an offer too and was also very confused, so I called my school and they said it's some sort of problem and should be this year's dates. They're working with on it right now! Either you also got an offer at Waterloo, or the entire system dun goofed.

Thanks for letting us know -- I got an offer from UBC and also had the same problem and was super confused.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JoyJoy said:

I got an offer! But I have a question, when I choose to accept, it shows three options for me to click: 2021-05-01, 2021-09-01, 2022-01-01. They don't seem to be dates of commencement, Does anyone know what they are and how should I choose? 

I'm having the same problem and my offer is to McMaster! So it could be a tech problem on NSERC's end

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HorseNerd said:

The person I talked to said check back later today or tomorrow, so if you're UBC, I'm guessing it's a system wide error. I would err on the side of caution an wait until something gets fixed.

 

3 hours ago, underthewaves said:

Thanks for letting us know -- I got an offer from UBC and also had the same problem and was super confused.

I just checked, it got fixed. so the dates are dates of commencement? either starting this year May or Sepetember

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, JoyJoy said:

 

I just checked, it got fixed. so the dates are dates of commencement? either starting this year May or Sepetember

From what I've heard from friends, it's the date of when you want to start receiving the payments. I believe it's three equal payments, so most typically people will choose to start receiving it in May or September.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Got NSERC from Carleton and Ryerson! I'm going to Ryerson, so I've released my Carleton offer. 

Just to be a total sap for a second, three years ago I applied to a different masters program at three different schools and was rejected at all of them. After working towards my second degree in a field I finally feel passionate about, I was over the moon to receive grad school offers this time around. Getting NSERC has made me feel all kinds of things.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, wishful.thinking said:

Just to be a total sap for a second, three years ago I applied to a different masters program at three different schools and was rejected at all of them. After working towards my second degree in a field I finally feel passionate about, I was over the moon to receive grad school offers this time around. Getting NSERC has made me feel all kinds of things.

Congratulations. Happy for you. Lets c for those who are on alternate status, till how long they will have to wait.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JohnGalt@99 said:

Hi Guys, Congratulations to those who got offered.

I applied only at Western NSERC and got as Alternate status. Any idea about the probability of getting it or not getting offered? Thanks

It depends what your rank is, I was an alternate at UVic and ranked 11 I think, but I still got it. I had to wait the 3 weeks for everyone to decline offers.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all. Congrats to everyone who received an offer! I got two, one for York and U of T. Will be attending York. I'm curious if anyone knows how this impacts your graduate funding package (this is my first time applying). I'm receiving a 8k entrance scholarship and a 10k grad fellowship from York. On their website, they say "If a graduate student receives an external Tri-Council scholarship, part of the scholarship will count towards the York Fellowship". It's a bit vague, and I've emailed my department to clarify, but if anyone knows this works, I'd really appreciate some info! Apologies if this is a rather basic question. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Siosaur said:

t depends what your rank is, I was an alternate at UVic and ranked 11 I think, but I still got it. I had to wait the 3 weeks for everyone to decline offers.

Thanks Siosaur for the information. I guess I am not much hopeful on getting the information about my waitlist rank from the university. They may not provide or reply with some generic information. I guess waiting till it concludes is the  only way I can proceed. This wait is a killer i guess. Hope it gets over soon.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all, I hope everyone is doing alright during these times! Also congrats to everyone who has received offers 🎊

I have a quick question – I received an NSERC CGS-M for Queen's but I plan to attend grad school at Western. Is it possible to transfer the CGS-M between universities if you are conducting similar research? The faculty members in my department at Queen's believe this to be possible but the terms of the award state otherwise. Has anyone else encountered this dilemma before? I've contacted NSERC to get a definitive answer but I have a feeling it will be awhile before I hear back, so anything that could help ease my anticipation would be greatly appreciated. Thank you to any replies 🤠

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Ratchie said:

Hi all, I hope everyone is doing alright during these times! Also congrats to everyone who has received offers 🎊

I have a quick question – I received an NSERC CGS-M for Queen's but I plan to attend grad school at Western. Is it possible to transfer the CGS-M between universities if you are conducting similar research? The faculty members in my department at Queen's believe this to be possible but the terms of the award state otherwise. Has anyone else encountered this dilemma before? I've contacted NSERC to get a definitive answer but I have a feeling it will be awhile before I hear back, so anything that could help ease my anticipation would be greatly appreciated. Thank you to any replies 🤠

 

Did you apply for a CGS-M to Western? There is a form you can fill out to transfer NSERC between institutions but I think it has to be exceptional circumstances, since they are not meant to be transferable. I transferred mine between departments but at the same institution...

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Ratchie said:

Hi all, I hope everyone is doing alright during these times! Also congrats to everyone who has received offers 🎊

I have a quick question – I received an NSERC CGS-M for Queen's but I plan to attend grad school at Western. Is it possible to transfer the CGS-M between universities if you are conducting similar research? The faculty members in my department at Queen's believe this to be possible but the terms of the award state otherwise. Has anyone else encountered this dilemma before? I've contacted NSERC to get a definitive answer but I have a feeling it will be awhile before I hear back, so anything that could help ease my anticipation would be greatly appreciated. Thank you to any replies 🤠

 

I too am wondering the same thing! Got offered at Dal; however, planning to attend Western also (and conduct similar research between universities)... Definitely following this post! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MEM15 said:

I too am wondering the same thing! Got offered at Dal; however, planning to attend Western also (and conduct similar research between universities)... Definitely following this post! 

 

22 minutes ago, Siosaur said:

Did you apply for a CGS-M to Western? There is a form you can fill out to transfer NSERC between institutions but I think it has to be exceptional circumstances, since they are not meant to be transferable. I transferred mine between departments but at the same institution...

Just a quick search and it seems you can't transfer anymore  - I think before they used to allow some exceptions.

https://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/Guides-Guides/TriRTA-TriBFR_eng.asp#changeinstitution

CGS M, Vanier CGS and Banting PDF
No changes to institution are permitted for these programs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Siosaur said:

Did you apply for a CGS-M to Western? There is a form you can fill out to transfer NSERC between institutions but I think it has to be exceptional circumstances, since they are not meant to be transferable. I transferred mine between departments but at the same institution...

No unfortunately I didn't, I had intended to go to Queen's but had a change of heart in January (well after the NSERC deadline sadly). 

 

18 minutes ago, MEM15 said:

I too am wondering the same thing! Got offered at Dal; however, planning to attend Western also (and conduct similar research between universities)... Definitely following this post! 

Glad to know I'm not the only one! If I hear back from NSERC I'll be sure to post an update 🤠 

12 minutes ago, Siosaur said:

 

Just a quick search and it seems you can't transfer anymore  - I think before they used to allow some exceptions.

https://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/Guides-Guides/TriRTA-TriBFR_eng.asp#changeinstitution

CGS M, Vanier CGS and Banting PDF
No changes to institution are permitted for these programs.

That's too bad, I still have a small inkling of hope but we shall see. In any case, there's always next year to re-apply! Thanks for the help 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

Congrats to those who got offered.

I'm a Alternate at the U of Calgary. What are my chances? I already asked the Faculty of Graduate Studies at U of C for my ranking but got no response from them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MROUHI said:

Hi all,

Congrats to those who got offered.

I'm a Alternate at the U of Calgary. What are my chances? I already asked the Faculty of Graduate Studies at U of C for my ranking but got no response from them.

I guess its the overall waiting list in the University and proportion of students declining for UofCal. I am at the same situation for Western. I believe there may not be a thumb rule or go no-go formulations, but highly subjective. We have to wait till the first round of acceptance is over and alternates are pushed upwards. From what I hear or understand from forums, it may be done in a week's time or it may go on for 3-4 months also. 

 

Let's hope this wait gets over soon and we all are out of this curious time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.