Jump to content

Decisions 2020 (Ph.D.)


Recommended Posts

Oh whoops, already commented this on another thread, but - corona permitting, I'll be heading to Madison, Wisconsin.

And just a quick note for applicants who have either been shut out or are still unsure they'll have a positive decision to make this cycle: everybody's position is different, of course, but this was the third year of applying to schools for me. Thirty-eight other applications before this one finally clicked. So don't get disheartened too soon! ❤️

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2020 at 5:16 PM, platonetsocrate said:

Accepted University of Michigan! 

Declined: Marquette, Stony Brook, Villanova, Boston University, Fordham

Took myself off the waitlist: DePaul, UT Austin, Emory

(and, of course, rejected far, far more places than these)

@platonetsocrate, can I ask what your AOS is? It looks like you applied to a standard Continental slate, but then there's Michigan! (Congrats on that, of course!)

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Rose-Colored Beetle said:

@platonetsocrate, can I ask what your AOS is? It looks like you applied to a standard Continental slate, but then there's Michigan! (Congrats on that, of course!)

Sure - my AOS is in ancient.
I should note, though, that I was also rejected from 15 other programs, most of which were analytic in the way Michigan is. So I wouldn't characterize it by saying that I applied to a standard continental slate plus this one analytic program.
My specific project is one that could potentially be done in either sort of department. But I'm coming from a continental undergrad, so I knew I'd fare better applying to continental leaning or friendly departments, which is why I applied so widely. Basically I applied based on what the ancient faculty are working on, rather than based on whether the program as a whole is analytic or continental. Michigan was the best fit by far, certainly out of where I was accepted and possibly out of the programs I applied to more generally.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2020 at 9:00 AM, platonetsocrate said:

Sure - my AOS is in ancient.
I should note, though, that I was also rejected from 15 other programs, most of which were analytic in the way Michigan is. So I wouldn't characterize it by saying that I applied to a standard continental slate plus this one analytic program.
My specific project is one that could potentially be done in either sort of department. But I'm coming from a continental undergrad, so I knew I'd fare better applying to continental leaning or friendly departments, which is why I applied so widely. Basically I applied based on what the ancient faculty are working on, rather than based on whether the program as a whole is analytic or continental. Michigan was the best fit by far, certainly out of where I was accepted and possibly out of the programs I applied to more generally.

Cool! I'm working on medieval/phil religion at Fordham, but I like conty phil sometimes, so I was just curious. One of my undergrad colleagues does ancient at Michigan, so you'll probably meet him in the fall.

Congrats again!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Accepted University of New Mexico's M.A. offer. Virtually sitting in on Dr. Paul Livingston's Sense and Possibility class. Honestly, pretty stoked to see a course that discusses Deleuze and Frege. A lot of the conty-analytic divide is a bunch of nerdy infighting and pearl-clutching. If I get better offers from CSU Long Beach or CSU L.A., it's going to be a really tough decision because I really like the faculty at UNM, the interests of the department align well with my own, and the students seem to be of a higher caliber than other programs I was accepted into.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, you'll_never_get_to_heaven said:

Accepted University of New Mexico's M.A. offer. Virtually sitting in on Dr. Paul Livingston's Sense and Possibility class. Honestly, pretty stoked to see a course that discusses Deleuze and Frege. A lot of the conty-analytic divide is a bunch of nerdy infighting and pearl-clutching. If I get better offers from CSU Long Beach or CSU L.A., it's going to be a really tough decision because I really like the faculty at UNM, the interests of the department align well with my own, and the students seem to be of a higher caliber than other programs I was accepted into.

That sounds fascinating. My amateur sense is that, despite rhetorical flourish, Deleuze has some fairly straightforward and interesting theses about logical priority.

Link to post
Share on other sites

...and just accepted into CSU L.A., which is/was in a three-way tie for M.A. programs for me! No information about funding, etc., just a brief but pleasant email from the director of graduate admissions. I've been cutting everyone a break this admissions cycle, so I've only expected brief emails from anyone and I've been delighted to get anything else. Everything from simply processing documents to evaluating funding and hiring freezes has become so much more difficult

2 hours ago, Rose-Colored Beetle said:

That sounds fascinating. My amateur sense is that, despite rhetorical flourish, Deleuze has some fairly straightforward and interesting theses about logical priority.

Yeah, the faculty at UNM are really up to some interesting work that is very hard to confine to any bubble, and all of them have been really pleasant. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, you'll_never_get_to_heaven said:

...and just accepted into CSU L.A., which is/was in a three-way tie for M.A. programs for me! No information about funding, etc., just a brief but pleasant email from the director of graduate admissions. I've been cutting everyone a break this admissions cycle, so I've only expected brief emails from anyone and I've been delighted to get anything else. Everything from simply processing documents to evaluating funding and hiring freezes has become so much more difficult

Yeah, the faculty at UNM are really up to some interesting work that is very hard to confine to any bubble, and all of them have been really pleasant. 

Hey, a couple things:

(i) Congratulations!
(ii) I strongly recommend CSULA over UNM.
(iii) Try to post in the right forum! This is a forum for Ph.D. decisions! 
 

Good luck with the decision!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The_Last_Thylacine said:

Hey, a couple things:

(i) Congratulations!
(ii) I strongly recommend CSULA over UNM.
(iii) Try to post in the right forum! This is a forum for Ph.D. decisions! 
 

Good luck with the decision!

Dang, got all n posted in the wrong thread.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone heard from Marquette?  Of the 8 schools I've applied to, they have been the least transparent/most mysterious.  Following the application deadline of Feb. 1, there was a string of acceptances on Feb 5 but then virtual silence ever since.  I suspect they are in panic mode with this move to online format.  [I know what you will suggest: "just call or email the DGS"...I've already been there, done that] What say you; what's the word?

Edited by PHILOKEV
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2020 at 6:24 PM, PHILOKEV said:

Has anyone heard from Marquette?  Of the 8 schools I've applied to, they have been the least transparent/most mysterious.  Following the application deadline of Feb. 1, there was a string of acceptances on Feb 5 but then virtual silence ever since.  I suspect they are in panic mode with this move to online format.  [I know what you will suggest: "just call or email the DGS"...I've already been there, done that] What say you; what's the word?

Never mind.  I accepted an offer from Marquette with funding and tuition waiver on the same day it was received - April 20, 2020.  Thank you.  I guess that clears it up on my end.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.