Kumari

Chapel Hill, NC

Hi, all. I'm considering moving my family to the Chapel Hill area to pursue my PhD, and my main concern right now is regarding the public schools and day care situations. Where we live (CH or surrounding areas) will depend largely on where my husband can get a job, but I'm guessing we'll be in either Durham or Chapel Hill. Does anyone here have any recommendations or advice regarding daycares (for a 3 year old) and public schools (for a 9 year old)? Thank you!

3 hours ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

Hi, all. I'm considering moving my family to the Chapel Hill area to pursue my PhD, and my main concern right now is regarding the public schools and day care situations. Where we live (CH or surrounding areas) will depend largely on where my husband can get a job, but I'm guessing we'll be in either Durham or Chapel Hill. Does anyone here have any recommendations or advice regarding daycares (for a 3 year old) and public schools (for a 9 year old)? Thank you!

Hi there! Congrats on your acceptance. I am on the waitlist for the UNC CompLit program, so hopefully I will be joining you there (fingers crossed!). I am based in Chapel Hill already, though, and maybe can help answer your question.

In very general terms, the Chapel Hill-Carrboro City School district has a good reputation, much better than Durham Public Schools. A few of the schools are in walkable neighborhoods, and several of the Carrboro schools emphasize bilingual education. I did my student teaching for high school English in Durham high schools, and while a lot of students get a good education there, the schools have lots of problems too. As far as Durham geography, a lot of young families live in south Durham (the Hope Valley Farms area) because homes are relatively affordable and the area is safe. Because my teaching experience is at the high school level, I can't really speak specifically to elementary school quality.

In North Carolina, we also have charter schools, which are tuition-free. They vary in quality, since they are independently run. There is a lot of political opposition to charter schools, but they do exist and may be an option you'd want to consider, depending on where you end up.

What line or work is your husband in?

On 2/21/2018 at 6:55 AM, JustPoesieAlong said:

I am also interested in this. I hear great things about the Montesorri Academy of Chapel Hill and The Learning Experience. I just noticed how close south Durham is so starting to look there.

Hello! 

I'll be attending UNC-Chapel Hill this fall. I'm coming from South Asia. I'm not sure if this has been discussed earlier, but has anyone lived at/has some info on the on-campus graduate housing: its location, costs (in comparison to off-campus options), availability of amenities, safety etc? Any other info about the general experience of living there would be great too.

Thanks! 

I'll also be heading to UNC Chapel Hill this fall. I started looking at housing already as for my undergrad college town everything would be gone by April. I'd really like to avoid apartment complexes if possible. Any tips on where to look for one bedroom apartments with central AC (preferably no carpet) under $850? What are some local realty sites? I prefer my peace and quiet and definitely want to stay away from the loud, party areas.

Hi again! Thanks everyone for your comments regarding child care. I just received word that the closest my husband will be able to transfer jobs to will be on the other side of Raleigh. Which means we would likely base in Raleigh and each commute. Does anyone have any knowledge of the commute from Raleigh to Chapel Hill? 

Hello! Would looking for houses to rent in mid April be too late? I can’t really make a commitment with a landlord or anything until then because of my deadline and stuff. 

Also, do you think I’ll be able to find landlords that let me move in mid-June?

It is my first time doing this so any tips/advice is greatly appreciated!

Edited by pusheen323

8 hours ago, pusheen323 said:

Hello! Would looking for houses to rent in mid April be too late? I can’t really make a commitment with a landlord or anything until then because of my deadline and stuff. 

Also, do you think I’ll be able to find landlords that let me move in mid-June?

It is my first time doing this so any tips/advice is greatly appreciated!

Mid-April should be fine. A lot of complexes only require 60 days notice so stuff starts opening up in June for the 2018-19 school year. I think getting a lease to start in June will be tricky. Most run Aug-Jul ish. Your best bet would be to sublease a place for the in-between time.

Hello @Zooks, I highly recommend living on campus. There are buses every morning that leave Baity Hill and drop you right in the center of the campus. Your rent comes with all bills and amenenities included - wifi, TV, water, heat, etc. You can also rent your furniture from there but I'd recommend buying - there are super cheap places to go to do that. Finally, the apartments are fairly new - I believe they were built in 2005. Good luck!

Hi @ParentandGradStudent !! Thank you so much for weighing in :) I've sent in the application for campus housing. I read somewhere on this thread that the spots fill up pretty early (mostly on the day registration opens), although that was for the family housing units. Would you by any chance have an idea about the availability/competitiveness of the shared apartments?

20 minutes ago, ParentandGradStudent said:

Hey @Zooks ! I have no idea about the competitiveness for the shared apartments, but I imagine it's not much. I remember I applied early April for the family housing, and within two weeks I had a unit assigned. I would tend to think that there are way more options for the shared units. Go Heels!

Oh that's great to hear! Thank you :D 

On 3/19/2018 at 11:39 AM, singinglupines said:

I'll also be heading to UNC Chapel Hill this fall. I started looking at housing already as for my undergrad college town everything would be gone by April. I'd really like to avoid apartment complexes if possible. Any tips on where to look for one bedroom apartments with central AC (preferably no carpet) under $850? What are some local realty sites? I prefer my peace and quiet and definitely want to stay away from the loud, party areas.

I'd recommend looking in Carrboro. It's where a lot of graduate students live, and there are also lots of young families who live there. A lot of it is walkable to downtown, there are free buses to campus, but it's not where you're going to find the big parties. 

I recommend looking at chapelhillrent.com. I've found several of my apartments through that site.

Coming to the area to start PhD at UNC this fall. I am thinking about ashbrook, bridges at chapel hill and rock creek. Anyone looking for a roommate?

I'm a guy and will be entering the Biostatistics PhD program. If anyone's looking for roommates, feel free to message me! Looking for an apartment and 2-3 other roommates.