Jump to content
clinicalpsych.2020

Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

Recommended Posts

Random question pertaining to applications - what do y'all think about requesting the full text of papers for professors you want to work with through ResarchGate? I don't have access to any academic libraries right now and have no idea how else to keep up with what they're currently working on.

Separately, YES! Definitely also worried about the possible impacts of the pandemic on applications this fall. Crossing my fingers that it's not going to be a huge negative for all of us!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EmpatheticMastermind said:

Random question pertaining to applications - what do y'all think about requesting the full text of papers for professors you want to work with through ResarchGate? I don't have access to any academic libraries right now and have no idea how else to keep up with what they're currently working on.

Separately, YES! Definitely also worried about the possible impacts of the pandemic on applications this fall. Crossing my fingers that it's not going to be a huge negative for all of us!

Another option, if you happen to have any friends or family that are still in school, you can ask them to pull some of these articles. I did that to, which was helpful. Sometimes public libraries have access to some databases. Also, check with your school's alumni office. Sometimes you can still get access, but you have to go through a separate process than matriculated students. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Out of curiosity, what is everyone doing to prepare for your applications this Fall amidst COVID-19? Has anyone hit any speed bumps due to everything going on?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My biggest speed bump has been the April Psych GRE being cancelled. Now I'm feeling more pressure to study for the fall, since I'll likely only take it once and want to do well. Otherwise, I'm currently working on my emails to professors asking if they're planning to accept a new grad student.

Anyone else facing the dichotomy of "I have so much I still need to do" and "why does the application deadline feel so far away?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 It is almost more nerve-wracking that some programs are deciding to remove the GRE requirement, as I know many prospective students are hoping to use a high GRE score as a significant part of their application. I'm neck deep in research, and I am hoping to finish a publication this summer but who knows?

And I feel that! I have been trying to work on my personal statements, but my motivation is just not there yet. At least we are getting closer to the new fiscal year for academia, which means we will see what programs might not be taking or funding students. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

First time applicant here! Honestly I am TERRIFIED. I have my GRE ready. But I might take it again in the fall to aim for a higher score. (I can greedy when it comes to test scores haha) I'm working on a research remotely at home with someone I worked with during my college years. This is primarily for the sake of some authorship. I worked at two labs for 2 years and one year each until I graduated last year. I have finished my honors thesis that I presented at a conference last year. I also have half a year worth of honors research experience that got me started in research. But I did spend most of last one year to get GRE ready. I was going to start a research volunteer position near my house in March. Then,of course, COVID19 hits the world. So that one got cancelled. For that reason, the new remote research is super early in progress. 

The list of schools is only getting bigger bc i'm basically adding every school that has a faculty with some overlap in my research interests. I'm working part-time for a non-relevant field.

In terms of field, I'm considering clinical psychology with a specialty in criminology. My primary interests lie in sexual assaults, crime victims, and social minorities. I think i may apply to some counseling programs with good interest match. I know everyone is having a difficult time, but we can definitely do it. If this cycle doesnt go well, I am for sure applying again next cycle. 

 

quick question guys: when are you all contacting your POIs? I was going to wait until September but I see some people contacting POIs now. 

Edited by SheMadeItEventually
question added

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would hold off until August/September before you start emailing faculty. Honestly, some schools still don't even know what next semester is going to look like and may be experiencing millions of dollars in lost revenue. Many faculty may not even know it they are taking a student this early on in a regular year. Given everything now, it is even less likely that faculty will know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if it's frowned upon to shamelessly self-promote here, but I ended up starting a blog focused mainly on clinical psychology PhD admissions. I'm using it to organize helpful information I've been given and have stumbled upon, while also sharing resources I've created over the past few years. I'm by no means an expert, but I have some unique insight because I've been through this process a few times, and have grown exponentially each cycle. I've also been fortunate to have exceptional mentorship along the way, which I know not everyone has.  I'm hoping what I post is helpful for at least one other person. First timers, it might be especially relevant for you!

Check it out if you're interested: www.thedailypsych.com 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I reached out to a few faculty members, and they also seem certain that they will have a student. Several said that the websites will be updated with any news in July, If there are changes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are everyone's thoughts on reaching out to PI's whose labs you had previously applied for, either as a grad student or a RA, but were ultimately rejected (not for any discernibly terrible reason)? Come fall it will be anywhere from .5 - 1.5 years since I had any contact with them/their lab. Kind of awkward, but I'd hate to remove some otherwise great fits from my list, and I'd like to start dropping some email feelers in a few months...any good ways to rebuild a connection? Or have I just inadvertently shot myself in the foot? 🙃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2020 at 11:48 PM, EileanDonan said:

What are everyone's thoughts on reaching out to PI's whose labs you had previously applied for, either as a grad student or a RA, but were ultimately rejected (not for any discernibly terrible reason)? Come fall it will be anywhere from .5 - 1.5 years since I had any contact with them/their lab. Kind of awkward, but I'd hate to remove some otherwise great fits from my list, and I'd like to start dropping some email feelers in a few months...any good ways to rebuild a connection? Or have I just inadvertently shot myself in the foot? 🙃

I don't think there's anything wrong with it if you're interested in them and they're a good research fit. It depends entirely on why you were rejected -- which is something you probably will never fully know (unfortunately). I've been on the other end of situations where we end up with 3 highly qualified candidates applying for a single RA position and we're genuinely upset we can't give all of them spots, and end up choosing someone who is marginally more qualified than the other 2. If those other 2 people were to reach out 1-2 years later as an interested grad student we would be ecstatic and would seriously consider their application, with positive memories from their prior application with us. But - I've also helped conduct interviews for RA positions where someone wasn't a fit at all or was off-putting during the interview, and we had no interest in accepting them. If they were to apply as a grad student years later, we'd obviously take the time to go through their application, but it would be very different from the first scenario.

Anyway - my point is just that people sometimes give really polarized responses of YES definitely do that! Or NO don't waste your time! And it really depends on why the person wasn't accepted and it can work for you or against you, so why not give it a shot? I think all it takes is a quick intro of "I applied during x season or to x position" and that you're applying to grad school this cycle and wanted to know if they were planning to accept a student for fall 2021?

good luck!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

For folks that are trying to find programs, this past week I found out the APA has a new premium search tool you can access for a fee. It might be helpful for some of you if you are still searching! I created a little graphic that tells you how it's different from the free APA search tool before you take the plunge. It is $19.99 for 3 months - you can also access the tool for 6 or 12 months if necessary but I'm assuming 3 months would be plenty of time. hope it's helpful for someone! 

Here's the link for the comparison table (it's huge if I try to directly attach it 😅

https://www.canva.com/design/DAD-yWCEK78/jXPKF4pduEgzeLN7qvrhKg/view?utm_content=DAD-yWCEK78&utm_campaign=designshare&utm_medium=link&utm_source=publishsharelink

Edited by justacigar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, justacigar said:

For folks that are trying to find programs, this past week I found out the APA has a new premium search tool you can access for a fee. It might be helpful for some of you if you are still searching! I created a little graphic that tells you how it's different from the free APA search tool before you take the plunge. It is $19.99 for 3 months - you can also access the tool for 6 or 12 months if necessary but I'm assuming 3 months would be plenty of time. hope it's helpful for someone! 

Here's the link for the comparison table (it's huge if I try to directly attach it 😅

https://www.canva.com/design/DAD-yWCEK78/jXPKF4pduEgzeLN7qvrhKg/view?utm_content=DAD-yWCEK78&utm_campaign=designshare&utm_medium=link&utm_source=publishsharelink

this is really great, thank you!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all!

I'm applying this cycle. First time applicant; I'm quite nervous! I'm fully expecting to get rejected from every program just because of the competitiveness of these applications. I'm looking for balanced programs w/ emphasis on clinical and research. So far I plan on applying to Drexel, Northwestern Feinberg, University of Maine, UConn, Fordham, UF, and others. Taking my GRE in July (fingers crossed)! I have reached out to one POI so far with no response so I'm thinking I'll wait a bit until emailing other POIs. I'm applying to as many research coordinator positions as possible but a lot of places are unsure if they will be able to actually hire applications. It's all a mess right now! 

I know some schools are removing the GRE as a requirement, which is crazy. 

Hopefully everything goes smoothly for us applicants!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2020 at 11:48 PM, EileanDonan said:

What are everyone's thoughts on reaching out to PI's whose labs you had previously applied for, either as a grad student or a RA, but were ultimately rejected (not for any discernibly terrible reason)? Come fall it will be anywhere from .5 - 1.5 years since I had any contact with them/their lab. Kind of awkward, but I'd hate to remove some otherwise great fits from my list, and I'd like to start dropping some email feelers in a few months...any good ways to rebuild a connection? Or have I just inadvertently shot myself in the foot? 🙃

Just make sure the tone in your email is coming from the interested research place, and not the anxious stir-crazy pandemic place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, PsychApplicant2 said:

Hi all!

I'm applying this cycle. First time applicant; I'm quite nervous! I'm fully expecting to get rejected from every program just because of the competitiveness of these applications. I'm looking for balanced programs w/ emphasis on clinical and research. So far I plan on applying to Drexel, Northwestern Feinberg, University of Maine, UConn, Fordham, UF, and others. Taking my GRE in July (fingers crossed)! I have reached out to one POI so far with no response so I'm thinking I'll wait a bit until emailing other POIs. I'm applying to as many research coordinator positions as possible but a lot of places are unsure if they will be able to actually hire applications. It's all a mess right now! 

I know some schools are removing the GRE as a requirement, which is crazy. 

Hopefully everything goes smoothly for us applicants!!

Just wanted to chime in here and say that although the schools might be removing the GRE from required materials, it sounds like it's still preferred that applicants include scores. So, if any of you are on the fence about taking/retaking the GRE, I might err on the side of caution. But it's hard to know how each individual program will approach the GRE this year. 

Also, best of luck! My advice is to consistently be noting lessons learned and how you can improve if a second cycle becomes necessary, but I hope you find success! I'm on my third round and it's insane how much I've improved my application package from year to year. Even if you aren't accepted, you will learn valuable things that will be super helpful for next year. I think waiting to email faculty is smart. I've had the best luck around September, and even then not everyone has finalized plans for admissions yet. With the pandemic it's likely to be even more impacted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, justacigar said:

Just wanted to chime in here and say that although the schools might be removing the GRE from required materials, it sounds like it's still preferred that applicants include scores. So, if any of you are on the fence about taking/retaking the GRE, I might err on the side of caution. But it's hard to know how each individual program will approach the GRE this year. 

Also, best of luck! My advice is to consistently be noting lessons learned and how you can improve if a second cycle becomes necessary, but I hope you find success! I'm on my third round and it's insane how much I've improved my application package from year to year. Even if you aren't accepted, you will learn valuable things that will be super helpful for next year. I think waiting to email faculty is smart. I've had the best luck around September, and even then not everyone has finalized plans for admissions yet. With the pandemic it's likely to be even more impacted. 

Yes, I have heard that about the GRE too! I have it scheduled for the end of July. I guess being unemployed (not for lack in trying) is a blessing in disguise, because all I've been doing is studying for the GRE to improve my scores from last year! And yes, I've heard emailing faculty later is probably the best bet. It's a crazy process, I'm already overwhelmed but I'm hopeful!

Good luck to you!! I hope the pandemic doesn't mess up our plans too much. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all, first time poster. Looking for advice and/or guidance on my chances of getting in this year and what to do if I don't get in to improve my chances next time around. Thanks in advance!

I have a bachelor's in psych, masters in social work. Looking at clinical/counseling programs. Primarily interested in psychotherapy process/outcome and PTSD. Funded programs would be a huge plus (still looking through guides to identify potential programs).

Concerns: Undergrad GPA 2.8 (psych 3.5), all my research experience is social work (no psych/clinical populations), likely to get 155-ish V and Q scores on GRE (still studying). Completed my undergrad roughly 8 years ago (just completed MSW last year).

Strengths: 1 year of managing a quantitative research project, doing pretty basic SPSS work. Also received a semester of grad training in SAS. One publication (5th author), and one hopeful publication of a qualitative publication as second author. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone! Just wondering what your opinions are on what minimum verbal and quant. GRE scores I should have to (realistically) apply for clinical PhD. For example, if I end up scoring less than 160 V should I re-write?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, all! I found this spreadsheet on Reddit of clinical psychology programs that are waiving their GRE Requirement for this fall. (I don't personally plan to schools that only waive their GRE Requirements, but I thought this could help some people!)

 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SrWySd98Aqf0b0C_XN2KX_Uqt-9q0Hrem-ZX2w-dads/edit?usp=sharing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.