clinicalpsych.2020

Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

3 minutes ago, justacigar said:

Third rounder checking in 🙋‍♀️I am also very nervous. It's really difficult to know how this cycle will shake out. Could be 10x harder, could be better for those of us with extra experience and GRE scores, faculty could have no money for new students... I honestly have no idea. I think the pressure feels more intense this time because I don't know if I have it in me to apply again! 

I totally agree - the idea of going through the process again is so daunting, even without the added craziness of covid

I'm also kinda dreading this cycle, especially as a Canadian applying to American schools. Second time applying (almost my third but decided to work that cycle instead) and it'll be my last time. My first attempt was in 2018/2019--feels like EEEONS ago lol. Sending everyone good vibes!!

1 hour ago, higaisha said:

I'm also kinda dreading this cycle, especially as a Canadian applying to American schools. Second time applying (almost my third but decided to work that cycle instead) and it'll be my last time. My first attempt was in 2018/2019--feels like EEEONS ago lol. Sending everyone good vibes!!

What's next for you if you dont' get in this year?

10 hours ago, HopefulPsych2020 said:

What's next for you if you dont' get in this year?

Thinking of applying to law this cycle too. Anyone else considering that as a backup? 

1 hour ago, higaisha said:

Thinking of applying to law this cycle too. Anyone else considering that as a backup? 

have you completed the LSAT? how did it compare to the GRE. I am also applying to Canadian programs and thinking of school Psych as a backup. I did consider Law but am afraid of my letter of recommendation writers thinking I am not passionate about clinical psych.

I applied once before in 2018 and had no success at application stage but I felt I was going into the process very blind (I'm an international applicant). I didn't apply last cycle because I didn't feel confident and was waiting on two publications however they are still in the reviewing process and recently both got asked for further revisions for the 3rd time both over 1 year (sigh). I'm applying this year but I am worried about this cycle because of the pandemic and if the GRE is waived this will place more attention on other factors. Unfortunately, as well I had a really good RA position in the area of my PhD interest that got pulled last week because I can't relocate due to visa/covid :(

Edited by psychapplicant21

On 8/1/2020 at 11:25 AM, psychapplicant21 said:

I applied once before in 2018 and had no success at application stage but I felt I was going into the process very blind (I'm an international applicant). I didn't apply last cycle because I didn't feel confident and was waiting on two publications however they are still in the reviewing process and recently both got asked for further revisions for the 3rd time both over 1 year (sigh). I'm applying this year but I am worried about this cycle because of the pandemic and if the GRE is waived this will place more attention on other factors. Unfortunately, as well I had a really good RA position in the area of my PhD interest that got pulled last week because I can't relocate due to visa/covid :(

i thought i had it rough. best of luck!

Now that we're getting closer to applications, how many programs are y'all applying to? My expectation is in the 10-12 range, although could go as high as 15. I'm worried about applying to fewer because of competitiveness. I would love to walk out of this cycle with an offer (who doesn't???), but if not, at least a few interviews.

44 minutes ago, EmpatheticMastermind said:

Now that we're getting closer to applications, how many programs are y'all applying to? My expectation is in the 10-12 range, although could go as high as 15. I'm worried about applying to fewer because of competitiveness. I would love to walk out of this cycle with an offer (who doesn't???), but if not, at least a few interviews.

I currently have 15 on my list but I am worried about cost. Trying to weigh the chances of getting in to some of my schools versus the amount I will need to pay for the application😬

1 hour ago, EmpatheticMastermind said:

I think a general rule of thumb is around 10. One of my mentors really shifted my perspective about how many programs to apply to...she said that it's unlikely we have a great fit with 15 programs, and fit is possibly the most important aspect of applications. If it feels like a stretch to draw similarities between faculty research and your interests a program is gonna notice that ya know? It could be better to apply to fewer, have more time to nail your statements and really let fit shine through

1 hour ago, EmpatheticMastermind said:

I'm still undecided - my interest list is almost 30, but I have very little idea of how many of the PIs are actually accepting this cycle. I plan on having the list greatly whittled down by the end of September once I've reached out to more folks. I definitely want to stick to the usual 10-15, although this year has been so weird for me. For all I know, I'll just select a handful I'm particularly excited for and otherwise wait till the next cycle (again). I feel like I'll be ancient by the time I start! On the plus side, there's the potential to save loads on GRE costs this year, so it's easier to afford throwing in a few extra schools.