4 hours ago, gloryous said:

Hey guys, I have been keeping up with this thread for the past few days. It seems like you all have been in this together for a long time and are super supportive. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I was wondering if any people here with their master's degree could help me out? 

I don't have any friends in the same field of me and no one else in my family has gotten their master's. I was just acceptedi into a program, but kind of feel lost. I have no idea how grad school actually works. Haha, I don't know if I sound dumb or not, but I would genuinely appreciate any advice/guidance anyone could give!

Always happy to provide any help I can as well. Feel free to drop me a PM. :)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In at Davis!!! My first English acceptance of this cycle. Really exciting and particularly validating since I was rejected from their program in my last app cycle. I'm so happy! Funding details to com

Anyone else getting this weird message on their pending applications or is it just me? Guessing this is a hint from the adcoms that I should refresh a few more times

I got into my first MA program!!! I know most of y'all are PhD applicants, but this is so huge for me!! I got offered a teaching assistantship for two years!!!! This means I can move out of my parents

Posted Images

14 hours ago, gloryous said:

Hey guys, I have been keeping up with this thread for the past few days. It seems like you all have been in this together for a long time and are super supportive. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I was wondering if any people here with their master's degree could help me out? 

I don't have any friends in the same field of me and no one else in my family has gotten their master's. I was just acceptedi into a program, but kind of feel lost. I have no idea how grad school actually works. Haha, I don't know if I sound dumb or not, but I would genuinely appreciate any advice/guidance anyone could give!

Fellow rhetoric person here, I'd be happy to answer any questions if you send me a DM. I did do my MA in a Comm department, but am still happy to answer any questions.

On 2/9/2021 at 2:36 AM, Bopie5 said:

In at Davis!!! My first English acceptance of this cycle. Really exciting and particularly validating since I was rejected from their program in my last app cycle. I'm so happy! Funding details to come, but it feels amazing to have multiple good offers on the table.

Bopie, I have been here since 2019 as well and I can't really articulate how I feel about your acceptance. Though I must assure you that all my feelings verge on awe. Your presence has cheered so many of us over the last couple of years! Firstly, congratulations and hopefully you will be spoilt for choice by the end of the circle!

I had an acceptance in 2019 but I am an international student and the funding didn't really work out. Like you took the MA route I took a similar route (Mphil). I had planned to apply this season but the pandemic proved to be somewhat of a deterrent. I say somewhat because the biggest deterrent is my own insecurity about my potential. There are so many brilliant scholars who receive multiple offers that it is hard to be very hopeful.

Yet, ever since I have read about your acceptance, it has made me somewhat hopeful for the second cycle (I am planning to apply for Fall 2022). Being hopeful is such a difficult stance these days! I feel, simply by being on this forum, I have been a witness to your enormous potential, but more importantly, your hard work and absolute commitment to your work and grad school over the last two years. It's hard to see such unwavering determination amidst everything that has been happening since last year and it's indeed heartening (and if I may say so without sounding sentimental-- very inspirational *tearing up*).

Your effort and acceptance have restored a kind of faith in the effort that I have put since the last cycle. I don't think much of my scholarly potential but I have still put in some effort and I feel I have improved as a scholar. But without your acceptance, the hard work would not have had much validation. Your acceptance validates so many of our efforts who are/will be risking another cycle. It's probably hard for you to comprehend how much moral force your hard work and acceptance bear but the force has been pretty enormous :D

All the very best and hopefully we will get to read more of your works very soon! After all not many think or write about reality cooking shows and their racial and ethnic biases! *_* *all admiration* 

In at UConn!! I'm genuinely so excited and especially after getting back to back rejections from Yale and Cornell, it's amazing to know I'll have somewhere to go!! Thank you to all of you for providing such a welcoming and thoughtful place on the internet!

16 minutes ago, ghost-enthusiast said:

In at UConn!! I'm genuinely so excited and especially after getting back to back rejections from Yale and Cornell, it's amazing to know I'll have somewhere to go!! Thank you to all of you for providing such a welcoming and thoughtful place on the internet!

HOLY SHIT CONGRATULATIONS!!! So happy for you!! 😀

54 minutes ago, ghost-enthusiast said:

Omg huge congrats!!! Let me know if you have any questions at all about the program, I'd be happy to help :)

1 hour ago, Hard times! said:

Bopie, I have been here since 2019 as well and I can't really articulate how I feel about your acceptance. Though I must assure you that all my feelings verge on awe. Your presence has cheered so many of us over the last couple of years! Firstly, congratulations and hopefully you will be spoilt for choice by the end of the circle!

I had an acceptance in 2019 but I am an international student and the funding didn't really work out. Like you took the MA route I took a similar route (Mphil). I had planned to apply this season but the pandemic proved to be somewhat of a deterrent. I say somewhat because the biggest deterrent is my own insecurity about my potential. There are so many brilliant scholars who receive multiple offers that it is hard to be very hopeful.

Yet, ever since I have read about your acceptance, it has made me somewhat hopeful for the second cycle (I am planning to apply for Fall 2022). Being hopeful is such a difficult stance these days! I feel, simply by being on this forum, I have been a witness to your enormous potential, but more importantly, your hard work and absolute commitment to your work and grad school over the last two years. It's hard to see such unwavering determination amidst everything that has been happening since last year and it's indeed heartening (and if I may say so without sounding sentimental-- very inspirational *tearing up*).

Your effort and acceptance have restored a kind of faith in the effort that I have put since the last cycle. I don't think much of my scholarly potential but I have still put in some effort and I feel I have improved as a scholar. But without your acceptance, the hard work would not have had much validation. Your acceptance validates so many of our efforts who are/will be risking another cycle. It's probably hard for you to comprehend how much moral force your hard work and acceptance bear but the force has been pretty enormous :D

All the very best and hopefully we will get to read more of your works very soon! After all not many think or write about reality cooking shows and their racial and ethnic biases! *_* *all admiration* 

Wow, can I just say, coming out of my weekly therapy appointment to this message...overwhelming. Apparently I can't react to any more posts today, but I wish I could heart react this multiple times. 

You are so kind for saying this, and for taking the time to write this message. I am so glad that you feel a sense of restored faith/hope/inspiration. Grad school can be so frustrating/confusing/demoralizing (honestly, just being alive can be all of those things). But it can also be so generative and fulfilling and exciting! I am wishing you all the best as well, wherever you end up in the future. If going to grad school is what you really want, I think it is worth it to try again (obviously, I certainly feel that way for myself). Also, I hope that you come to think more of your scholarly potential! It's hard to shut down imposter syndrome, but I really do believe we all have something to offer and something meaningful to say. We are here, after all. 

I am rooting for you. I hope that Fall 2022 goes wonderfully for you--I'm sure that cycle will be strange and unruly like this one, but if there's anything I can do to help, please just let me know. Happy to answer questions, read SoPs, etc. We're in this together. Academia can often create pressure to view everyone else as a competitor. But we are actually each other's collaborators and supporters, I really do believe that. We all stand to gain from each other's work and success. I look forward to celebrating yours in the future 

25 minutes ago, R Westy said:

Yeah I haven’t heard anything either, emailed the DGS this morning and no response. Feeling very forgotten lol. 

Jeez, I'm really losing my mind bc I feel like I just don't hear back from anyone lol. Could you let me know if you hear anything? good luck :)

Just now, A Small Raven said:

Guys this might be a super dumb question, but what does it mean when there's a red diamond next to the admissions decision that someone posted on the results page??

Click it and it’s a way to view the poster’s self reported GPA and GRE scores

13 minutes ago, cassidyaxx said:

Jeez, I'm really losing my mind bc I feel like I just don't hear back from anyone lol. Could you let me know if you hear anything? good luck :)

Yeah I will definitely let you know if I get a response! Good luck to you too! :)

21 hours ago, gloryous said:

Feel free to drop me a note as well. I got my MA quite awhile ago (11 years, now), but am relearning the ropes as I get ready to enter a PhD program. 

My first non-rejection letter of the cycle came today in the form a waitlist email from UConn! Considering how few people UConn is accepting this year and how many people probably applied I do feel some sense of relief (however attenuated). Does anyone have any recommendations for what a waitlisted applicant can/should do to maximize their chances of acceptance off the waitlist?

Edited by TheorySchmeory
26 minutes ago, Magic Lantern said:

According to the results page, Yale only takes 3 applicants this year, and Stanford only takes 2. I'm starting to think that this might be the case for most literature programs this year, unfortunately. Spent my day thinking about other (nonexistent) career paths and potentially reapplying next year. 😕

Definitely think people took less people across the board (not just Lit; other humanities, social sciences, STEM, everything) but there are some schools with bigger numbers too. Ohio State is planning on taking 18 (9 MA/PhD and 9 PhD) so even though it's hard, I'm trying to keep my hopes up that some schools will fund as many people as they are able without a detriment to their current students. Which is hopefully more than a handful.

I'm also worried and making contingency plans (which sucks) but it's only early February, a lot of school's timelines are behind, and there's a lot of season left. Hang in there everybody ❤️

Just got a letter from DGS in an email about being waitlisted. 

"Due to an especially strong pool of applicants this year, we have only been able to offer acceptance to a small number of the many outstanding candidates who applied. However, the Graduate Executive Committee was very impressed with your record and has placed your name on a very selective waiting list to which we may return later in the admissions process."

Not totally bad news!

1 hour ago, TheorySchmeory said:

My first non-rejection letter of the cycle came today in the form a waitlist email from UConn! Considering how few people UConn is accepting this year and how many people probably applied I do feel some sense of relief (however attenuated). Does anyone have any recommendations for what a waitlisted applicant can/should do to maximize their chances of acceptance off the waitlist?

Same here. I guess since I've been accepted already to one school, I don't feel as bad. It does give me a sense of relief. I was wondering when I would receive another admissions decision. Hah!

In terms of increasing your chances, I'm not sure how that would work exactly. Wouldn't it be that if someone who was accepted decides to reject the offer, they would pick someone from the waitlist? If anyone can clear that up, that'd be great because I'm not really sure either

4 hours ago, ghost-enthusiast said:

That's freaking awesome! CONGRATS! Well deserved 👍

Edited by The Maritime Scholar

@Bopie5dying out here with this Yale stuff. Guess it makes some sort of sense, but I didn't think the combined program would take significantly longer than English itself...Film and Media Studies dept. come through!!!

feel like I can't even enjoy the results page spicing up again after a lull in insults slung

Edited by robertsona_grad