Hahah exactly. Would be so happy to about-face on this very point. Please give me the chance to abandon wholly my previous stance, ye grad schools. I would lunge at the chance to end up as TheGradCafe.com’s most infamous hypocrite

Edited by robertsona_grad
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In at Davis!!! My first English acceptance of this cycle. Really exciting and particularly validating since I was rejected from their program in my last app cycle. I'm so happy! Funding details to com

Anyone else getting this weird message on their pending applications or is it just me? Guessing this is a hint from the adcoms that I should refresh a few more times

I got into my first MA program!!! I know most of y'all are PhD applicants, but this is so huge for me!! I got offered a teaching assistantship for two years!!!! This means I can move out of my parents

Posted Images

Emailed my current program to check my status and got waitlisted! (this isn't a surprise as since I did my undergrad there as well, I had to appeal to apply and figured I'd be waitlisted). I feel at least a little better knowing at least my own program would waitlist me, LOL. 

51 minutes ago, cassidyaxx said:

Emailed my current program to check my status and got waitlisted! (this isn't a surprise as since I did my undergrad there as well, I had to appeal to apply and figured I'd be waitlisted). I feel at least a little better knowing at least my own program would waitlist me, LOL. 

You had to appeal to apply? That doesn't make sense to me - you clearly like UConn, and the school obviously knows that too. And you obviously have the credentials to be admitted there. Why WOULDN'T they want you to apply?? 

Just now, A Small Raven said:

You had to appeal to apply? That doesn't make sense to me - you clearly like UConn, and the school obviously knows that too. And you obviously have the credentials to be admitted there. Why WOULDN'T they want you to apply?? 

Oh yeah it wasn't on the part of the department! In my experience, the department there has been very lovely towards me and I've met many kind professors who actually encouraged me to appeal to apply (and I'd be willing to talk with anyone accepted to UConn about my experience there, btw!) It is a sort of unwritten rule by the graduate school that the department can't extend offers to people who have already received two degrees from there. Basically I just had to write a short statement explaining why I still wanted to attend UConn and what personal reasons I had that would make it viable for me to get my third degree from there. They unanimously decided that they would accept my application though, so it worked out :) 

I have really loved following and being apart of this thread and you guys have been very great and supportive. I was really heartbroken because I was rejected from Duke Lit after an interview, but the next day (while in tears and being absolutely SURE I was going to be shut out) I got an email I was accepted to Emory's Philosophy program! I know this isn't a philosophy thread (I applied to both Phil and Comp Lit), but I thought I would share to encourage everyone not to count themselves out and keep your head up! (i feel really silly for letting the stress get to me before I had heard back from almost half of my programs). It ain't over until it's over ❤

On 2/10/2021 at 2:28 PM, cassidyaxx said:

Jeez, I'm really losing my mind bc I feel like I just don't hear back from anyone lol. Could you let me know if you hear anything? good luck :)

Never got an email response but just got an automated email to check the portal and it was a rejection, dang it! Did you hear back?

11 minutes ago, R Westy said:

Never got an email response but just got an automated email to check the portal and it was a rejection, dang it! Did you hear back?

Sorry I wanted to update but have been in class- yeah I got an email back this afternoon and then the automated email followed shortly after that. Also a rejection 😕 

Just now, cassidyaxx said:

Sorry I wanted to update but have been in class- yeah I got an email back this afternoon and then the automated email followed shortly after that. Also a rejection 😕 

Ah well, I’ll keep my fingers crossed for us to hear some better news soon!

39 minutes ago, semiotic_mess said:

I have really loved following and being apart of this thread and you guys have been very great and supportive. I was really heartbroken because I was rejected from Duke Lit after an interview, but the next day (while in tears and being absolutely SURE I was going to be shut out) I got an email I was accepted to Emory's Philosophy program! I know this isn't a philosophy thread (I applied to both Phil and Comp Lit), but I thought I would share to encourage everyone not to count themselves out and keep your head up! (i feel really silly for letting the stress get to me before I had heard back from almost half of my programs). It ain't over until it's over ❤

Congrats!!!

22 minutes ago, inquisitive-reader said:

Congratulations to all who received good news in this most recent round of results!!! 

Has anyone heard anything from/about UCLA and Hopkins? Judging from previous years, it seems that their results are overdue...

Nope, heard nothing from either. I think one or two UCLA acceptanced were boarded though....😕

Edit--oops, just realized I opened the wrong tab of GradCafe threads I keep open 25/7. I applied to both places for Comp Lit.

Edited by angrychalupa
2 hours ago, Not_a_Robot22 said:

Looks like another wave of rejections were sent out by Davis today, anyone else still haven’t heard anything? Wondering whether I still have a shot if I never got an interview. 

Don’t take my word for it, but I would say it is still possible! I was accepted and I didn’t have to interview, though I don’t think they do interviews anyway. Good luck!!

5 hours ago, inquisitive-reader said:

Has anyone heard anything from/about UCLA and Hopkins? Judging from previous years, it seems that their results are overdue...

I'm waiting on Hopkins as well (no news), but it looks like last year they didn't get back to people until the 2/14-15... so at least a few more days until I'll truly get antsy

Hi all! I have been checking this forum for a bit, cheering with all your successes and showing solidarity behind the screen when things don't go as well. Quick question for those who have brought WUSTL into the conversation...I have not received anything so far but I have talked with the admin. I know that I did not receive an offer (lol) and was not in those who received the waitlist couple of days ago, but the admin told me that my application was ranked high. So, are they just keeping it to see how many with give up their offers or did they just forgot to reject? any thoughts would be appreciated!

On 2/10/2021 at 3:03 PM, Magic Lantern said:

According to the results page, Yale only takes 3 applicants this year, and Stanford only takes 2. I'm starting to think that this might be the case for most literature programs this year, unfortunately. Spent my day thinking about other (nonexistent) career paths and potentially reapplying next year. 😕

Where did you see that Stanford only took 2?!

2 hours ago, elliec said:

Someone posted on the results page that one of their acceptance emails for stanford said there were 9 accepted this year.  So I don't think the stat mentioned by the other poster is reliable info.

2 hours ago, elliec said:

22 minutes ago, 1 Pint of Ricotta said:

Someone posted on the results page that one of their acceptance emails for stanford said there were 9 accepted this year.  So I don't think the stat mentioned by the other poster is reliable info.

I believe the 2 figure was for comp lit, not English, hence the confusion. 

You can see on the results page for comp lit that someone was apparently told this by their POI who they contacted.

Edited by queenofcarrotflowers

I just got accepted to UC San Diego. I can't really explain how relieved and proud I feel. Last year was a nightmare and I got shut out of every single program, but this year, I published articles, gave more presentations and workshopped the living hell out of my SOP and it really paid off. I'm just beside myself with happiness.

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse Lana said:

I just got accepted to UC San Diego. I can't really explain how relieved and proud I feel. Last year was a nightmare and I got shut out of every single program, but this year, I published articles, gave more presentations and workshopped the living hell out of my SOP and it really paid off. I'm just beside myself with happiness.

Yayyyyy!!! That's incredible! I'm so happy for you!!!