7 minutes ago, queenofcarrotflowers said:

I guess it's typical of lit students to be particularly sensitive to this, but a nicely-worded rejection in an email from an actual person really softens the blow of rejection in comparison to a poorly-worded, generic letter from no particular person posted on a portal. Especially when that letter costs $120 lol

Agreed! Though I got a rejection yesterday and my name was in a different font than the rest of the letter because someone had clearly copied/pasted it from a list and I laughed a little (while trying not to cry, obviously).

In the meantime, I composed a very silly rejection letter written by my anxiety disorder that I sent to McSweeney's and, whether or not it gets published, I will be sharing it with the group to ease the pain of my inevitable shut out.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In at Davis!!! My first English acceptance of this cycle. Really exciting and particularly validating since I was rejected from their program in my last app cycle. I'm so happy! Funding details to com

Anyone else getting this weird message on their pending applications or is it just me? Guessing this is a hint from the adcoms that I should refresh a few more times

I got into my first MA program!!! I know most of y'all are PhD applicants, but this is so huge for me!! I got offered a teaching assistantship for two years!!!! This means I can move out of my parents

Posted Images

I'm fairly certain I'm not getting in anywhere this term which is OKAY but I wanted to get the forum's advice on something. 

In applying, I've realized I have a better focus of where I want to be and would apply to less schools next cycle to be more focused. Is it rude of me to ask for critique from a program who rejected me? Should I reach out to a professor who I had briefly messaged about applications for the program to ask for that? I want to have guidance for my next steps but don't know what to do. 

10 minutes ago, missmarianne said:

In the meantime, I composed a very silly rejection letter written by my anxiety disorder that I sent to McSweeney's and, whether or not it gets published, I will be sharing it with the group to ease the pain of my inevitable shut out.

Wonderful idea!

4 minutes ago, AnxiousBean said:

I'm fairly certain I'm not getting in anywhere this term which is OKAY but I wanted to get the forum's advice on something. 

In applying, I've realized I have a better focus of where I want to be and would apply to less schools next cycle to be more focused. Is it rude of me to ask for critique from a program who rejected me? Should I reach out to a professor who I had briefly messaged about applications for the program to ask for that? I want to have guidance for my next steps but don't know what to do. 

I can’t imagine something like this being counted as rude. Although in many cases, you may not be rewarded with a workable critique. 

I regularly go back to my PoIs for feedbacks on rejection, btw.

13 minutes ago, AnxiousBean said:

When I was shut out in the 2019 cycle, I reached out to all the programs asking for feedback. It's not rude, but you really have to be careful not to make it look like "Why the hell did you reject me?" and instead make it more like "I genuinely want to approve and would appreciate feedback if you can give it" (even if you're feeling both ways haha). 

Fwiw, 6/7 schools I applied to said they couldn't give feedback bc they have too many applicants, and the one school that did give feedback was almost entirely positive. 

28 minutes ago, missmarianne said:

PLEASE post that!  Love that idea, I would post a copy in my room!

58 minutes ago, Quickening said:

I think it’s safe to say that everyone still waiting on CUNY is trying to read the tea leaves and figure out where they stand and why. To that end, I think our respective readings might be made easier if we mentioned our areas of interest: I’m pretty broadly working in post-45 novel, ecocriticism, postcolonial, theories of the avant-garde, and an irregular category that doesn’t really exist but which I’ll call the rhetoric of finance. 

hahaha - happy to read the tea leaves with you. I'm (primarily) an Americanist with a large focus on the nineteenth-century and American Gothic novels - however, I also write on adaptation that takes me into other periods (traditional forms of adaptation and emerging - fanfiction,etc.)

53 minutes ago, queenofcarrotflowers said:

I guess it's typical of lit students to be particularly sensitive to this, but a nicely-worded rejection in an email from an actual person really softens the blow of rejection in comparison to a poorly-worded, generic letter from no particular person posted on a portal. Especially when that letter costs $120 lol

I actually have really appreciated the schools that just email the rejection. I don't mind the portal logins, but every second of extra anxiety counts! lol! 

Reached out to Notre Dame just to see if there was an estimated date they might send out more decisions. I received a nice email back from the grad coordinator stating that I was within the top 10 applicants of 20th c British and Irish literature! She said she expects she'll have more concrete news by "the middle of next week." I'm hoping for another waitlist, at least! 

5 minutes ago, cassidyaxx said:

Reached out to Notre Dame just to see if there was an estimated date they might send out more decisions. I received a nice email back from the grad coordinator stating that I was within the top 10 applicants of 20th c British and Irish literature! She said she expects she'll have more concrete news by "the middle of next week." I'm hoping for another waitlist, at least! 

keeping my fingers crossed for you !!

On 2/17/2021 at 12:40 PM, Lighthouse Lana said:

Anyone else following along with the U Rochester Visual Studies drama??? It's super crazy that the department JUST decided to cancel all admissions. I'm just hoping they don't pull that crap with the English PhD program as well.

Assuming it isn't funding related, I doubt VCS' actions will have any bearing on the English department.  They are wholly separate departments in just about every way.  I have no info on their decision process at all (I graduated in 2019 and am working at a school on the other side of the country now), but am more than happy to answer any questions people might have about U of R, living in Rochester, etc.

2 hours ago, cassidyaxx said:

Yay! Hope you get great news next week!!

I was the person asking about UNebraska on results.. wanted to move my question here, because it might be less annoying. 

I am not sure which portal to check for my status or if it posts on ApplyWeb (does anyone else have a school app on here + know how to view results?). I also checked the MyRed app and I can't see anything. I'm assuming it's a rejection as I haven't heard and the app date was 12/1 - but I can't find the letter! (a more optimistic version of me would think waitlist, haha). 

If anyone knows about this school or has results from them I would super appreciate it :) 

4 hours ago, cassidyaxx said:

congrats omg thats amazing!!! what a nice thing to hear today! 

4 hours ago, clara salmon said:

Yay! Hope you get great news next week!!

2 hours ago, dogeared said:

congrats omg thats amazing!!! what a nice thing to hear today! 

thank you!!! It was somewhat uplifting :)

11 hours ago, brockdenbrown802 said:

hahaha - happy to read the tea leaves with you. I'm (primarily) an Americanist with a large focus on the nineteenth-century and American Gothic novels - however, I also write on adaptation that takes me into other periods (traditional forms of adaptation and emerging - fanfiction,etc.)

I actually have really appreciated the schools that just email the rejection. I don't mind the portal logins, but every second of extra anxiety counts! lol! 

I see rejections posted by CUNY, but I didn't get one yet?! Waves of rejection? 
But anyway, haha, to join the reading of tea leaves... I'm interested in the relationship between films/ popular culture and queer feminist theory regarding questions of desire and fantasy. My focus is desire, and its uneasy relationship with "politics," using an archive of films (and debates around them), cultural blow ups and queer feminist theory. 

I applied to CUNY and have not received any communication from the department. According to the decisions forum, rejections were sent out, but my application still says “submitted.” I’ve tried reaching out to the program but have received no response. Looking at the history of CUNY decisions, this seems to happen to a few people each year. Has this happened to anyone (or is this currently happening to anyone) on here, and if so, can you share what happened? Were you waitlisted? Were you accepted? Or were you, unfortunately, rejected much later?

Hi @Shake829, this is the case for me as well, and I know at least three other people over in the 2021 Applicants thread mentioned that they haven't received any updates either! I'm afraid I don't have much information to share, but I can definitely affirm that you aren't alone. 

okay so i just got an acceptance e-mail from alberta's ma program. anyone have any solid information about their funding package? they are offering me 20k for the first year (scholarship), but it says i'd have to reapply next year for funding. since i cannot go if i do not have guaranteed funding for two years, this is kind of bittersweet. also, would i still have to pay tuition? i'm really confused. the letter says i should get back to them by march 19, which is also too soon imo. 

i'd be happy if anyone had any info on this!

2 minutes ago, silk said:

okay so i just got an acceptance e-mail from alberta's ma program. anyone have any solid information about their funding package? they are offering me 20k for the first year (scholarship), but it says i'd have to reapply next year for funding. since i cannot go if i do not have guaranteed funding for two years, this is kind of bittersweet. also, would i still have to pay tuition? i'm really confused. the letter says i should get back to them by march 19, which is also too soon imo. 

i'd be happy if anyone had any info on this!

Congrats! 

If it were me, I’d probably seek clarifications from them directly. Good luck!

Image.jpeg

I know technically the acceptance into the MA program makes this an acceptance letter, but has anyone ever told Fordham that--although admittedly humorous--it's somewhat tone-deaf to include an overlay of celebratory streamers and confetti when rejecting someone from a PhD program.

And as someone who just posted an edited decision page as a joke, I wanna be clear: this is not a joke or an edited photo, it's actually what their decision letter looks like.

Edited by SirGhostus