9 minutes ago, mashatheicebear said:

This was such a total delight to read. Thank you! This brightened my evening, as I obsessively check my portals to see if annnnyyyyyone is ready/willing to reject me to my face...

Thank you so much for reading! I'm super touched that everyone is taking the time out to look at this in the midst of a tough season for so many of us. ❤️ Hoping things turn around for you soon!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In at Davis!!! My first English acceptance of this cycle. Really exciting and particularly validating since I was rejected from their program in my last app cycle. I'm so happy! Funding details to com

Anyone else getting this weird message on their pending applications or is it just me? Guessing this is a hint from the adcoms that I should refresh a few more times

I got into my first MA program!!! I know most of y'all are PhD applicants, but this is so huge for me!! I got offered a teaching assistantship for two years!!!! This means I can move out of my parents

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Hard times! said:

Hahaha! This is brilliant! Thank you for this!

Is this presidential fitness test an actual test? I thought you had made it up but then the comments made me think it could just be something American! Well, reality is always stranger than 'satire'. The pun on fitness is spot on though!

'for the lolz pile' hahaha! The Pulitzer part struck a touchy chord-- the other day I had to play this chord to my father to rein in his 'hopes' (read 'delusions') for whenever I apply. He did discern that I was 'only a bit' (note 'only a bit'. parents and their faith in their genes! *tch and a long sigh*) out of tune amidst potential Nobel Prize winners and Pulitzer winners +_+

How I wish all ad comms read  this!

But you are not a bad egg, in a sarcastic vein or otherwise.

Thank you so, so much and YES. It's 100% a real test (or it was before 2012). I think there are sit-ups/push-ups/pull-ups/a mile-run. They tested us on this in my elementary school and--like many future grad students--my only athletic skill at the time was deftly avoiding the dodge balls. I adore your dad's complete faith in you!  Sounds like my mom! The way she shared this article on her socials started out, "My brilliant daughter..." 🤣 I'm fully expecting all of us to--at the very least--be nominated for Nobels/Pulitzers some day. ❤️❤️❤️ 

6 hours ago, missmarianne said:

Thank you so, so much and YES. It's 100% a real test (or it was before 2012). I think there are sit-ups/push-ups/pull-ups/a mile-run. They tested us on this in my elementary school and--like many future grad students--my only athletic skill at the time was deftly avoiding the dodge balls. I adore your dad's complete faith in you!  Sounds like my mom! The way she shared this article on her socials started out, "My brilliant daughter..." 🤣 I'm fully expecting all of us to--at the very least--be nominated for Nobels/Pulitzers some day. ❤️❤️❤️ 

Haha! That's very ableist indeed. My only athletic skill back then was and still is running for life (provided the safe corner was/is about three minutes away from the starting point. huh!).

Your mom seems justified though-- your article is hilarious and poignant at the same time! I am sure many grad students would love to see their greatest insecurities materialise like this, given the overwhelming gloom of the application period.

My father's optimism is more along the lines of denial. I plan to apply for Fall 2022 and I do anticipate a shutout (at least I won't be crestfallen and after having seen so many brilliant scholars the burden of rejection would somewhat be more bearable) but managing disappointed parents is nothing short of disaster management! Their expectations have a ridiculous social dimension and what was meant to be collateral damage takes the stage! You manage their disappointment and their lost opportunities to brag about their children's still-unheard-of potential.

Just now, missmarianne said:

Out at Michigan. Rejected from 6/7 schools with a waitlist at Iowa. Feeling bewildered, angry, and heartbroken. 

I feel this hard. Out at Michigan as well, with only one waitlist possibility (UVA). I'm curious to know how many Michigan ultimately accepted this cycle...

Okay ALSO. SERIOUSLY. My status never left In Review at UT Austin and I keep seeing people saying they got status updates like, "Your application has been forwarded to the admissions committee for review" and this never happened for me. Did anyone who has been accepted to UT Austin NOT get the "your application has been forwarded to the admissions committee for review" status?

Officially out at Michigan.

Was expecting it to hurt, but I think the weight of all these rejections, and the time and effort I spent putting my life aside for the sakes of a grand total of absolutely nothing, has suddenly hit me with a ton of bricks. 

4 minutes ago, queenofcarrotflowers said:

Officially out at Michigan.

Was expecting it to hurt, but I think the weight of all these rejections, and the time and effort I spent putting my life aside for the sakes of a grand total of absolutely nothing, has suddenly hit me with a ton of bricks. 

It's truly a tough year. I do think that's the case. I don't think I've seen a year where so many, many talented people got rejected by every single school they applied to. 

30 minutes ago, missmarianne said:

It's truly a tough year. I do think that's the case. I don't think I've seen a year where so many, many talented people got rejected by every single school they applied to. 

It’s pretty shocking. Two of the smartest folks I know had to apply twice, even in non covid times, so I’m reassuring myself with the fact that it’s hard in general and nearly impossible this year. Still sucks tho! At least we have good memes and satire (your amazing essay) to get us through. 

15 minutes ago, R Westy said:

It’s pretty shocking. Two of the smartest folks I know had to apply twice, even in non covid times, so I’m reassuring myself with the fact that it’s hard in general and nearly impossible this year. Still sucks tho! At least we have good memes and satire (your amazing essay) to get us through. 

Thank you! It does seem like there are quite a few people left here who didn't get in anywhere and I don't think I saw that last year. Really crushed that I didn't get in during the one year that they dropped the GRE.

59 minutes ago, missmarianne said:

Okay ALSO. SERIOUSLY. My status never left In Review at UT Austin and I keep seeing people saying they got status updates like, "Your application has been forwarded to the admissions committee for review" and this never happened for me. Did anyone who has been accepted to UT Austin NOT get the "your application has been forwarded to the admissions committee for review" status?

I've been hearing very different things on this, tbh, and I don't think it's a good indication of how things will progress. Some people (like me, had 'admission committee' from pretty much day 1), other saw a change later, and others no movement at all. It's odd. 

Just now, Emailchecker said:

I've been hearing very different things on this, tbh, and I don't think it's a good indication of how things will progress. Some people (like me, had 'admission committee' from pretty much day 1), other saw a change later, and others no movement at all. It's odd. 

Other people who got in saw no change at all?? Thanks SO MUCH for replying. I'm trying not to feel preemptively haunted by the fact that they might not have read it or something because I sent it in two days before the due date. I have this dumb theory that they're looking at ONLY MY FIELD in the exact way that they hire people at my office which is in Georgia, and is a library, and is in NO WAY affiliated with UT Austin because TEA LEAVES. 🤣

As a sidenote, can I please please please ask anyone accepting the UT-Austin offer to get in touch (if they want to). I would love to make a start on being social with the cohort, even as/if we are passing some of the most anti-social times ever. I know we are attaching names to faces during the recruitment event, but why not earlier? 

5 minutes ago, Emailchecker said:

Honestly, I submitted 2 hours before the deadline. I think this way, too, a lot, all the time

Ahhhh! Okay. That makes me feel so much better! I started reading all these blogs about people submitting their stuff a month in advance and I 100% thought I'd screwed up. Really relieved to know they're not just going to toss out my application now.

45 minutes ago, R Westy said:

I think it's always helpful to remember rejection isn't any indication of how smart someone is. :)

1 hour ago, NervousYolk said:

Still waiting on my formal rejection letter from my last school, but it sucks that i'm more stressed about letting my references who wrote my recommendation letters and the professors from the programs that I spoke with know about me being shut out again this cycle orz

Painfully relatable.

7 minutes ago, j.j.pizza said:

Painfully relatable.

Did no one else cry over email to their profs at the first few rejections?? 🤣 Congrats on your emotional strength. I even cried to an editor who did NOT ask for that. Glad everyone else is keeping it together!

On 3/2/2021 at 2:21 PM, missmarianne said:

GUYS! IT'S HERE! IT'S HERE!!!! THE BABY ARTICLE IS OUT IN THE WORLD NOW!

I do hope some of y'all can relate to this as well. 

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/a-graduate-school-rejection-letter-as-written-by-my-anxiety-disorder-at-3-am

This was so wonderful-- Congratulations!