• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In at Davis!!! My first English acceptance of this cycle. Really exciting and particularly validating since I was rejected from their program in my last app cycle. I'm so happy! Funding details to com

Anyone else getting this weird message on their pending applications or is it just me? Guessing this is a hint from the adcoms that I should refresh a few more times

I got into my first MA program!!! I know most of y'all are PhD applicants, but this is so huge for me!! I got offered a teaching assistantship for two years!!!! This means I can move out of my parents

Posted Images

22 hours ago, MariusTheEpicurean said:

I just turned down acceptances at CUNY, UT Austin, and University of Tulsa. Hoping this helps someone! I'm having mixed feelings about it all, but I'm relieved that this chapter is over. 

If you don't mind me asking, what are your areas of focus?

18 hours ago, maddykrob said:

I know Penn State has been historically bad with response times, but have they ever been this bad?

Right?! It seems pretty rude to make people pay a stupid amount of money just to never hear back... I just emailed them again to ask what's going on.

1 hour ago, Magic Lantern said:

Is this normal if I still have not heard anything from a program I applied to in December? It's a US program so I assume they go by the 4/15 deadline...

No, I think you should reach out ASAP. All initial decisions should be made by now (though there were posts here recently about Penn State abhorrently doing rolling admissions).

I finally got rejected from Penn State. How freaking ridiculous. So disrespectful to other programs for taking this long. I can't believe I waited this long for them before making a final decision. I should've accepted at OSU literally a month ago. But whatever. I AM PROUD TO BE #BUCKEYEBOUND! 

My season has formally ended with a rejection from UNLV yesterday. I have signed with UCSD for Literatures in English! Thank you for all the encouragement and camaraderie and just the overall open-heartedness here. I wish everyone the best--those who are off to grad school and those applying next year. Now the real work begins 😂

6a/7r

• 5 months later...

Would anyone (among the ones who are already in gradschool) be willing to share their writing sample? It has left me terribly jittery and I don't have a sample to fall back on. What kind of writing gets/may get you into gradschool is what I am trying to figure out. I am an international applicant and am already struggling with this whole application rigmarole but I guess it's the writing sample that can most definitely make or mar you. Any help, in the way of samples, (be it dissertation chapter or a published paper or an initial draft) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much! 

50 minutes ago, Hard times! said:

Would anyone (among the ones who are already in gradschool) be willing to share their writing sample? It has left me terribly jittery and I don't have a sample to fall back on. What kind of writing gets/may get you into gradschool is what I am trying to figure out. I am an international applicant and am already struggling with this whole application rigmarole but I guess it's the writing sample that can most definitely make or mar you. Any help, in the way of samples, (be it dissertation chapter or a published paper or an initial draft) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much! 

THIS. Would anyone be so kind as to share their writing samples and personal statements? (Don't worry, I'm not applying for programs in English, so I won't be in competition with you in any way in the future 😊) Thank you!!!

My personal statement is already kicking around the forum. This was my writing sample: https://www.academia.edu/12320500/A_Cistercian_Copy_of_Eadmers_Life_of_Anselm_BHL_0526_from_Northern_England_and_the_Canonization_of_Anselm_of_Canterbury_by_Thomas_Becket

(Whoops, this is lit, the above is history - personal statement should still be fine)

On 10/16/2021 at 6:44 AM, Alyson said:

THIS. Would anyone be so kind as to share their writing samples and personal statements? (Don't worry, I'm not applying for programs in English, so I won't be in competition with you in any way in the future 😊) Thank you!!!

I'd be happy to share with you and/or @Hard times! some stuff I have if you find it helpful! I'm a first-year in an English Lit program. I've got my writing samples, personal statements, and a draft of a publication that is *very* long in the works 😅 Just DM me !

Does anyone have any insights into Rochester's lit programme? So far it's my best fit given my joint interest in visual studies and time studies.

However, I do remember reading somewhere that Rochester never bothered to respond to certain applications-- not even a rejection letter. Was that even Rochester I wonder! Any red flags and I won't apply because my circumstances are pretty straitened already-- I can apply to a meagre 7-8.

Thanks a lot!