6 hours ago, CyberHarpie said:

For me at least, late is relative. If there's still a month before your application is due and you've done your research on the prof and why you want to work with him/her, then it probably wouldn't hurt. If your deadline is next week, however, that might be cutting it a bit too close.

I guess it depends on what you're intending to get out of the potential exchange as well. Most professors are unlikely to have the time at this stage to entertain lengthy requests for consideration or discuss their work in detail, but I've been advised by others more experienced than myself that a short "are you taking in new students" could be a lifesaver, especially if a particular professor's presence is a big factor in your choice to apply to a program. All the best!

Thanks for the reply!!

Also, these days I've heard that for the programs in the US students would tend to contact professors after submitting the application, while for the programs in the UK people prefer to contact them before the application? But I always assumed we should contact before wherever? Or is it also possible to email them later? Now I'm confused...

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi everyone. Thought I'd log back into the good ol' GradCafe to see how this year's application cycle is looking. If anyone wants, I'd be happy to share my SOP from last year's cycle. Just shoot me a

Just wanted to give some info about how the covid crisis is affecting graduate schools and future admissions. In Yale's case, what we know now is that individual departments will have autonomy when gi

First post woohoo! Hi everyone, after going through one application cycle in a socially distanced bubble before those things were even popular and getting rejected all around, I've decided that I

Programs in the UK, at least when I was applying, accept you directly to the dissertation phase so you don't do any coursework. Given that, it's expected that you have a clearer idea of what you're going to work on and for some programs this involves figuring out who your advisor would be or if there's faculty to support you. So it makes sense that in the UK you contact the potential advisor in advance whereas in the US there's no expectation to do that because you would be spending 2-3 years on other stuff before you actually work with them anyway.

On 11/21/2020 at 4:29 PM, The Hoosier Oxonian said:

I did list the other places I'd applied on all the apps that asked for it, and I don't think it made a difference to the outcome. My best guess is that schools want that information because they want to get a sense of where their competition is (I know for sure that all the schools I turned down asked me to confirm where I'd decided to go instead), but I don't think adcomms are under any illusions about whether their applicants are also applying to many other programs. So I wouldn't worry about it!

Thanks for the info!