Jump to content

2021 Application Thread


Recommended Posts

Also curious whether the Chicago admits who were notified of acceptance by their POIs earlier last week received a more official notice from the department on Friday.  From the results page, it looked like the waitlist notifications were semi-official emails from the department that went out all at once.  I would have expected the department to give all the admitted applicants notice at the same time.  If they did, then it's clearly all over.  But if not, there may still be hope that certain POIs are just jumping the gun (as the post from the Chicago undergrad on Friday suggested).

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just a reminder to everyone who is applying this year. You had a difficult first half of 2020. We, faculty, did too. Grad students did too (many lost summer stipends, many doing international res

Hey folks, I have gotten a bunch of messages since posting my one acceptance, asking about my application process, etc. and I am happy to provide any feedback and answer questions whenever I can (as l

Hey there, I imagine that you must be very disappointed right now. My suggestions are 1. Take some deep breathes. 2. Disconnect from social media/your phone/the internet for a while. 3. Do something t

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, RMR31 said:

Also curious whether the Chicago admits who were notified of acceptance by their POIs earlier last week received a more official notice from the department on Friday.  From the results page, it looked like the waitlist notifications were semi-official emails from the department that went out all at once.  I would have expected the department to give all the admitted applicants notice at the same time.  If they did, then it's clearly all over.  But if not, there may still be hope that certain POIs are just jumping the gun (as the post from the Chicago undergrad on Friday suggested).

I received an unofficial admit email earlier in the week from my POI and an official one from the department chair Friday. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, aco2 said:

I received an unofficial admit email earlier in the week from my POI and an official one from the department chair Friday. 

 

19 minutes ago, baseballboy said:

Thanks for the heads up. Was this from the history department or an independent HOS program?

Out of curiosity (I'm assuming at this point that I am neither waitlisted nor accepted to the program at U Chicago so this really doesn't affect my life beyond wanting to know), did your contact mention an official History Day visit date?  I'm just curious about whether or not they're going to attempt one this year given the pandemic and the restrictions that the city has been placing and lifting with regard to visitors to the city from certain areas.

Edited by TagRendar
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TagRendar said:

 

Out of curiosity (I'm assuming at this point that I am neither waitlisted nor accepted to the program at U Chicago so this really doesn't affect my life beyond wanting to know), did your contact mention an official History Day visit date?  I'm just curious about whether or not they're going to attempt one this year given the pandemic and the restrictions that the city has been placing and lifting with regard to visitors to the city from certain areas.

I don’t think they’re doing one. Sounds like it might be some virtual programming instead. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, generalstrike said:

I can officially verify that Chicago is off the table.

POI.PNG

So if we've received no contact via email from POI/department, we can assume rejection, I take it?

I imagine it'll take the portal another week or two to update.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, scarletwitch said:

Really hoping for some good news from Wisconsin today or whenever they release this week! 

Reckon Princeton, Duke, Emory & Illinois Urbana may also be releasing decisions this week...(hopefully!)

Do you think Wisconsin-Madison will be today? 

I am very nervous after Yale didn't work out (it was the University where I had the most contact and the best fit with my POI) and Wisconsin was my second choice. 

I should probably disclaim here that I am an Africanist (not African-American history) and that I was warned that Africanist places would be the first ones to go with COVID-19 cuts

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, brownrose95 said:

Do you think Wisconsin-Madison will be today? 

I am very nervous after Yale didn't work out (it was the University where I had the most contact and the best fit with my POI) and Wisconsin was my second choice. 

I should probably disclaim here that I am an Africanist (not African-American history) and that I was warned that Africanist places would be the first ones to go with COVID-19 cuts

It's possible they could be today - it's definitely some point this week so we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, scarletwitch said:

It's possible they could be today - it's definitely some point this week so we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed! 

I am glad you're willing to take the blame for our disappointment if the UW-M decisions don't release this week! Hehe.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, exitiumax said:

I am glad you're willing to take the blame for our disappointment if the UW-M decisions don't release this week! Hehe.

The graduate admissions coordinator literally said to me on Friday decisions will be released this week. 

Edited by scarletwitch
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Boarskin said:

Thanks for sharing. Hoping that they can send out their rejection letters sooner. 

Agreed - it’d be great if places could send out decisions over a shorter time period rather than making those not accepted wait for over a week or more to know the official decisions. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, cakeandcats said:

I am hoping that Yale will post updates to the portal soon, one way or another. Also hoping that Princeton and Georgetown will be releasing their results soon. This is such a struggle.

Feel like Princeton will probably be this week - historically it’s always been second week of Feb and their own website says mid-February for decisions, so Thurs or Fri would be a good guess? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cakeandcats said:

I am hoping that Yale will post updates to the portal soon, one way or another. Also hoping that Princeton and Georgetown will be releasing their results soon. This is such a struggle.

I know!!! I received both my UC notifications after 10 p.m. via email 😂 so I'm on edge. So ready to just write off Yale and move forward with the others.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, HRL said:

Looks like some Wisconsin decisions just posted on the results page...

Yup... pretty nervous now...! Guessing it’s another one I can count out. Pretty resigned to the likelihood that I won’t be accepted into a PhD program this year and will have to accrue more student debt getting my MPhil (although I’m very thankful for the place) Hoping next cycle won’t be as brutal. Congrats to those who got in! 

Edited by scarletwitch
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kchistory said:

Hi everyone! Did anyone here receive an acceptance from UC Davis? I'd love to connect if you did (and especially if you think you're planning on attending!).

I applied to Davis but haven’t heard anything, do you mind sharing your field? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.