Jump to content

2021 Application Thread


Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, sonnybunny said:

Hi all, wondering if it's appropriate to send an inquiry to DGS at this point about my waitlist status. I sent an email to DGS in March when first waitlisted, reaffirming my interest (got a very positive response, he said there was a "distinct possibility" they could make me an offer.) Sent an inquiry 10 days ago, but received no response. Is it appropriate to send an email now with the April 15th deadline looming? Thanks for the advice.

Don't worry.  Wait until after April 15th.  You'll usually be given a little time to accept the offer if they make it to you then.

 

@bakesealactually, having a full-funded studentship at Oxford is a *very* big deal and possibly just as good as getting a PhD acceptance at Berkeley. Had you gotten into Berkeley, I would have advised you to defer your admissions if you could and take advantage of this studentship. (I actually had to explain to my non-academic family that my cousin's funding for Cambridge was like winning a lottery and should be celebrated. Not just "oh, that's nice that they got merit aid.")  *Everyone* knows that when reading your CV for applications of any kind going forward. CONGRATS!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just a reminder to everyone who is applying this year. You had a difficult first half of 2020. We, faculty, did too. Grad students did too (many lost summer stipends, many doing international res

Hey folks, I have gotten a bunch of messages since posting my one acceptance, asking about my application process, etc. and I am happy to provide any feedback and answer questions whenever I can (as l

Hey there, I imagine that you must be very disappointed right now. My suggestions are 1. Take some deep breathes. 2. Disconnect from social media/your phone/the internet for a while. 3. Do something t

Posted Images

Anyone heard anything from CUNY? I had gotten nothing from them so I finally inquired a week ago to my potential adviser (who is also on the admissions committee). He said that they'd only extended two offers of admission thus far (for 7 total funded spots) and implied that neither of them had accepted at this point and they were waiting for the April 15 deadline before pulling the trigger on the waitlist. He was very prompt in answering my email (sent it a bit before midnight and had a response early the next morning 8 hours later or so). He said my application was "competitive and still in the running". I haven't gotten accepted anywhere this session so I'm really anxious about an offer from CUNY hopefully coming through. A top 40 program with respected faculty in such an important area for research really does sound good. If I could get any perspective on my shot at hearing some good news this week or next it would be much appreciated.

Also, I've heard nothing from South Carolina, but I've seen they've had both admissions and rejections posted on the portal. I messaged their graduate studies director to inquire about my app's status last week as well but no reply yet. Any info on what they're up to would be much obliged as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Although I am still technically waitlisted at Berkeley, as another person posted, it does not look like they are going to pull anyone off the waitlist this cycle. This was my last hope this cycle and to say Im bummed would be an understatement. Im prepared to apply again next cycle, but Im curious to see if anyone knows the trend of schools still requiring the GRE next cycle. Anybody hear anything about requiring it again or letting it go for good?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2021 at 8:17 AM, sonnybunny said:

Hi all, wondering if it's appropriate to send an inquiry to DGS at this point about my waitlist status. I sent an email to DGS in March when first waitlisted, reaffirming my interest (got a very positive response, he said there was a "distinct possibility" they could make me an offer.) Sent an inquiry 10 days ago, but received no response. Is it appropriate to send an email now with the April 15th deadline looming? Thanks for the advice.

Just my opinion--I know it's hard, but I would just wait until after the 15th. They'll know whether they can offer you anything then.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2021 at 12:19 PM, Manana said:

I was just waitlisted by EUI. Actually received a bit of a weird, convoluted email, saying tat I had been accepted but due to the low amount of international student grants I had been placed on the reserve list. So essentially waitlisted

So in a bit of a delayed reaction I have realized maybe I should reply to this email? I mean they didn't ask for a reply for me but maybe it's the proper thing to do? Would appreciate any advice on that. I get so confused when it gets to email etiquette sometimes, especially in other cultures.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also can I just vent- I have been accepted to three programs but don't have news about funding from either. I thought the second time around would be easier because I have the experience and much lower expectations, but I still find myself extremely anxious and having a hard time dealing with so much uncertainty. Especially as going to any of these programs means moving to a foreign country (and continent) so it's... a bit of a big thing to find out last minute.

Edited by Manana
Link to post
Share on other sites

@MananaRegarding the EUI, I am in the same situation. I think you should reply to the email. I did it and I think we have a chance. They are trying to find funding for those admitted as international students. However, they don't say anything about the deadline for an answer about our case.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Maciel said:

@MananaRegarding the EUI, I am in the same situation. I think you should reply to the email. I did it and I think we have a chance. They are trying to find funding for those admitted as international students. However, they don't say anything about the deadline for an answer about our case.

Thank you! I have written to them now. Here's hoping we will be classmates this fall

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Manana said:

Thank you! I have written to them now. Here's hoping we will be classmates this fall

I think a good question would be until when they can tell us if they got the funding or not, but I really hope to see you and my classmates in Florence. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I *just* received an offer from Berkeley from their waitlist. I am absolutely thrilled, but also extremely stressed. I don't have the funding details yet, just word from my POI that I'd be receiving the official offer either tonight or tomorrow. 

I had really gotten ready to take the Oxford offer and vibe in England for a year. But now I have a real decision to make! It's very stressful but I feel extremely lucky to have these choices, after everything that's happened this year. 

If anyone has any advice, I'd welcome it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, dr. telkanuru said:

Is Berkeley offering you the $17k funding package or the $28k funding package?

So, this is still an open question. I haven't received the formal offer (I think I'll be getting it in the morning), so I think my decision will come down to whether or not they actually offer me a livable amount. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bakeseal said:

I *just* received an offer from Berkeley from their waitlist. I am absolutely thrilled, but also extremely stressed. I don't have the funding details yet, just word from my POI that I'd be receiving the official offer either tonight or tomorrow. 

I had really gotten ready to take the Oxford offer and vibe in England for a year. But now I have a real decision to make! It's very stressful but I feel extremely lucky to have these choices, after everything that's happened this year. 

If anyone has any advice, I'd welcome it. 

Congrats on this unofficial offer.  I'd se what the funding package looks like.  I would ALSO communicate that you have a full funding offer to attend Oxford for a year and see how they react.  $17K is definitely UNLIVABLE in the SF Bay Area. $28K is pushing it, but I'd consult the funding spreadsheet to see if that's typical.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone think it would be fair to say that by now the time for waitlist offers has expired, given it's more than ten days past April 15th, or is there still a chance? Do applicants usually get notified if the waitlist is being closed or if they won't be taken off it? Thanks all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/21/2021 at 11:13 PM, TMP said:

Congrats on this unofficial offer.  I'd se what the funding package looks like.  I would ALSO communicate that you have a full funding offer to attend Oxford for a year and see how they react.  $17K is definitely UNLIVABLE in the SF Bay Area. $28K is pushing it, but I'd consult the funding spreadsheet to see if that's typical.

I had already communicated the info about Oxford-- after which they offered me a spot in the program, but I can't defer the spot for a year. 

The offer they gave was for 26,000/year + 4,000 in summer funding each year. Which seems to be par for the course in their department, after talking with other grad students in the history department. They've only given me 24 hours to decide, but I think I'm going to accept the offer. Berkeley's a great program, and I've gotten much better vibes from faculty and students at Berkeley than from those I've spoken with at Oxford. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.