Got a verbal promise to have my rejection reversed—can I relax and celebrate?

croquemme

Question

After applying for a master's degree at the college where I work, I received a standard rejection notice. Since I thought I would apply again next year if I could improve my chances of admission, I emailed the department asking if I could get feedback on my application. The program chair agreed to talk with me and told me I was rejected for fit reasons, but after we talked, he said he would reverse his decision.

I'm waiting on a status update in the applicant portal and still just feeling anxious, like this can't be real. (When does this kind of thing ever happen?!) Is there a possibility that the acceptance won't actually come through, or do I need to chill out?

3 answers to this question

It ain't over til the...

Don't count your chickens before...

It's probably fine (I have no basis for saying that except for wanting to assuage your fears), but tbh if I were you I wouldn't celebrate until I got something in writing. I've been burned before on verbals. 

After a week or two, it might be reasonable to reach back out and ask when you can expect a formal offer or reversal of the decision. 

22 hours ago, croquemme said:

Just for future reference, in case anyone is curious: In this instance, an official offer did materialize. I'm in!

So happy for you!

Cheers and celebrations are in order!