Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Accepted to Lakehead, 3rd time applying to clinical programs. To people that are applying for the first time, second time, third time - Keep persevering. Keep volunteering, gain research experien

I got the email this afternoon and I am still in shock... I'm so grateful for this community -- I wish the best of luck to all of you ❤️😭 School: University of Ottawa Type: MA-PhD in Clinica

Reminder: you are all great even if it doesn’t work out 

Posted Images

19 hours ago, CateFace said:

I received an official rejection from UCalgary for clinical psyc today, which I knew was coming as I did not advance to open house as well as my application was never forwarded to the PI I was hoping to work with (not core faculty). 

On the other hand - I received an offer of admission to the UCalgary SACP program last night, which I will be accepting and am very happy about! 

Congratulations on your acceptance to the SACP program!! That's great news!

 

I checked my email and the Calgary admissions portal, and haven't received a rejection email/there's no admission decision ... I'm definitely expecting a rejection since I haven't been invited to interview, but it makes me a bit nervous that maybe they didn't get my application or something? I know its silly to worry about (the status circle thing is green and it says they received my CV/references/proposal), but I find it weird that I wouldn't be notified at all... Did everyone else get notified?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, emsmith said:

Congratulations on your acceptance to the SACP program!! That's great news!

 

I checked my email and the Calgary admissions portal, and haven't received a rejection email/there's no admission decision ... I'm definitely expecting a rejection since I haven't been invited to interview, but it makes me a bit nervous that maybe they didn't get my application or something? I know its silly to worry about (the status circle thing is green and it says they received my CV/references/proposal), but I find it weird that I wouldn't be notified at all... Did everyone else get notified?

I'm the exact same as you. No email, no interview, and my portal still has the green circle. Curious to see what others say as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Edge98 said:

I'm the exact same as you. No email, no interview, and my portal still has the green circle. Curious to see what others say as well. 

Interesting! Maybe there was an easy auto-reject pile and my application landed in there (my proposal was so specific down to the CIHR grant I was working on, that if that person didn't get me, I wouldn't have fit with a single other person - so it was an easy reject for me!). You may be in a waitlisted pile with no interview but also not an easy rejection? I see several others posted a rejection yesterday too so I think maybe just that initial cut was notified? 

Also for both my rejection as well as my offer of admission - my portal hasn't been updated - still a green circle. Both notifications came through email with attachments. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

For people who are assuming rejections this year and will be applying again (and also for people who have applied more than once before). I would like to know how to move forward:

1. Did you apply to the same PI's again? Do you find new PI's?

- If so, how do you go about handling the rejection this year. Do I email them asking how to improve my application? Do I tell them I intend on applying again in the fall? Is it weird if I ask to volunteer/ work in their lab over the summer?? 

2. What can I do over the next few months to improve my application? I am graduating from undergrad in April. My GPA seems to be alright. I don't have any publications so I suppose thats something to focus on. I am trying to find another research position for work. There's probably a lot more I can do that is not coming to mind right now.

Any help or advice at all would be appreciated!

Edited by admissionsrhard
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2021 at 11:18 PM, clinical coffee said:

Congratulations to those who received acceptances! 

I'm not really well-versed in the process, do you know if there are more rounds of acceptances that go out, or if UTSC is accepting only 4 students this year? Thanks in advance :)

I know that UTSC typically accept 4-5 a year. My understanding of this is that 4 were sent out (first round), and subsequent rounds/offers might occur later in the cycle if any of the 4 initial acceptances decline the offer. Hope this helps

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2021 at 1:50 PM, Edge98 said:

Thank you! Do you mind if I pm you to chat more about your experience with this? 

Of course! Please do :)

23 hours ago, freudianslipintogradschool said:

That's a good question! I don't know if it matters per se one person I'm thinking of has a MEd. Tbh I think the most important thing would still be your research productivity and experience. I dont think the MA or MEd in counselling would hurt you as long as your application still provides evidence for your skills as a researcher

I think you would have a slight advantage of doing an MA counselling psych if your goal is PhD Clinical psych. If you did a thesis, you would have less (or no!) coursework to make up. 

The MEd counselling paves a logical path to an EdD counselling psych. The folks I know who've done an MEd first have had to fully do another MA clinical psych before the PhD. 

I don't think any choice would permanently "close the door" to a PhD in clinical psych but in my experience, the MA with a thesis is generally an easier fit. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2021 at 11:18 PM, clinical coffee said:

Congratulations to those who received acceptances! 

I'm not really well-versed in the process, do you know if there are more rounds of acceptances that go out, or if UTSC is accepting only 4 students this year? Thanks in advance :)

UTSC is only accepting 4 students this year unfortunately (absolutely CRAZY to think about since they received just under 500 apps this year). The program is incredibly small, so normally they only accept 5 students, but because one student from last year's cohort deferred their acceptance, they are only accepting 4. But they could definitely send out more offers depending on if people from first round reject!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi! Does anyone have any tips on what to expect when chatting/interviewing with your POI's current graduate students? 
Also, is this a good sign? Would a POI bother connecting an applicant to their graduate students after an interview if the applicant was not their top choice? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Edge98 said:

I'm the exact same as you. No email, no interview, and my portal still has the green circle. Curious to see what others say as well. 

Update: I've been officially rejected (via email - portal is the same) - maybe they're doing it alphabetically or something haha

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, gradddhopeful said:

Hi! Does anyone have any tips on what to expect when chatting/interviewing with your POI's current graduate students? 
Also, is this a good sign? Would a POI bother connecting an applicant to their graduate students after an interview if the applicant was not their top choice? 

Hey! I would say this is a great sign :) The only reason they'd be connecting you with them would be so that they can get a better feel or who you are as well. A portion of the decision is "fit with lab/supervisor" sooo meeting with their grad students and getting to know them allows the POIs current grad students to chime in on their opinions as well. 

 

I'd have a list of questions prepared for them - though I find this is most successful when you focus on their individual experiences within the program, lab, their own research etc. It's also your chance to get to know them and the low down on the inner workings of the program too! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2021 at 4:42 PM, NeuroLim3 said:

Has anyone heard from York for the Neuropsych adult stream? Pls DM me :)

 

Just an FYI from a current York student: the neuropsych stream isn't treated as a separate program during the admissions process, since anyone who is accepted into the clinical program (either C or CD) can choose to go into the neuropsych stream. So results about York re: clinical should be applicable to you!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Very excited to say that I just received an invite from my POI at York to interview sometime next week (Clinical-Developmental Program). He also mentioned in his email that the clinical-developmental virtual open house will be February 26th so that might help give you a sense of when you can expect to be contacted by - I'm sure lots of professors have not reached out to applicants yet :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Edge98 said:

Same here! I received the email yesterday.. oh well. 

Sorry to hear about the unfortunate news, it's truly difficult, I have also already received a few rejections and that pit in your stomach is the worst feeling. 

I am just wondering if you are talking about the SACP program at Calgary or clinical? I applied to SACP only and have been really anxious all day anticipating that rejection email so I just thought I'd clarify.

Thanks 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Terelia said:

Very excited to say that I just received an invite from my POI at York to interview sometime next week (Clinical-Developmental Program). He also mentioned in his email that the clinical-developmental virtual open house will be February 26th so that might help give you a sense of when you can expect to be contacted by - I'm sure lots of professors have not reached out to applicants yet :)

congrats!! good luck in your interview and glad to hear that professors are not done reaching out to students

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2021 at 10:15 AM, iamstressed said:

What are the chances of admission after an interview? Is it more likely? Less? The same?

 

Hey about our windsor message, its no problem at all! I got insight I can share :) they said they won't release for another "couple of weeks" I emailed the secretary. Hopefully soon :( have you thought of reaching out to your PI? Mine was Ben Kuo. I'll keep you updated. But I don't think I'm gonna take Windsor's offer. But if I hear I will let you know!! I know its frustrating but hang in there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2021 at 1:14 PM, admissionsrhard said:

For people who are assuming rejections this year and will be applying again (and also for people who have applied more than once before). I would like to know how to move forward:

1. Did you apply to the same PI's again? Do you find new PI's?

- If so, how do you go about handling the rejection this year. Do I email them asking how to improve my application? Do I tell them I intend on applying again in the fall? Is it weird if I ask to volunteer/ work in their lab over the summer?? 

2. What can I do over the next few months to improve my application? I am graduating from undergrad in April. My GPA seems to be alright. I don't have any publications so I suppose thats something to focus on. I am trying to find another research position for work. There's probably a lot more I can do that is not coming to mind right now.

Any help or advice at all would be appreciated!

i applied last cycle when i was in my fourth year of undergrad and wasn't successful. this year, i've applied to 6 Canadian schools and so far have received five interviews, and one acceptance. i applied last year mostly to get a sense of the application process and only applied to and interviewed at one Canadian school (McGill), but i hope this is still somewhat helpful!

the number one thing i would really try and work out/focus on is research fit. instead of looking at what the PIs' interests are and shaping your statement around that, i tried to really define what i was passionate about and ask my supervisors and friends, spend ample time browsing website profiles and recent pubs, and attend virtual open house events (if possible). if you're truly interested in working with PIs you've applied to this year, there is no harm in applying again! i'm sure different supervisors would feel differently about this, but i would reach out and thank them for their consideration, reiterate your interest, and maybe bring up a couple of things you're doing to gain experience or strengthen your application too. you can also ask a trusted supervisor or friend about this!

as for improving the application, i would try and look at your profile holistically and think about its strengths and weaknesses, but also how the different aspects complement each other. for example, last year i had a pretty strong GPA, test scores, research experience, but they didn't match all that well with the PIs current research focus, which became obvious in the interview. i think publications are looked upon really favourably, but in my experience strong research experience (depth rather than breadth) is probably the most important factor. i have one manuscript in prep (and no pubs), but i have quite a bit of research experience compared to most people just out of undergrad. evidence of this experience (such as publications) obviously are super helpful, but i think PIs are also looking for how you speak to these experiences and the skills you've learned from them. also, if you're applying to a clinical psych program specifically, i would try and gain some clinical experience if possible, especially if you have significant research experiences already, and aim for at least one opportunity you can speak to in-depth. of course, it really helps if it fits well with your research interests! one last thing i can think of is test scores - i'm not sure whether these will be required and how much weight they'll have in the future, but a higher score can't hurt! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Irishsnowflakes said:

 

 

Hey about our windsor message, its no problem at all! I got insight I can share :) they said they won't release for another "couple of weeks" I emailed the secretary. Hopefully soon :( have you thought of reaching out to your PI? Mine was Ben Kuo. I'll keep you updated. But I don't think I'm gonna take Windsor's offer. But if I hear I will let you know!! I know its frustrating but hang in there. 

 

For anyone who applied to BK, I emailed him last year and he said he isn't taking new grad students 😕

Link to post
Share on other sites

School: York 

Program: Clinical Psychology (Developmental)

Date of invite: February 8

Date of interview: February 16 (with POI), February 26 (with department)

Email invite directly from POI. So excited! This application season has been BRUTAL. Obviously not a sure thing but nice to have some hope again...had kind of given up this year. On my fourth year of applying...if this is what you want don't give up!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.