Jump to content

Canadian MSW Applicants 2021


Recommended Posts

Hey everyone! long-time lurker here. 

I got waitlisted for U of T yesterday for the second year in a row. I'm a little disappointed because it was my first choice, but I've been accepted to Carleton's 2-year program, and yesterday was also accepted off the UWindsor waitlist. 

Wondering if anyone is attending these programs or has some insight on them? I am leaning towards Carleton, but would love to hear about any experiences or feedback on both. 

Thanks in advance & sending hugs to everyone going through this wild grad school process :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just to paint a picture of what’s happening (also to feel less alone haha) could everyone who hasn’t heard from U of T yet like this post? 

Yes same here. I feel physically sick waiting all day. It is crazy making. Who here is waiting on U of T? (Show with a like)

This must be some kind of social experiment 

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, pink_msw said:

Hey everyone! long-time lurker here. 

I got waitlisted for U of T yesterday for the second year in a row. I'm a little disappointed because it was my first choice, but I've been accepted to Carleton's 2-year program, and yesterday was also accepted off the UWindsor waitlist. 

Wondering if anyone is attending these programs or has some insight on them? I am leaning towards Carleton, but would love to hear about any experiences or feedback on both. 

Thanks in advance & sending hugs to everyone going through this wild grad school process :) 

Congratulations! From what I know, Windsor is more general whereas Carleton has more specializations! So I think it depends on what you want out of your degree. Also before you got off the waitlist from Windsor, did your process date change?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AlexaS said:

Congratulations! From what I know, Windsor is more general whereas Carleton has more specializations! So I think it depends on what you want out of your degree. Also before you got off the waitlist from Windsor, did your process date change?

Thank you for this! 

For Windsor, my process date changed on April 7th and I was accepted on April 9th. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love to talk to anyone who has completed the post-degree BSW at Dalhousie!! How did you like the program, and did you find it prepared you well before applying to the advanced standing programs? Thanks in advance :) Feel free to message me! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, sofiahats said:

Thanks for the info! I'll definitely keep your offer in mind if I choose to go that route! I know my program had a lot of the courses but I know I'll have to double check as it was a bachelor of applied science degree that I got. I also got my SSW at the same time through my undergrad at Guelph-Humber so I'm hoping i've met the requirements already! The biggest incentive for me is that I can then apply for the 1 year msw. It's just hard because I live about an hour away from waterloo (without traffic) and I can't afford moving away. I know the website says it's in person but I'm wondering if they have an online or hybrid option that would allow me to stay at home.

I definitely get that! I live in Waterloo right now for my undergrad because i was stuck in a lease, but as of the Fall, I'm moving back home to Mississauga so when I start the BSW in the fall, i'm gonna have to drive back and forth on Thursdays and Fridays for classes. The nice thing is that for the placement, you can request a specific location and it doesn't have to be in Waterloo. I think that's a huge advantage because it saves you from the commute every day. I believe the part-time program is offered online, but not the full-time program (unless because of covid of course) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MSWstress2021 said:

For all those waiting on Laurier, let's hope this is our week!

Can people like this if Laurier is your top choice!? 

I’m also wondering how Laurier sends out their admissions, if anyone knows? Historically, is it as drawn out as UOT? Or will they all be sent out relatively around the same time? 

Edited by jessjae2021
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, jessjae2021 said:

I’m also wondering how Laurier send out admissions if anyone knows? Historically, It’s it as drawn out as UOT? Or will they all be sent out relatively around the same time? 

Last year they started going out on the 9th and I've seen some people talking about people getting them on the 15th. However, I don't think they do it by acceptance, waitlist, rejection; I was a rejection and got mine the same day others got acceptances. I think it's done alphabetically because my last name starts with a B. It's probably always going to take a school at least a few days to get stuff out because they have to notify hundreds of applicants.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jessjae2021 said:

I’m also wondering how Laurier sends out their admissions, if anyone knows? Historically, is it as drawn out as UOT? Or will they all be sent out relatively around the same time? 

Yes! Let's hope this is our week..! I was waitlisted for UofT 2 nights ago (bummer...)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Everyone!

Been lurking the forum for the past week. I am currently a first year student at UofT (second year this fall) and would like to encourage you all to not give up! Last year, many students were waitlisted as well. It may be a bit more competitive this year due to all the deferrals made last year due to the Covid-19 pandemic. The future is unknown so keep an eye out! A few of my peers were waitlisted and got into the program a few days before the program even started, so don't lose hope! 

For those that got accepted, congratulations! Feel free to message me about the program or any burning questions you may have. I would love to share my thoughts and answer any questions. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kristybluh said:

Hi Everyone!

Been lurking the forum for the past week. I am currently a first year student at UofT (second year this fall) and would like to encourage you all to not give up! Last year, many students were waitlisted as well. It may be a bit more competitive this year due to all the deferrals made last year due to the Covid-19 pandemic. The future is unknown so keep an eye out! A few of my peers were waitlisted and got into the program a few days before the program even started, so don't lose hope! 

For those that got accepted, congratulations! Feel free to message me about the program or any burning questions you may have. I would love to share my thoughts and answer any questions. 

Love this. Honestly I was waitlisted last year and didn’t have much to change in my application other than another year of experience in the same job I had for several years😕 (I was not confident and almost didn’t reapply but I did and I got accepted on Thursday!) The one thing I did differently was really taking time and focus on my personal statement. I think people on this forum are focused in on the experience aspect of the application (which is definitely important but don’t beat yourself over opportunities that you can’t help.) I genuinely believe your statement is where you can really shine so please don’t give up, reapply and make sure your personal essays impress!

best advice I can give:

Research the school and its faculty, find a faculty member who’s focus and research aligns with your own interests and include them in your personal statement; why your interested in learning from them and why their research is important to you.. maybe even how you plan on using their research in your own practice. 
 

please don’t give up. I’m rooting for all of us. It’s worth fighting for :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I definitely agree to the above. I wish I had someone in the program that I could reach out to and ask questions. A lot of us (in the program) are fairly busy and even the buddies you get matched with once you enter (optional to sign up) don't often have time to answer immediate questions. The program is quite intense and require your full attention. Again, if you have any questions about UofT or the program itself, I am free to answer them via private message :) Cheers~

Link to post
Share on other sites

So for some reason I didn't check my other email and got a response already. Last name R, been placed on waitlist for UofT 😕 I'm seeing so many replies that most don't get off that waitlist and it makes me feel pretty hopeless, but again this is my first time applying I just hope I have a chance

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2021 at 8:56 PM, MSWstress2021 said:

I am curious why people would prefer U of T over Western? Also those who applied to Laurier and U of T which is your top choice?

This is a great question! Im very curious too!! Personally, I did my undergrad at western so I like the idea of moving somewhere else for a masters. Also, UofT is known as a clinical program I believe, which may better prepare me for counselling which is my end goal while Western is direct practice (still really great but not sure if it makes much of a difference tbh) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.