Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Last year’s thread had a really handy stipend list for a lot of public health PhD programs before it disappeared... did anyone happen to save it? Or does anyone want to contribute to a new one? I found that really really useful when applying because some of the info (esp for specific programs) is hard to find.

I can contribute two-

BU Epi is $36,000 over 12 months, + tuition + all fees and free health insurance. 4 years guaranteed, no TA required. 

Yale EMD is $38,050 over 12 months + tuition + fees and health insurance. 5 years. 2 terms TA required. 

 

Edited by ASA15
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just received an acceptance to the University of Oxford for a DPhil in Population Health! I'm shook! I was rejected for the past 3 years from numerous schools. KEEP PUSHING GUYS!

Hi everyone, I don't know how to process emotions well and I am still in shock but I just received notice of my acceptance from Johns Hopkins into their Mental Health PhD program. For the past week I

First acceptance y'all! University of Minnesota Epi PhD program, social/behavioral epidemiology track

Posted Images

31 minutes ago, ASA15 said:

Last year’s thread had a really handy stipend list for a lot of public health PhD programs before it disappeared... did anyone happen to save it? Or does anyone want to contribute to a new one? I found that really really useful when applying because some of the info (esp for specific programs) is hard to find.

I can contribute two-

BU Epi is $36,000 over 12 months, + tuition + all fees and free health insurance.

Yale EMD is $38,050 over 12 months + tuition + fees and health insurance 

 

I actually did save it:

 

Yale : 36k guaranteed for 5 years with a responsibility of 2 semester TAship
Harvard: 36k guaranteed for 4 years with 1 semester TA responsibility (Hopeful2020PhD please correct me)
Brown: 36K guaranteed for 5 years, but all semesters should be RA or TA from the first semester
UCSF: almost 40k stipend for 4 years
Hopkins: Just tuition is guaranteed for 4 years, if get funded, almost 24k per year
Penn State Uni: 31k stipend (not sure about duration)
Tulane: 25k per year (not sure about duration)
UPenn: 34k per year (not sure about duration)
Emory: >30k (not sure about duration)
BU: >30k (not sure about duration)
UofMinnesota: 24-25k (not sure about duration)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Public_health_and_cats said:

Hi all! Just found this thread - super glad it exists! Just got a rejection from Yale SBS PhD program. This is my third rejection (also Harvard and Brown). I was waitlisted at Johns Hopkins but I am not super hopeful (I doubt many people turn down JHU). I took that one pretty hard because my interview went fantastic and I really felt that this program was a perfect fit (plus I was notified on my birthday - boo). I am waiting on two more but it is looking like this year isn't my year. Any thoughts on the likelihood of getting off a PhD waitlist?

Which track are you waitlisted at for Hopkins? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MCH_Hopeful_2021 said:

For those that are admitted or have accepted an offer:

How did/will you celebrate and how do plan to prepare? Also, is anyone quitting their job anytime soon? 

 

4 hours ago, ASA15 said:

Ordered takeout and had a nice-ish bottle of champagne. 
 

And I’m keeping my job through August pretty much I think... ideally I’d take a few months off to travel, but since that’s probably not happening this summer I figure I might as well keep making money while I can... 

 

3 hours ago, XXXXXXphd2021 said:

 

I booked a trip to Hawaii in early March, I thought it would be either for celebration or for healing. Now that I am waitlisted, I guess it's for both LOL. I know travel/vacation is discouraged but I am vaccinated and this is much needed. 

I was in shock and did not celebrate on the day of. But now I bought a bottle of champagne, and I am hoping that I will be able to go back home (Brazil) at least once before starting the program. 

Until then, I'm finishing my MPH in the summer, so I will be studying/working until the first week of August. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PhDAPP2021 said:

Just received an offer from UoT IHPME! No funding info is attached. Anyone knows how does their funding process work?

I also just got an offer yesterday! Congrats!!

I have no idea... I was under the impression from my previous convos with profs that it's supposed to be tuition + stipend of $17500 excuding RA/TAships but am not clear whether it's guaranteed or not

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, MCH_Hopeful_2021 said:

For those that are admitted or have accepted an offer:

How did/will you celebrate and how do plan to prepare? Also, is anyone quitting their job anytime soon? 

 

15 hours ago, ASA15 said:

Ordered takeout and had a nice-ish bottle of champagne. 
 

And I’m keeping my job through August pretty much I think... ideally I’d take a few months off to travel, but since that’s probably not happening this summer I figure I might as well keep making money while I can... 

 

15 hours ago, XXXXXXphd2021 said:

 

I booked a trip to Hawaii in early March, I thought it would be either for celebration or for healing. Now that I am waitlisted, I guess it's for both LOL. I know travel/vacation is discouraged but I am vaccinated and this is much needed. 

 

11 hours ago, CommunityHealth21 said:

 

 

I was in shock and did not celebrate on the day of. But now I bought a bottle of champagne, and I am hoping that I will be able to go back home (Brazil) at least once before starting the program. 

Until then, I'm finishing my MPH in the summer, so I will be studying/working until the first week of August. 

We popped a bottle of Costco-brand Prosecco and ordered some Domino's!!! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, publichealthPhD said:

Rejected from Yale SBS. 4/4 rejections!  This is not what I was hoping for this year, but I'm trying to see this as an opportunity for more growth.

Which schools did you apply to?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Teebi said:

Have anyone heard back from Johns Hopkins DrPH Program? I applied to science implementation track! So far, complete silence from JHU.

I haven't heard anything at all. It's been total radio silence which is very unnerving. I applied to the Global Health track.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ASA15 said:

Officially in at Yale EMD! My dream program, and I’m so excited!

This is my second time applying to PhD programs. The first time (2 years ago) I applied to like 11 schools... was accepted to a few, but none of my first choices, and none with great funding (UW was a love of mine, but couldn’t deal with their funding situation). I chose to get 2 years of additional experience in order to really clarify my interests and goals, and applied to only 4 schools this time (something I was really regretting like a month ago) but ones with better fit matches. Was accepted to 2/4, including my first choice! 
 

So for anyone who didn’t get into the program they wanted this year... don’t lose hope! Everything happens as it’s meant to!

Also will be declining by spot at BU Epi... so hopefully it goes to the person who asked about BU waitlist here last week :) 

That was me, we will see :). I live in the New Haven area so let me know if you have any questions about housing! Some of the landlords are terrible. I would highly recommend staying away from anything owned by Mandy Management. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, publichealthPhD said:

I actually did save it:

 

 

Yale : 36k guaranteed for 5 years with a responsibility of 2 semester TAship
Harvard: 36k guaranteed for 4 years with 1 semester TA responsibility (Hopeful2020PhD please correct me)
Brown: 36K guaranteed for 5 years, but all semesters should be RA or TA from the first semester
UCSF: almost 40k stipend for 4 years
Hopkins: Just tuition is guaranteed for 4 years, if get funded, almost 24k per year
Penn State Uni: 31k stipend (not sure about duration)
Tulane: 25k per year (not sure about duration)
UPenn: 34k per year (not sure about duration)
Emory: >30k (not sure about duration)
BU: >30k (not sure about duration)
UofMinnesota: 24-25k (not sure about duration)

 

 

13 hours ago, ASA15 said:

Last year’s thread had a really handy stipend list for a lot of public health PhD programs before it disappeared... did anyone happen to save it? Or does anyone want to contribute to a new one? I found that really really useful when applying because some of the info (esp for specific programs) is hard to find.

I can contribute two-

BU Epi is $36,000 over 12 months, + tuition + all fees and free health insurance. 4 years guaranteed, no TA required. 

Yale EMD is $38,050 over 12 months + tuition + fees and health insurance. 5 years. 2 terms TA required. 

 

This is sooooo helpful! Updating the list based on @ASA15's notes and adding Columbia's from their program handbook and what I can remember about NYU. Please feel free to copy this list and add info on other programs!!!

- Brown: 36K guaranteed for 5 years, TA required all semesters

- BU: 36k guaranteed for 4 years, no TA required

- Columbia (Mailman): 35k guaranteed for 5 years, TA required for 1 semester

- Emory: >30k stipend for an unknown duration, (TA requirements unknown)

- Harvard: 36k guaranteed for 4 years, TA required for 1 semester (@hopeful2020PhD please correct me)

- JHU (Hopkins): just tuition guaranteed~24k stipend for 4 years but NOT guaranteed, (TA requirements unknown)

- NYU: 25k??? for 5 years but only for 9 months/year, no TA required (@teabunny do you or anyone else remember the exact amount from the NYU interview day?)

- Penn State Uni: 31k for an unknown duration, (TA requirements unknown)

- Tulane: 25k for an unknown duration, (TA requirements unknown)

- UCSF: ~40k guaranteed for 4 years, (TA requirements unknown)

- U Minnesota: 24-25k for unknown duration, (TA requirements unknown)

- U Penn: 34k stipend for an unknown duration, (TA requirements unknown)

- Yale: 38k guaranteed for 5 years, TA required for 2 semesters

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, PhDProgramSocialBehavior said:

GDEC already sent out acceptances I believe. I’m pretty sure all International Health acceptances were sent out last week 

Wow... Under the page where people post acceptances, I haven't seen any for the Phd in GDEC. How do you know they've sent out acceptances???  My application still says "Under review". 

 

Sorry for bothering you. This is so stressful. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EpiPhD7 said:

Which schools did you apply to?

Harvard PHS GHP, Brown HSR, Yale SBS, Hopkins PFRH

There were many other programs I considered applying to this year, but other factors (like geographic proximity to family during pandemic, not being 100% ready to leave my job, strong fit, and funding) kept my list small and ambitious. I'm feeling more ready to take on this step and the pandemic should look different after more people have vaccines, so I'm going to expand my list for next year.

Edited by publichealthPhD
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Anon_Phd said:

I saw rejections for health systems on the admissions result page, but I don't think I've seen acceptances yet.

I saw those too (but I don’t think those people interviewed) and I know someone in this thread mentioned being waitlisted this week. This is so so stressful 😭

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MNCH Hopeful said:

I saw those too (but I don’t think those people interviewed) and I know someone in this thread mentioned being waitlisted this week. This is so so stressful 😭

I know. I honestly don't know what to do with myself. I can't focus on work because I keep refreshing the admissions page. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.