Jump to content

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, CommunityHealth21 said:

 

I think it really varies by program. I got accepted at UIC MCH and I am not going to accept my offer, but they asked me to wait for my official admission letter before rejecting it. Also, I was just accepted to USF CFH, about a week ago, but I know their deadline for the first admitted group to decide was march 15th.  

Congrats on USF! Are you still leaning towards Texas? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just received an acceptance to the University of Oxford for a DPhil in Population Health! I'm shook! I was rejected for the past 3 years from numerous schools. KEEP PUSHING GUYS!

Hi everyone, I don't know how to process emotions well and I am still in shock but I just received notice of my acceptance from Johns Hopkins into their Mental Health PhD program. For the past week I

First acceptance y'all! University of Minnesota Epi PhD program, social/behavioral epidemiology track

Posted Images

Thanks! And did you mean Chicago, with UIC? If yes, no, I have accepted USF already. With UIC I already told them I'm rejecting the offer, but they said I should wait the official letter, not really sure why. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CommunityHealth21 said:

Thanks! And did you mean Chicago, with UIC? If yes, no, I have accepted USF already. With UIC I already told them I'm rejecting the offer, but they said I should wait the official letter, not really sure why. 

Haha. I very much spaced! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On UC Berkeley’s DrPH page it says we may have to wait till June 1 if we’re on a waitlist. That is so late! I don’t know how we can plan to join the program if we find out so late. Anyone else waiting to hear from them before deciding on other offers? 

7E2EF5A6-CEBA-4AA5-8C83-E91AD5CCCFBE.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, kati2195 said:

I am also really curious about this! I am holding out on my offer because I am waiting for my first choice which is on a waitlist... so probably a lot of people are doing the same...

I let my programs know what I was doing as soon as I got official notice from my #1 (or maybe like 3 days later). I wanted to make it official, and clear my spot in programs I wasn't accepting.

From my first round of applications, I was waitlisted at 2 schools- was told I didn't make it off the waitlist at one program in like May/June (so it was expected), but the program I got off the waitlist at let me know on April 17. So unforunately I do think people wait it out until the end, and/or programs wait it out until they know how the "first round" went.

Link to post
Share on other sites

While we're on this topic, I'd love to get folks' thoughts on something. I'm pretty solidly between two programs right now (60/40 leaning one way) and I'm feeling the pressure with the decision deadline coming up. I'd like to visit one of the cities before making my decision but won't have a chance to until April 9th. I'm planning on making my decision immediately after, but will I be rubbing anyone the wrong way by waiting until the very last minute? I don't wanna sour my relationship with either advisor, as I'd like to collaborate with both throughout my career...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2021 at 1:00 PM, MNCH Hopeful said:

 

I also applied over the weekend! With April 15th a month away, I wonder how fast they’ll let us know or if they’ll interview. 

I reached out to admissions to find out. Here's the reply:

The timeline for the Global Health Sciences Ph.D. program is the same as the other programs. Please allow 4-6 weeks of departmental review and to receive a decision. Apologies in advance for any delays in receiving a decision. We've received a record number of applications this cycle and so the admissions committee has a large queue to review. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, srp10215 said:

While we're on this topic, I'd love to get folks' thoughts on something. I'm pretty solidly between two programs right now (60/40 leaning one way) and I'm feeling the pressure with the decision deadline coming up. I'd like to visit one of the cities before making my decision but won't have a chance to until April 9th. I'm planning on making my decision immediately after, but will I be rubbing anyone the wrong way by waiting until the very last minute? I don't wanna sour my relationship with either advisor, as I'd like to collaborate with both throughout my career...

Likely yes. But you’ve got to do what make sense to you. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, srp10215 said:

While we're on this topic, I'd love to get folks' thoughts on something. I'm pretty solidly between two programs right now (60/40 leaning one way) and I'm feeling the pressure with the decision deadline coming up. I'd like to visit one of the cities before making my decision but won't have a chance to until April 9th. I'm planning on making my decision immediately after, but will I be rubbing anyone the wrong way by waiting until the very last minute? I don't wanna sour my relationship with either advisor, as I'd like to collaborate with both throughout my career...

You have the right to wait until 4/15. I don't think you doing so should have any negative consequence on relationships.

If you're worried, I'd suggest sending a brief emailing reiterating your interest in the program and the PIs work, and then letting them know that you are waiting to make a decision until you can visit the city so you can make a more educated decision, especially with this year being so difficult in terms of travel. I would assume most people would understand you not wanting to commit to 4-5 years in a place you've literally never seen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2021 at 4:13 PM, DrPH21 said:

Hi! My interview was with the Director of the DrPH program. They asked questions about why I was interested in the DrPH, why the UIC DrPH specifically (note: highlight the fact that it focuses on adaptive leadership!), and asked me clarifying questions about my resume/personal statement. The Director said the program received about 50% more applicants this year. They also emphasized the requirements of the program e.g. 20 hours of classes/coursework per week, how to balance commitment with full-time job, etc. Overall, it was a very casual, warm conversation.

If you'd like to chat more, feel free to message. Thanks! Hope you get accepted, too!

Thank you so much for the helpful information DrPH21! Truly appreciate your help! 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MCH_Hopeful_2021 said:

Likely yes. But you’ve got to do what make sense to you. 

 

4 hours ago, ASA15 said:

You have the right to wait until 4/15. I don't think you doing so should have any negative consequence on relationships.

If you're worried, I'd suggest sending a brief emailing reiterating your interest in the program and the PIs work, and then letting them know that you are waiting to make a decision until you can visit the city so you can make a more educated decision, especially with this year being so difficult in terms of travel. I would assume most people would understand you not wanting to commit to 4-5 years in a place you've literally never seen.

Thank you for your perspectives!

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, publichealthPhD said:

I reached out to admissions to find out. Here's the reply:

The timeline for the Global Health Sciences Ph.D. program is the same as the other programs. Please allow 4-6 weeks of departmental review and to receive a decision. Apologies in advance for any delays in receiving a decision. We've received a record number of applications this cycle and so the admissions committee has a large queue to review. 

Thanks for the update! 6 weeks is cutting it close 😭

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2021 at 3:55 PM, DrPH or Bust said:

Just got accepted into NYU's DrPH program!! ❤️❤️

Congrats! Is that in GSPH? Have you decided about NY or Texas? I am asking because I am also considering the two locations.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also just got a rejection from UC Berkeley’s DrPH program. It’s been a rollercoaster of emotions the past month!!
 

Good luck to everyone starting programs in the fall, folks still waiting for decisions, and those who are reapplying. This was my 2nd application cycle and worked so hard to get to this stage! I’m also thrilled to say I accepted a fully funded offer from UCLA’s PhD in CHS last week! Stay persistent and strong y’all!! ♥️✊🏽

Edited by healthequitySF
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2021 at 9:38 AM, GlobalDrPH said:

Hi everyone. I've been lurking for quite awhile, but just posting for the first time. Thanks to everyone who has been posting along the way- it's been extremely helpful to know that other people are having the same feelings of anxiety, excitement and everything in between! I've heard back from most of the schools I applied to and it has certainly been a rollercoaster.

Current status:

Accepted: BU DrPH

Waitlisted: Harvard DrPH

Rejected: UC Berkeley DrPH, GW DrPH

Still waiting: Rutgers DrPH, Drexel DrPH

Harvard's waitlist letter wasn't very encouraging so not holding my breath, but exciting to make it that far nonetheless. Will likely go with BU as I have no desire to go through this application cycle again, but will wait until all decisions are made to finalize.

Heard back from Rutgers with an offer of admission! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, healthequitySF said:

Also just got a rejection from UC Berkeley’s DrPH program. It’s been a rollercoaster of emotions the past month!!
 

Good luck to everyone starting programs in the fall, folks still waiting for decisions, and those who are reapplying. This was my 2nd application cycle and worked so hard to get to this stage! I’m also thrilled to say I accepted a fully funded offer from UCLA’s PhD in CHS last week! Stay persistent and strong y’all!! ♥️✊🏽

Hi, I also plan to go to UCLA (Epi PhD) but I heard nothing about the funding. Is the funding information included in the official offer letter?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, BxEPI said:

Congrats! Is that in GSPH? Have you decided about NY or Texas? I am asking because I am also considering the two locations.

Yep!  And congratulations on your acceptances!  I'm waiting on 1 more decision to finalize everything.  NYU and UT-Houston are both great schools!  Feel free to message me, if you'd like to discuss it more.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is anyone here weighing options between PhD programs that allow them to continue working vs more traditional / 'prestigious' ones in which this would not be possible? As a mid-ish career professional (I'm 32) I see benefits to both approaches. Attending a less traditional program and continuing to work would ground my research / academic pursuits with more applied connection, would allow me to continue to build momentum within my current network as opposed to losing it / completely starting afresh, and would be more financially beneficial at least during the short term of the program. On the other hand, a more traditional program would allow more time for scholarship and close mentorship from PhD advisor, and could open different doors for career advancement down the road. This is probably only a decision I can make based on my very specific circumstances but thought what the heck, let's see if any of the smart folks on this forum are grappling with similar questions. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PHPhDApplicant said:

Is anyone here weighing options between PhD programs that allow them to continue working vs more traditional / 'prestigious' ones in which this would not be possible? As a mid-ish career professional (I'm 32) I see benefits to both approaches. Attending a less traditional program and continuing to work would ground my research / academic pursuits with more applied connection, would allow me to continue to build momentum within my current network as opposed to losing it / completely starting afresh, and would be more financially beneficial at least during the short term of the program. On the other hand, a more traditional program would allow more time for scholarship and close mentorship from PhD advisor, and could open different doors for career advancement down the road. This is probably only a decision I can make based on my very specific circumstances but thought what the heck, let's see if any of the smart folks on this forum are grappling with similar questions. 

What do you plan to do with the degree when you’re done? That would be the deciding factor for me. If I wanted an academic career or research career (at a university, medical school, think tank, etc), I’d do full time. If I wanted to climb the ranks of my current company, work in government (but not a strictly research capacity), a NGO, etc., Id go for the part time model 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2021fall phd said:

Hi, I also plan to go to UCLA (Epi PhD) but I heard nothing about the funding. Is the funding information included in the official offer letter?

Congrats! I received a separate funding offer directly from the CHS department about 2 weeks after my acceptance. In that offer I learned I was nominated for a fellowship. It took  the graduate division another 2 weeks to let me know I received the fellowship. Hope this helps! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.