Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, coffeeisforclosers said:

This forum was active, supportive, and lively for many months. Once people get their offers, they kinda go their own way and stop communicating in here, huh? It still is a great resource for the early application season, but doesn't feel connected like a group once people get dealt their cards.

Definitely true. But I think it’s because this thread is for applicants. When you’re already locked in, it’s not as relevant. And I think most hesitate to talk about their next steps (planning a move, quitting their shitty job, picking classes etc) when others are reeling from not hearing back. I’m a woman but I’m pretty willing to say that bragging about an admit while people are trying to pick up the pieces of a crazy cycle is a d*ck move. 
 

But with that said, if anyone wants to start a new thread about the hereafter, I’m definitely down to contribute! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just received an acceptance to the University of Oxford for a DPhil in Population Health! I'm shook! I was rejected for the past 3 years from numerous schools. KEEP PUSHING GUYS!

Hi everyone, I don't know how to process emotions well and I am still in shock but I just received notice of my acceptance from Johns Hopkins into their Mental Health PhD program. For the past week I

First acceptance y'all! University of Minnesota Epi PhD program, social/behavioral epidemiology track

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, MCH_Hopeful_2021 said:

Definitely true. But I think it’s because this thread is for applicants. When you’re already locked in, it’s not as relevant. And I think most hesitate to talk about their next steps (planning a move, quitting their shitty job, picking classes etc) when others are reeling from not hearing back. I’m a woman but I’m pretty willing to say that bragging about an admit while people are trying to pick up the pieces of a crazy cycle is a d*ck move. 
 

But with that said, if anyone wants to start a new thread about the hereafter, I’m definitely down to contribute! 

Also, I want to add that, although I found this forum super helpful, for others this place was damaging to their mental health. The admissions process is brutal and the collective anxiety here can be too much for many. So I don’t begrudge anyone from unplugging. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just been accepted to the GW PhD program in Global Public Health Sciences! After a stream of rejection mails, this is the first acceptance letter and I'm tearing up 😭 I was really prepared for the worst, as this is my second cycle of applying. I really couldn't believe at first though how I'd been rejected or waitlisted by so many schools I applied.. but to those who are still in the waiting game, don't give up yet. I got my interview request in mid March and nearly gave up as I knew the funded positions were highly competitive (they said they are taking only two students) - but you never know where life takes you to!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2021 at 7:44 PM, DrPH4KK said:

Is anyone else still waiting to hear from the UIC DrPH program or know what their response timeline looks like? I've seen a couple of posts from those that have been interviewed and/or received an acceptance there. This is the only school I have received no communication from since applying and I'm waiting on them to be able to make my final decision on which school to attend.

I'm in the same place.  I have not heard anything.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2021 at 1:44 AM, DrPH4KK said:

Is anyone else still waiting to hear from the UIC DrPH program or know what their response timeline looks like? I've seen a couple of posts from those that have been interviewed and/or received an acceptance there. This is the only school I have received no communication from since applying and I'm waiting on them to be able to make my final decision on which school to attend.

I emailed them a little more than a week ago and was told they are still reviewing applications and will notify applicants by the end of April. They had an increase in applications this year, so that seems to be slowing things down for the committee. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, XeDrPH said:

I emailed them a little more than a week ago and was told they are still reviewing applications and will notify applicants by the end of April. They had an increase in applications this year, so that seems to be slowing things down for the committee. 

 

Thank you for letting me know what they told you. I was about ready to inquire with them to try to get some information. That's too bad that they are not going to get the decisions all out until the end of the month. I have to let my other schools know my decision before the end of April. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DrPH4KK said:

Thank you for letting me know what they told you. I was about ready to inquire with them to try to get some information. That's too bad that they are not going to get the decisions all out until the end of the month. I have to let my other schools know my decision before the end of April. 

Hopefully you will hear something before you have to let other programs know! I am anxious to hear back as well; I only applied to UIC. I like the structure of their program, it's conducive to my work and home life. 

Good luck to you, and congrats on the other programs!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally finally FINALLY received my first offer of admission to the University of Maryland Environmental Health PhD program!!! However, it's unfunded for my first year so I'll be carrying a small stipend from one of my prior mentors and likely commuting from home to save rental costs. It's a dream program due to mentorship, connections, and projects so I don't want to turn it down! For those still waiting, it ain't over til it's over

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, EJ_PhD said:

Finally finally FINALLY received my first offer of admission to the University of Maryland Environmental Health PhD program!!! However, it's unfunded for my first year so I'll be carrying a small stipend from one of my prior mentors and likely commuting from home to save rental costs. It's a dream program due to mentorship, connections, and projects so I don't want to turn it down! For those still waiting, it ain't over til it's over

Congrats! I know that must feel great. 
 

Why is it not funded in year 1? Is no one funded in that first year? Glad you have a plan to make it work though! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, MCH_Hopeful_2021 said:

Congrats! I know that must feel great. 
 

Why is it not funded in year 1? Is no one funded in that first year? Glad you have a plan to make it work though! 

Thanks! And no, students are funded their first year normally through TA/RA, but I applied after the priority deadline

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, EJ_PhD said:

Thanks! And no, students are funded their first year normally through TA/RA, but I applied after the priority deadline

Ah. I see. Gotcha. But you have a solid plan though, so you’re in great shape. Congrats again! 🥂 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Random question for those accepted. Once you accepted your offer, what has the communication been like? Have you received a ton of information yet? Or expecting it after April 15th?

To all waiting to hear back, praying for y’all! The waiting game is horribly tiring but hang in there!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mj123 said:

Random question for those accepted. Once you accepted your offer, what has the communication been like? Have you received a ton of information yet? Or expecting it after April 15th?

To all waiting to hear back, praying for y’all! The waiting game is horribly tiring but hang in there!

I got a little bit of info- some login stuff for email, and a list of next steps that are mainly for the summer. But not much! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2021 at 4:58 PM, EJ_PhD said:

Thanks! And no, students are funded their first year normally through TA/RA, but I applied after the priority deadline

Congratulations! I’m in the same exact boat for UMD, applied after the priority deadline. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone hear from JHU DrPH program? Any updates from their waitlisted candidates? I sent a few emails but absolute silence in the past 40 days.

Edited by linda_jhsph
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, linda_jhsph said:

Does anyone hear from JHU DrPH program? Any updates from their waitlisted candidates? I sent a few emails but absolute silence in the past 40 days.

This was my email response on 04/08 :(

"Sorry for the late response. You are still waitlisted and I don't see that much movement from now until the 15th. Sorry if this isn't good news.

 

Hope you are doing well.

 

Cristina" 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PHealth121 said:

This was my email response on 04/08 :(

"Sorry for the late response. You are still waitlisted and I don't see that much movement from now until the 15th. Sorry if this isn't good news.

 

Hope you are doing well.

 

Cristina" 

Thanks for sharing! Fingers crossed for both of us! I'm applying to Implementation Science track. How about you?

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, linda_jhsph said:

Does anyone hear from JHU DrPH program? Any updates from their waitlisted candidates? I sent a few emails but absolute silence in the past 40 days.

I declined maybe a week or two ago now. I know the deadline to decide is April 15 so hopefully there will be some more slots soon!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know that we're near the end and very close to being disbanded but ya'll I just have to say it: THANK YOU!

You all have been a tremendous source of support and strength and I cannot say enough how meaningful it's been to connect with many of you offline, in real life (zoom), etc.

I didn't think I'd find a community of people who in the face of a pandemic, national unrest, etc., were like "you know what? F*ck it, let's apply"--but I'm so very happy I did. 

So cheers, you brilliant crazies! Now let's go leave our imprint on this field. 🍾🥂

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ajrw said:

I declined maybe a week or two ago now. I know the deadline to decide is April 15 so hopefully there will be some more slots soon!

Thank you. Stay patient for another few days!

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Public_health_and_cats said:

Anyone having any luck getting off a waitlist at the last minute? Fingers crossed for everyone still waiting!

Just had an interview for a school I was on the waitlist for! Makes it a little difficult since this is also the deadline for other acceptances but I'm sure we're all navigating as best we can. Good luck to everyone if you are waiting on news!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.